Advice on the scott 2011

nath15804

Hi,

This year i will be competing in my first scott, i went and watched last year and was suprises at just how tiring it looked and also how greatly it is supported up there. Iv write this topic to try and get some advice from previous scott riders on a few things. First of all, what would you recomend carrying with you on the bike, any bike mods or setup changes and also what clothing is reomended? Any help would be great.

Cheers

Virgin scott'er

HI,

I rode the scott for the first time last year. Best advice I can give is don't under estimate it!

Any sort of puncture repair is good to take with you. Spare levers and even a front inner tube. The front tube is best as it will fit in both wheels.

I raised the handle bars on my bike to help stop lower back pains on the moors. other than that I left the bike as standerd.

Hope this helps a little bit,

See you there!

Tape a drink and energy bar to each petrol can. Jelly Babies believe it or not are a massive energy boost to. Dont as said try to hard about clearing sections, too much energy and pointless unless youre an expert. I have had two shots at it n failed, once due to punctures 3 rear n 1 front first attempt, tyre pressure to low. Second attempt i was enduro fit but not trials and the weather was -3 so i was cold to then it snowed, so consider the the weather forecast.

Its bloody hard but the best event ive done, you go through every emotion possible but complete or fail you come away having enjoyed it a few days later.

Best of luck

Have a look at past posts. Its an awful long way round so be prepared to be on the bike for many hours.

Don't go too fast too soon

Don't try to race anyone

Break the day down into chunks - petrol stops usually and tick them off mentally

If in doubt stop and check - diving headlong into a beck/bog or long grass WILL end in tears

Don't panic when other riders steam past in the 1st hour of the trial, things soon settle down

Wire your grips on

Drink water little and often

Have a pal on the course with some dry gloves

FINALLY DO NOT GIVE IN IT IS ONLY PAIN AND WELL WORTH IT FOR THE RIDE UP THE FINISH FIELD

Good luck

Hi Nath.

Firstly, training.

You need to be out on the bike from now up until the scott every weekend. If you can, go to the gym, then do. You need to do plenty of cardio work. When doing weights don't d too many heavy weights, stick to manageable weights and do lots of repetition.

The bike needs a full strip down around 3 weeks before hand, wheels out, brake pads replaced if need be, swinging arm out, check and service all of the back end, carb and i always make sure i have decent heavy duty chain and sprockets, I use iris and have never let me down, last thing you want is the chain snapping. Make sure you have a good mud flap on.oh and a new back tyre not an x lite, too weak and won't take the pace.

I use a camelbak like most people,don't carry too much in the form of drinks, as said before tape one to your fuel can and only about a litre in your bag. Tools, you need all your tyre repair stuff, Allan keys, philips, stubby bicycle pump, shortened back wheel spanner/ajustable, spare levers, spark plug, cable ties and a bit of rag! Lol. Oh and wear your bag all tooled up a few trials before to get used to it.

Riding gear, just judge it on the day, I would suggest goggles or some safety glasses.

Most of all, on the day, pace yourself, it's a very long 85miles, good luck, hope this helps, see you at the start line!

Hi guys, first of all id like to thank everyone for the excellent advice so far....and secondly, im not sure now if im excited or sh*tting my self. Are there 6 fuel stops? and how does it work, do we have to take our own cans ready mixed up and then they take them out to the course?

cheers again, Nath

do we have to take our own cans ready mixed up and then they take them out to the course?

cheers again, Nath

If I remember rightly, there will be fuel trailers/vans parked on the start field, stick a can on each. Put your number on each can and try to make them stand out from the crowd if you can. Pretty pink ribbon?

Leave the pouring spouts off the cans, I once brought back 6 cans, all minus the spouts :D

Remember its just a day out, don't be dissappointed if you don't finish first time, just regard it as the best practice and preparation you could have for next year. There is nothing like it, its fantastic. Also don't rush off after the trial, book a night in Richmond and go to the presentation its a good night out and a remarkable feat to produce the result so quickly.

Ps Don't even think about riding the next day.

If I remember rightly, there will be fuel trailers/vans parked on the start field, stick a can on each. Put your number on each can and try to make them stand out from the crowd if you can. Pretty pink ribbon?

Leave the pouring spouts off the cans, I once brought back 6 cans, all minus the spouts :D

If I recall there wouldn't be much gas left in one or two either, cheers bud :thumbup: