Heart of the issue

keychange

I had heart monitor from when I used to ride a mountain bike. Out of interest I put it on today as I rode around my new practice track set up in a nearby paddock ... my heart rate peaked at 167 which as a 57 year old is around my limit and averaged around 140 bpm for 30 minutes, imagine what it was doing before I lost 10Kgs weight. Then again probably explains how I lost the weight, however this was by no means a difficult ride - I have worked much harder on some rides and one has to stop think - should I stop more often and think longer before a I blow a valve :wacko: :wacko:

I had heart monitor from when I used to ride a mountain bike. Out of interest I put it on today as I rode around my new practice track set up in a nearby paddock ... my heart rate peaked at 167 which as a 57 year old is around my limit and averaged around 140 bpm for 30 minutes, imagine what it was doing before I lost 10Kgs weight. Then again probably explains how I lost the weight, however this was by no means a difficult ride - I have worked much harder on some rides and one has to stop think - should I stop more often and think longer before a I blow a valve :wacko: :wacko:

Depends on lots of variables? Temperature, your normal resting rate, illness recently, any history of problems and how you actually felt at the time? Nothing like testing someone to make their heart rate to rise.

If its concerning you (which it is or you wouldn't ask) get it checked, will put your mind at rest.

When I started riding with some local trials guys last year the level of exertion did concern me and at that time my doctor encouraged me to continue although my blood pressure was high and thus the weight loss. My blood pressure is now normal without need for medication and normal resting heart rate is around low 60's bpm. I am also reasonably fit for my age - walking briskly around 5 kms most days or riding exercise bike when weather turns foul. When my sons, all late 20's and fit come to visit and we go for a ride they give out long before I do.

So maybe my technique (or lack of it) is a contributing factor in fact I sure of it but maybe it is also just a bloody hard work out. I don't plan to stop riding but now I am aware of it I might take more regular and slightly longer breathers.... I just thought this was a significant reading and so maybe other older riders, especially those coming back or starting late as I did should be aware of just how much a load this great fun sport can put on your body.

When I started riding with some local trials guys last year the level of exertion did concern me and at that time my doctor encouraged me to continue although my blood pressure was high and thus the weight loss. My blood pressure is now normal without need for medication and normal resting heart rate is around low 60's bpm. I am also reasonably fit for my age - walking briskly around 5 kms most days or riding exercise bike when weather turns foul. When my sons, all late 20's and fit come to visit and we go for a ride they give out long before I do.

So maybe my technique (or lack of it) is a contributing factor in fact I sure of it but maybe it is also just a bloody hard work out. I don't plan to stop riding but now I am aware of it I might take more regular and slightly longer breathers.... I just thought this was a significant reading and so maybe other older riders, especially those coming back or starting late as I did should be aware of just how much a load this great fun sport can put on your body.

In an actual trial its more little bursts of exercise so practicing will always be a greater exertion as you don't really stop to walk a section or queue up. Sounds like your doing well and the best judge of yourself is you. Stay WELL hydrated and make sure you take in enough glucose and a little salt, without those your heart will be working harder to compensate.

how can you know what your max "is"?

The only really accurate method is calculated from an ECG while you run on a treadmill. However there are a few standard measures and the most common is 220 minus your age so for me at 57 it equals 163bpm. On the same scale oxbikes maximum rate is 156 - but maybe he had his measured under ECG and he may be quite fit.

Another formula supposedly more reliable is 205.8 − (0.685

The only really accurate method is calculated from an ECG while you run on a treadmill. However there are a few standard measures and the most common is 220 minus your age so for me at 57 it equals 163bpm. On the same scale oxbikes maximum rate is 156 - but maybe he had his measured under ECG and he may be quite fit.

Another formula supposedly more reliable is 205.8 − (0.685

so what he meant was his safe maximum is *** rather than his max is.

It is an indicative figure - generally it is recommended that you don't exceed it or stay on it for any length of time. But it isn't a hard rule - my 60 year old brother-in-law is an Iron Man - swims 2 kms - cycles 160 kms then runs a marathon. I am sure his heart could jump start a D9 Caterpillar.

But for your average person they recommend that you exercise at somewhere between 60% and 80% of your upper limit.

It is an indicative figure - generally it is recommended that you don't exceed it or stay on it for any length of time. But it isn't a hard rule - my 60 year old brother-in-law is an Iron Man - swims 2 kms - cycles 160 kms then runs a marathon. I am sure his heart could jump start a D9 Caterpillar.

But for your average person they recommend that you exercise at somewhere between 60% and 80% of your upper limit.

Most people would call it quits way before reaching maximum. At Loughborogh Uni there were 10 (all advanced PT's) of us involved in doing max testing on a treadmill and on a leg press. 9 people all just turned round and said they'd reached maximum when they felt they'd had enough, which probably equates to 60-80%.

I'm pigheaded and obsessed with health testing so was the only one that did a true max. At max I had blurred vision, slurred speech, and couldn't even reach for the emergency stop button. My predicted max was 220 - 24 and I went way past that. I'd of chosen to stop earlier but couldn't do anything other than fall. The lecturer waited till he could see me on the verge of collapse and could see me start to look very ill (I had agreed that I was willing and fit enough to try it), before hitting emergency stop just as my legs buckled under me.

Can't remember my exact figure but it worked out that my predicted max was around 85-90% which would just be as far as you'd be willing to push yourself if you really had to. The figures are probably worked out low to keep everyone safeish.

I was sick in the bucket the had ready for me and showed serious signs of hypoglycemia for hours afterwards. The estimation is there so you can roughly work out how hard someone can work without having to have a sick bucket ready or a crash team.

The other method is to use rate of perceived exertion 1 being easy 10 being running from the grim reaper. I used to teach spin classes to gym members and it was always interesting to ask them to hear a new member saying it was too when I'd asked them to work at 80% RPE. A quick word in their ear that it was them who decided what 80% was soon rectified the problem.

As has already been said heart rate monitors are little more than a guide, the battery in the strap even has an effect on the heart so don't get overly worried about a particular reading especially if you felt well.

What spurred me to check was I had dropped my TLR on a downhill section, front wheel slid out on a rock and the bike ended on its side stuck between a few sapplings. The effort of dragging the bike out of the scrub on a steep slope, getting it upright and started added to the riding was demanding. Then I realised that I hadn't brought any water but was close to home and so I headed back to the house. I was aware that I was very hot and breathing very heavily and so I wondered just how hard the heart was working. It took me several minutes to find and remember how to start the monitor and when it did I was still pumping at around 105 bpm (there is a monitor on my exercise bike runs from the hand grips and the two units are very close in their readings).

But again I stress I am not panicking and I am not going to stop riding. I think the danger for me is when I ride trail/trials with other more advanced riders and I feel the need to keep up - if I drop the bike I jump up and try and get upright and moving so as not to hold others up. I know that 2 or 3 hours of this and I am exhausted - and I mean sick bucket exhausted. As a result I am practicing in order to reduce the drops, improve technique and build my upper body strength and that is working - but I think I need to really remind myself to take a breather.