Ossa TR 280i hard to start

scorpatic

...Howld on,stop the bus! :o

I thought these things wouldn't need clearing out if they didn't have a carb'?...what's the point of fuel injection if you still have to clear it's throat :huh: ?

get yourself an Ossa, then you will know the "point of fuel injection" first hand and from experience :popcorn:

Does not matter if its a 2 stroke, 4 stroke, fuel injected or carbed all engines need a good clear out every now and then, especially 2 strokes :moon:

Taff glad he's not a Geordie :huh:

Agreed.....Fuel Inj. doesn't change the fact that 2 strokes dump a good portion of unburned fuel into the exhaust just by design

Just can't stand when idiots rev them out in neutral....run it down the road full throttle. This cleans out the crankcase and the exhaust.

Edited by Kramit

I think Ossa's reason for fuel injection was more about packaging.

??.......if it doesn't make the bike run any cleaner than a carb' what is the point of spending all that money on FI??

My 2012 bike is back to its pre-dealer inspection, 10 kicks cold starting. I am wondering if the ECU does some "Self learning" that was re-set when the dealer connected his laptop to the bike?

With my revised "soft kick" starting technique it is not exhausting to start like it was before.

If I am flat footed I will jump on it once and it'll normally go, if it doesn't I'll give it one more kick before pushing it to a tree because jumping on it for a small guy like me is a lot of energy. In most cases if I can lean on something to get a solid kick it'll go first or 2nd kick hot.

At one point waiting at a section I had no trees nearby, just a rock to stand on and the bike was on an incline so I couldn't get a really solid kick into it - it took about 30 kicks to start. The next day I stopped in the same spot and it wouldn't start again, this time I pushed it down the hill until I found a tree and it went in a couple of kicks.

I should have our LSS in the next week or so, I dearly hope this device works as advertised.

My 2012 bike is back to its pre-dealer inspection, 10 kicks cold starting. I am wondering if the ECU does some "Self learning" that was re-set when the dealer connected his laptop to the bike?

With my revised "soft kick" starting technique it is not exhausting to start like it was before.

If I am flat footed I will jump on it once and it'll normally go, if it doesn't I'll give it one more kick before pushing it to a tree because jumping on it for a small guy like me is a lot of energy. In most cases if I can lean on something to get a solid kick it'll go first or 2nd kick hot.

At one point waiting at a section I had no trees nearby, just a rock to stand on and the bike was on an incline so I couldn't get a really solid kick into it - it took about 30 kicks to start. The next day I stopped in the same spot and it wouldn't start again, this time I pushed it down the hill until I found a tree and it went in a couple of kicks.

I should have our LSS in the next week or so, I dearly hope this device works as advertised.

Your own statement is that if you are on flat ground or can prop the bike and get over it, it starts 1 or 2 kicks. I've also read through all 217 posts thinking that Ossa had a problem but it's really only you that still requires 10-30 kicks. It's true that some had problems before new mapping but not any more. This should tell you that it's not the bike, it's you. Your technique possibly combined with the fact that your not a big guy. I'm not trying to be a smart ass here but if a 280 is too much for you to start maybe a 125 or 200 would suit you better. Hopefully the LSS will work out, Ossas seem to be really good bikes and it would be a shame if you had to sell the ones you just bought.

Your own statement is that if you are on flat ground or can prop the bike and get over it, it starts 1 or 2 kicks. I've also read through all 217 posts thinking that Ossa had a problem but it's really only you that still requires 10-30 kicks. It's true that some had problems before new mapping but not any more. This should tell you that it's not the bike, it's you. Your technique possibly combined with the fact that your not a big guy. I'm not trying to be a smart ass here but if a 280 is too much for you to start maybe a 125 or 200 would suit you better. Hopefully the LSS will work out, Ossas seem to be really good bikes and it would be a shame if you had to sell the ones you just bought.

If there was no issue, this thread wouldn't exist.

Ossa wouldn't have made the LSS kit if there was not an issue.

I can start other brands of big capacity bike no problem, Gas Gas, Sherco and Beta are all very easy for me to fire up, sure they have a lot of compression just like the Ossa but they seem to fire up a lot easier.

The thing that worked for me was to learn to open the throttle a lot more in the middle of a good kick and then it catches very easily. Not easy to train yourself to do after starting four strokes for ten years. It then revs and gurgles but soon settles down to a normal tick over...

I will bring the Ossa fitted with the battery pack to the Bognor Club Trial this coming Sunday 27 May at South Harting West Sussex.

If anyone is coming to the trial please ask me for a test ride and try starting it as well.

I also agree with Deon, in the original state some 280is are harder to start than any other recent bikes and that includes new 300 Gasser Pro's and 290 Cabestany style Shercos.

Sorry South Harting is a bit of a run from Oz.

• Like 1

:D:rotfl: I wasn't ready for that...I had prepped my single brain-cell for something very technical :thumbup:

in wor terms Ham its nee better than a carb

you could set your carb, eat a ham and pease pudding stottie, walk the whippet and doon a bottle o broon faster than driving to the dealers to speed up ya tickover.

really it is progress but the owner needs to be able to program it at home, most of us have jobs so are at work when the dealers open.

I will bring the Ossa fitted with the battery pack to the Bognor Club Trial this coming Sunday 27 May at South Harting West Sussex.

If anyone is coming to the trial please ask me for a test ride and try starting it as well.

I also agree with Deon, in the original state some 280is are harder to start than any other recent bikes and that includes new 300 Gasser Pro's and 290 Cabestany style Shercos.

Sorry South Harting is a bit of a run from Oz.

How easy is it to start with the LSS fitted? Does it start like a normal bike with the LSS? Will a soft kick or a non "jump on it with everything you've got" get it going consistantly when warm? Does it ever give any starting issues with LSS fitted?

I've had two guys ask if I'd be interested in selling my 2011 bike. If the LSS will resolve my woes then I want to keep it, my father enjoys the power, suspension and light weight nature of the bike. His, well, our only real gripe is starting.

If it will still be tricky to start with the LSS, still needs big hard kicks, still sometimes can be tempremental when you can't get a serious kick into it - then I'll probably let these guys know I'm interested to sell.

If we do get rid of it, I'll get my father a Beta 200 which is what I should have bought him in the first place.

Edited by DeonAttard

My part we fitted is Spanish and is a prototype. For public sales the time and cost I guess will be in making a solid waterproof housing for the battery and the necessary alterations to the wiring system (with a waterproof switch) so the whole thing fits tidily onto an existing bike. The battery and switch are themselves very straightforward. I believe it may replace the capacitor but don't quote me.

This early model 2011 280i it is fitted to starts like any other bike of the same displacement (around the 300 mark), maybe a bit easier in practice.

With this pack ( I have not heard anyone call it an LSS) you switch on the system, the fuel pump (I think) whirrs for a second or two. One good kick and she goes. No pre priming kicks are needed or desirable. Obviously it is high compression like the other bigger bikes, there is no getting round that. But it does not matter if it is Hot or Cold it will start and usually on the first kick. It is not temperamental, if you drop the bike (and I do) it still goes easily when you pick it up. As far as I am concerned it totally solves the problem and I say that as an average rider. You simply forget about the issue.

However a Beta 200 would be a lot easier to kick over.