Ossa TR 280i hard to start

scorpatic

did you manage to get you bike reset taff ?

i had map 13 loaded on to mine this week

first ride tomorrow so we shall see how

it goes. my dealer told me that with map

13 loaded you shouldnt need the LSS

start pack.

jsp

That is BS on the LSS not being required with Map 13.

I have a 2011 and a 2012. Both have fresh filters, fresh fuel, new plugs and Map 13. They are not easy to start, the absolute best I have ever had from Cold was 3 kicks on the 2011 today. The 2012 took 10 kicks. The 2011 has a lot more hours on it and in general is easier to start than the 2012 which only has a few hours on it.

Once warmed up, they'll start with between 1-5 GOOD kicks. Girlie kicks won't fire it under any circumstance.

Generally the HOT starting isn't bad but its far more difficult than it should be.

I stalled on a stage today in a creek and it took like 10 kicks as I couldn't get a good kick into it with wet boots and my left foot in a hole.

Almost the entire club had a ride on our bikes and they loved them, but everyone commented that they were hard to start.

Edited by DeonAttard

did your dealer set your tick over at 1400 rpm and tps at .6v after loading map 13? this is a new procedure, should only have to be done once, sorry to tell you but your starting issues are not normal on map 13 with this additional set up done. cheers

• Like 1

did your dealer set your tick over at 1400 rpm and tps at .6v after loading map 13? this is a new procedure, should only have to be done once, sorry to tell you but your starting issues are not normal on map 13 with this additional set up done. cheers

That is a very good question - I've just emailed the dealer to ask. I don't think he has touched the tick over since both bikes idle at different speed. The 2011 idle is very slow and as such my father is stalling the bike a lot while he is getting used to it, the 2012 is a little faster although neither of them idle quickly. I'd prefer a faster idle on both bikes.

Is that user adjustable?

It's not user adjustable, your dealer sets both the idle and tps with the diagnostic program. 1400 rpm is a good healthy idle, (you will see) anything less on map 13 and you will have trouble starting.

there are no starting issues on map 13 therefore if a rider has issues they must look to maintanence or set up issues. cheers

• Like 1

It's not user adjustable, your dealer sets both the idle and tps with the diagnostic program. 1400 rpm is a good healthy idle, (you will see) anything less on map 13 and you will have trouble starting.

there are no starting issues on map 13 therefore if a rider has issues they must look to maintanence or set up issues. cheers

I think you might be onto something here, thank-god and Borus - maybe there is a fix for this issue. I know the bikes idle differently, this is for certain which would suggest that the idle wasn't set.

Do you have any Ossa supporting documentation I can go back to the dealer with?

The procedure is laid out in a document available via the importer to your dealers.

I had had 5 ossa's at a ride day here and not one issue with starting and running at any engine temp. however all set at 1400 rpm, tps at at .6 V and map 13. hope this all helps you out. BTW, this set up of your idle and tps take about 15 min at most, and only needs to be done once. This is not a complicated procedure or onerous on the rider. I had a report of hard starting and through questioning it turned out the rider was running 80:1 mixture???. Sometimes its just a maintenance or small set up issue.

• Like 1

I have the Map 12 installed on the 2012 – ALWAYS start on 3 kick cold, and normally in the first kick warm.

I did however have issues on starting the machine when I first got it, but learning the technique of the tree kick (2 soft and then one hard), I have not had any problems on starting.

I can see though, that others have problems on starting the OSSA – It do need a special start technique.

I have found it hard to start the machine, if it has stopped in a section – especially if it is nose down. Then there is not enough power in my kick (when I need to hold my balance, not touching the ground) – so I’m still buying a LSS

The procedure is laid out in a document available via the importer to your dealers.

I had had 5 ossa's at a ride day here and not one issue with starting and running at any engine temp. however all set at 1400 rpm, tps at at .6 V and map 13. hope this all helps you out. BTW, this set up of your idle and tps take about 15 min at most, and only needs to be done once. This is not a complicated procedure or onerous on the rider. I had a report of hard starting and through questioning it turned out the rider was running 80:1 mixture???. Sometimes its just a maintenance or small set up issue.

I'm quietly confident that you've discovered our problem with the TPS and idle speed. I'm waiting to hear back from the importer.

We are running GRO Off Road - 1 oil at 100:1 - so far we havn't had any plugs foul etc, I'm confident that this isn't a user problem, although we are new to trials we've been riding and racing bikes for all our lives.

Loaded Map 13 and the bike is terrific. so happy. Then I broke the gearbox on a rock. I think I smacked the end of the shift and it broke a pawl apparently. was able to finish the trial in 1st and 2nd but am having it fixed now. Anyone else done something similar?

Still map 12 but I think I have got the trick... Crank the throttle about 3/4 and give it a mighty kick... A bit of a puff of smoke and it generally fires up, hot or cold... When it runs cleanly release the throttle to idle as normal.

Apart from that it runs hot and needs the fan wired on to keep it reasonably cool if it is not to boil all the coolant away in 5 mins. Always shut off at a standstill as it boils even with the fan on.

Otherwise just amazing and today I take it up a hill nobody has tried before on a motorbike. I may post some pix if I succeed...

The dealer who loaded map 13 for me told me to file 2 notches into the gear lever just by the knuckle (like gas gas have) and this creates a week spot to break at and saves the gear box, also told me to shorten the fuel tank breather to about 6" and to use the tubing you cut off to lengthen the gear box breather and route it up over not downwards, also drill a 3mm hole in the bottom of your fly wheel cover to allow water to escape. Never short the fan out as it will blow the ECU, if you want the fan on all the time just disconnect the connector. Map 13 has anti flood programmed into it, if you flood the bike hold the throttle open over a ¼ of a turn and the ECU will knock off the fuel pump to allow you to keep kicking without further fuel entering the cylinder.

Loaded Map 13 and the bike is terrific. so happy. Then I broke the gearbox on a rock. I think I smacked the end of the shift and it broke a pawl apparently. was able to finish the trial in 1st and 2nd but am having it fixed now. Anyone else done something similar?

Yes…

Did the same thing in the last weekend – in the DM1 race… :wall: but it was stock in fifth gear.. so no race for me..

It took 1 hour to repair… Had a mate doing it for me!

There is a small “steer” on the axle. That “steer” was broken off.

It looked a bit fragile, but he says that it looks more or less exactly like a Gas Gas unit.

I have heard that is should be a problem in general….

Edited by Tjums