Ossa TR 280i hard to start

scorpatic

with the LSS the cap is not required, I've started Ossa's without the cap or LSS connected, however, don't run bikes without a cap or LSS connected as the fan will not run at full speed. make sure you wire your LSS correctly as when it's turned off the bike will not run at all as it's wired to the kill sw. this ensures the bike will not be running with out it. I have an LSS on my FactoryR, bike is started half way through the kick. A good habit to to get into is using only the LSS sw to turn bike off, that way the battery is not left on.

Although not part of this thread the dual map sw is a great feature. You are actually switching between 2 separate maps and it definitely is effective and noticeable. The soft map on standard bikes is butter smooth and it's a map I recommend for novice / junior riders. If you don't have a switch the soft map can be loaded as the primary map. enjoy>>>

The battery setup works a treat, did some good riding today. Batteries did not get hot. Fan ran at full speed. I don't see any reason to keep the capacitor in the system.

I would keep a spare battery pack in the car just incase but the bike does run with the battery and capacitor both disconnected.

I plan to change my wiring so the off switch on the battery will kill the engine but I will let Dad fiddle around with his as he's a bit of an electronics guy and he'll come up with a nice solution.

We can even easily start the bike with it in gear with the clutch pulled now whereas that was hit and miss before.

Happy days.

• Like 1

Well.....I just had to sit down and write now that I have an LSS fitted. What a revelation!

I was not having much of an issue starting the bike anyway, I had had it remapped up to the soft 13 and 3-4 kicks from cold was usually all it took. Sure, there was the odd occasion when I was too knackered to give it a good hoof that it sometimes took more, or I had to find a rock to stand on to get above it. but it was nothing that really bothered me too much.

Anyway, enter LSS.....picked it up on Sunday, work prevented installation until today, spent an hour mounting it on the headstock behind the number plate, nifty bracket to hold the on/off switch. Fired it up, warmed it up, ran it up and down the street, turned it off.

Turned it back on, lazy half-assed kick, off she goes.....unbelievable!

What an excellent bit of kit. Well worth the wait.

I was very happy when I got the Ossa to replace my 315r, but this just takes it to another dimension.

:icon_salut:

Good new in deed, if you don't want mind me asking how much was it ? I'm the same as you I have no problem starting it till I get tired and I have a tough 3 day trial next month and could do with it been on the bike, anything to save the old mans energy.

LSS Top Tip:

For those of you fortunate enough to have an LSS battery kit, to offer a little more protection and waterproof-ness simply wrap the pack in a piece of bicycle inner tube from a mountain bike or similar (or your daughters bike if you are like me). Cut a piece about 6" long and spend half an hour grunting and stretching it over the pack until you have an equal amount either end, then simply zip-tie the excess around the wires at the top, and around the bottom to keep water and mud out.

There is another way forward with this issue !

I fitted a 9v battery box with on off switch from Maplins directly into the ECU. For starting just click the switch to on then 1 big kick and away she goes then switch off the battery. :D Cost less than a fiver.

I fitted the box using velcro to the back of the number board and for now I have just Scotch Locked the wiring.

photo.jpg

how come some people are getting LSS yet in the UK still

no sign of it

jsp

Don't think Ossa are still 100% with the LSS, the system I'm trying out gives you the 9v you need to power up the ECU only and the capacitor is kept, the other systems use 12v and powers up the fuel pump which when doing so dumps un-needed fuel into the cylinder and also gets rid of the capacitor, when the battery pack I'm using goes flat the bike will still start as its still a std wiring system and you just have to buy another £2 9v battery they reckon I should get around a 1000 starts from a battery.

• Like 1