Ossa TR 280i hard to start

scorpatic

No, Mine has kicked back twice now in the last 2 weeks (Map 13) when just pushing through to get the lever to the high position (priming) kick back was about as bad as an 20cc bike, pretty lame

Guest tobeee

I have fitted a battery pack and switch to an early 2011 280i. It transforms the starting for the less skilled rider (ie me). You switch it on at the beginning of the trial and off at the finish. It usually starts first kick, even from cold. Ok maybe second now and again.

It is still the same highish compression engine of course so you need to get up on the pegs ideally. You do not need to slow kick to prime it, just switch it on, one decent full kick, and bang off you go.

The battery system is pretty simple and reasonably low tech. It transformed a wonderful but tricky to start bike into something quite different. You can even tell if you have run out of gas as it makes a different pump priming noise.

Hi micm

This sounds like a very interesting bit of kit! Is it the same as the magical official ISS bit we keep hearing about, but nobody has seen? Unless you're patenting, packaging and selling, would it be possible to see enough of yours to be able to make my own? Feel free to email outside the forum!

Cheers, Toby

Edited by tobeee

I've ridden 3x 2011 Ossa's so far. I found them lovely bikes, very tame off the bottom but holy hell plenty of power when you twist it. On saying this, I found the clutch on all 3 bikes nice and light but the engagement point was too "wide". I like a fairly "snappy" clutch, you know, a clutch that switches on and off pretty quick. The ossa lacks adjustability in this area and I found that my mate would try to get on my sherco whenever he could because he liked riding my bike because of the clutch. It's fairly minor, but it's there.

As for starting, it's interesting to see how some people smack their kick start, or just go slapping away with it with a foot on the ground. My bike is very hard to start due to compression, very similar to the Ossa, my mate's 2011 & 2012 sherco 250's and gas gas 300 are easy in comparison and I can start then with the foot on the ground.

I've always done it like this, with left foot on the ground, using the right foot open the kicker and gently push down/pump lightly to "take up slack". It usually takes 1-3 light pumps to get full compression, then i have to lift my body up taking my left foot off the ground and put my weight into the kicker and follow through. I cannot get the kicker to push down while having my left foot on the ground - there's too much compression and the Ossa's are the same. Doing it like this I get my bike to start 1st kick after sitting in the shed overnight and my mates ossa in only several kicks.

Also, has anyone snapped the plastic bit where the throttle cable joins the throttle body? I've seen 2 which have done this so far.

Cheers

Guest tobeee

Also, has anyone snapped the plastic bit where the throttle cable joins the throttle body? I've seen 2 which have done this so far.

Yes, and it wasn't cheap to replace! I did actually glue it and put on a cable tie as belt and braces, and it seemed to hold well, but I hardly ever use the bike so it seemed silly to risk a rare ride due to this breaking again! Not sure how it broke, as I hadn't dropped the bike or anything. Just a weak part I guess.

This thread seems to have died a death.......I am sure it will become resurrected once the LSS system finally hits the market.

For those of you that do have issues, if you haven't already, you should try a BPR5EIX Iridium plug, seems to make a difference to me, although part of my problem was my crappy starting technique which I have been working on.

Edited by Canada280i

......., although part of my problem was my crappy starting technique which I have been working on.

:D :D :D

I do like when people have self-insight ….

Thumbs up!!! :thumbup:

Edited by Tjums

This thread seems to have died a death.......I am sure it will become resurrected once the LSS system finally hits the market.

For those of you that do have issues, if you haven't already, you should try a BPR5EIX Iridium plug, seems to make a difference to me, although part of my problem was my crappy starting technique which I have been working on.

I found the Iridium plug made no difference to starting, power does seem slighly more agresssive with the iridum plug though.

Both my bikes are in at the dealer for computer checks at the moment.

The dealer I think thought he was going to show me up when I dropped them off, it took their mechanic who looks stronger than me about 15 kicks to start one bike. He did start the other bike in 5 kicks which is 3 kicks better than my personal best.

They tried to tell me that 5 kicks was normal and they'd leave that bike as it was! I told them to please check them both and ensure both are on latest map, 0.6v tps and 1400rpm idle which he said they would do.

I'll give everyone an update in a day or two.

That is not very good service from the dealer if he was trying to show you up, you have just spent a considerable amount of money on not one, but two of the products he sells, he should be doing everything in his power to ensure you are a satisfied customer.

That is not very good service from the dealer if he was trying to show you up, you have just spent a considerable amount of money on not one, but two of the products he sells, he should be doing everything in his power to ensure you are a satisfied customer.

I think the attitude came from the importer who I still think is convinced we arn't holding our face the right way when we kick them rather than admitting something is not right and taking the issue more seriously.

Needless to say I am not feeling like a particularly important customer to either party.

They know now how hard the bikes are to start and this was in a nice workshop standing on a stool with a young mechanic much stronger than me doing the kicking. Not out in the sun standing flat footed with riding gear on....

All is well that ends well so lets hope they start easier after I get them back tommorow. If we can sort the starting I'll be nearly 100% happy with the bikes.

If I can start them in 3-kicks from cold without LSS which was my expectation at time of purchase then I will be satisfied with this until the LSS becomes available.

Edited by DeonAttard

Hi Deon

I was curious, so I just went to my workshop to start my OSSA.

Went in my sneakers, so no boots! It was placed on a stool, and started in third kick cold. MAP 12, original sparkplug and the air filter needs cleaning! I have ridden the bike 20 hours from new..(approx.)

My point is… Your dealer needs to take the computer on the machine, and find out what’s wrong! The bike should NOT need 15 kicks !!

I’m just sad, that you don’t have the great experience that I have with my OSSA – It isn’t the bike that bad – it’s the way the dealer service you!

Hope you get a real OSSA back ;)

Update:

I just got a call from the dealer who confirms, both bikes were already on Map 13. He has made no changes to the 2012 bike and feels it will get easier to start with more usage, it has 8hrs on it at the moment.

The 2011 bike he has increased the idle speed and that bike was always easier to start than the 2012, one time it went in 3-kicks cold. I expect it might be a little better to start with the increased idle.

For the 2012 though, I am no better off so still waiting for LSS to resolve starting issue.

The dealer did start the 2012 bike in 5-kicks from cold which is better than my personal best of 8-kicks on that bike. I will put more hours on it and hope the situation improves. I have noticed it getting a little easier to start but still a long way from being acceptable.

try starting the bike with your dealers battery connected. (battery must be connected to run the diagnose program) That will let you know what the difference will be with the LSS installed. map 13 is programed for the LSS. Earlier maps are not.

Ok bikes are home.

2012 started first kick after it had been sitting for about 2hrs (dealer says he changed nothing on the 2012 bike???) - I wasn't there with him but its never started 1st kick after sitting for so long.

2011 bike started 2nd kick.

I went back a few hours later and started the 2011 again, 1st kick.

Looking very positive. The test will be tommorow once they are left sit overnight.