Fitness benefits of riding a trials bike...

purplebeast

My first test ride results, with a wireless heart rate monitor, iPhone and ANT+ dongle, have been posted on my blog:

http://blog.tarafrost.com/

I did some practice riding on my GasGas trials bike this evening, since my riding buddies were busy and didn't want to ride the trails. I put on the heart rate monitor for the trials session....and have posted the results on the blog a few minutes ago.

Again, very interesting results, that definitively show that riding a trials bike is one heck of a workout! :ride:

I'm going to be posting updates to the Offroad Riding Fitness Benefits: A Personal Odyssey on my blog, to keep it in a central place. That will make it easier for me to share posts through various channels (SCORRA Forum, Google+, Blog, emails, TT, etc.)

More to come after this long weekend. Enjoy your turkey and stuffing everyone (at least those north of the border that celebrate Thanksgiving when it was intended to be held...during fall colours!)...but don't forget to ride lots (the weather is supposed to be spectacular!) and burn off all those extra calories you are gonna consume! LOL

Before I head north to the cottage, I figured I would add some info on weight and blood pressure tracking that I have been doing since March....and have posted the results on my blog:

http://blog.tarafrost.com/

Not specifically offroad riding related, but all part of my ongoing fitness odyssey, to improve my health and thus improve my riding performance, stamina and enjoyment.

Enjoy the latest post....and have a great Canadian Thanksgiving weekend....

Fair play.

I have always thought riding can keep you fit. I have just returned to riding after a three year lay off and am amazed that just poking around a few rocks, wheelies and general climbs etc can work up such a sweat.

With running it is just so dull. Riding you just want more and more!

I have always thought riding can keep you fit. I have just returned to riding after a three year lay off and am amazed that just poking around a few rocks, wheelies and general climbs etc can work up such a sweat.

With running it is just so dull. Riding you just want more and more!

My thoughts exactly. It's going to be a shock the system when the snow flies (a month or two at most) and the bikes get put away, forcing me to switch to indoor exercise equipment! :wacko:

:agreed:

I'm 55.....and I feel your pain! Really!

And riding is way better than the desk any time for sure.

Same here. I am 54, and I can do 3 days a week, in the gym, with far less toll on my body than a Saturday of riding. Always figured that meant that riding must be a pretty decent workout.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted a new entry on my blog, about the ride I did yesterday, and the new online tool (from Garmin, the GPS folks) I used to analyze the ride/heartrate data:

http://blog.tarafrost.com/post/12257452793/dirt-bike-fitness-odyssey-another-online-tracking

Very interesting stuff. I really like what Garmin does on their Connect site.

• 1 month later...

Many more posts have gone up on my Dirt Bike Fitness Odyssey blog, if you are interested in such things.

Ride replays, new body monitoring devices and more.

Check it out here

Also, I'm off to the TTC (Trials Training Center) in Tennessee this week. Leaving Wed, and will be down there late Friday afternoon for a two day "Double Blip" training course. I'm really looking forward to it, since it's been snowing up here and our riding season is done at this stage...winter has us in it's grip! :angry: This will likely be the last riding till next Spring for me...barring practicing my balancing techniques (which need a lot of practice) on the GasGas in the garage this winter.

I'll probably be wired with a heart rate monitor most of the time I'm riding down there too.

I'll post a review of the training session/trip once I get back.

Edited by PurpleBeast

Look up tubby trials team on YouTube. Been riding with them for a few weeks now 5 days over a month and a half. Lost half a stone. Plus fit in trousers I was keeping for such an occasion. I'm sure as i'm overweight that as time goes on this will result in diminishing results and weight will stabilise but for now it means I can have more mince pies and have an excuse to ride more!