new scorpa ( e- bike )

gwhy

Looks good to me, probably not much use for on long trails or big distances but great for my suburban back garden etc.

They claim 80% recharge in an hour. Maybe you can swop batteries quickly as well.

I wonder how much they might cost?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the bike has zero emmissions and zero noise. And with it, I suspect, zero appeal. What of the emmissions created in the production and shipping of the batteries, not to mention the disposal of those same batteries at the end of their rather short life?

Four stroke is, or should be the answer in the forseeable future. Though not the anti-social roar of the 4RT, my Beta Evo 4T is far more civilized.

Yes, I know there is a degree of inevitability about the whole internal combustion engines demise, but I for one, will pack it in and take up knitting before standing on one of those! Raaaah!!!! :barf:

So the bike has zero emmissions and zero noise. And with it, I suspect, zero appeal. What of the emmissions created in the production and shipping of the batteries, not to mention the disposal of those same batteries at the end of their rather short life?

Four stroke is, or should be the answer in the forseeable future. Though not the anti-social roar of the 4RT, my Beta Evo 4T is far more civilized.

Yes, I know there is a degree of inevitability about the whole internal combustion engines demise, but I for one, will pack it in and take up knitting before standing on one of those! Raaaah!!!! :barf:

The emissions will be only of about 20% ( and this includes re-charging ) of what is produced to ship,re-fine, ship again, store, and distribute petrol the battery's can be recycled ( dependent on chemistry ), I would say 3years is not that short of life expectancy from a good set of cells that are being charged and discharged on a day basis. If you took this bike to the local bmx/skate park and started to ride, there will be a lot of positive interest from prospective new riders so it will have a lot more than zero appeal. Also petrol engines are only about 45-65% efficient ( on a good day ), electric motors are more around 90% efficient. When electric bikes start to compete directly with gas bikes and start winning ( which is more than possible and have happened ) maybe attitudes will change.

I don't think that trials bikes can ever be the vanguard of any new motorcycle technology as they are sold in such small numbers and can barely justify the development costs involved.

Trials will always be piggy-backing off other motorsports..feeding from the crumbs, if you like.

Apart from a unicycle a trials bike is the hardest wheeled vehicle to ride (yes/no discuss).

As much as we like the aesthetics of our personal steeds, the over-riding (pun? :D ) aspect (IMHO) that we use to choose a trials bike is the way it rides?

I reckon that we might have to reserve our judgement on these leccy bikes until we get some peg time on them.

If they turn out to be easier to ride for the vast majority of us,which I've a suspicion that they might,then I think the petrol trials bike will be on the decline ^_^

I base this assumption on the 9/10 BHP rating and the fact that they should be very smooth (most riders are 'over-biked').

There y' go loads of ifs and buts ;)

I will be buying my 5y/o an Oset in the next month or two. I'll get some spare batteries and hopefully it can be used in mini bike class for comps and be ridden all day long. If we're doing a 2 day event and i need to charge them i'll either think about a generator or expand my camper trailer's current solar setup.

I can see in a few years when my little one wants or needs to advance to a full size bike that it quite possibly won't be a petrol bike. There's now nothing to stop my 5 year old getting an electric Gas Gas or Scorpa in 5-10 years time when it's time for his first full size bike. And to think that within 12 months time there will probably be secondhand electric trials bikes hitting the market.

I like to try and get on my bike for 30-60 minutes every day or two to keep fitness up and to improve skills. I will seriously be thinking about getting an electric Gas/Scorpa as a second bike to train on. Sure it won't be the same as my petrol bike but the only reason i don't get on my bike EVERY day is to respect my neighbours. I have several acres and even with that much land i have to think about my neighbours with my Sherco.

I have to say that this is a golden age for trials. When i got out of trials back in 1998 there were 2-3 brands available and it was either 2 stroke or nothing else. Now there's 7-8 brands and a choice of 2 stroke, 4 stroke or electric. It's absolutely brilliant.

cheers

I will be buying my 5y/o an Oset in the next month or two. I'll get some spare batteries and hopefully it can be used in mini bike class for comps and be ridden all day long. If we're doing a 2 day event and i need to charge them i'll either think about a generator or expand my camper trailer's current solar setup.

cheers

Samy this is to give you info about the sort of battery duration that is achieved with an OSET.

My son has been riding an OSET spider 16 since 2007. During that period his weight has gone from 22kg to 24kg. The riding time capability on one set of batteries is marginal for a kids level one-day trial. We usually managed the issue by having him warm up on one set of batteries, then change to a fully charged set at the start of the competition and they would sometimes last the whole trial and sometimes not. We did manage OK this way but having three sets of batteries would have been better, especially if his sister also wanted to have a ride, or if he wanted to continue riding after the trial. If cost had been no object we would have had eight sets of SLA batteries (sixteen batteries) for two-day events. At home my son practiced trials on sloped ground and one set of batteries would last about 15 minutes of constant riding, and less if it included much riding up slopes, and maybe 30 minutes of constant riding if it was mainly on the flat.

David

Samy this is to give you info about the sort of battery duration that is achieved with an OSET.

My son has been riding an OSET spider 16 since 2007. During that period his weight has gone from 22kg to 24kg. The riding time capability on one set of batteries is marginal for a kids level one-day trial. We usually managed the issue by having him warm up on one set of batteries, then change to a fully charged set at the start of the competition and they would sometimes last the whole trial and sometimes not. We did manage OK this way but having three sets of batteries would have been better, especially if his sister also wanted to have a ride, or if he wanted to continue riding after the trial. If cost had been no object we would have had eight sets of SLA batteries (sixteen batteries) for two-day events. At home my son practiced trials on sloped ground and one set of batteries would last about 15 minutes of constant riding, and less if it included much riding up slopes, and maybe 30 minutes of constant riding if it was mainly on the flat.

David

Get a different chemistry battery, SLA's are not the best things in the world and are very heavy. for example lipo will be 3x the power density and 3x lighter

or lifefo4 will be around 3x the desity and about 2.5x lighter than for the same physical size of SLA'a

There's something else to throw into the mix:-

It's all mighty fine doing a glam video demo in sunny Spain but what about the real world British conditions?power sapping mud etc..

How long would a battery charge last, in the northern hemisphere, in the autumn/winter @ 5 degrees C or lower?

David

Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated! This is my backyard - perfect for trials but very hilly so it might sap the battery power ;)

Backyard001.jpg

Backyard002.jpg

cheers

There's something else to throw into the mix:-

It's all mighty fine doing a glam video demo in sunny Spain but what about the real world British conditions?power sapping mud etc..

How long would a battery charge last, in the northern hemisphere, in the autumn/winter @ 5 degrees C or lower?

The mud will be a factor ( power zapping ) I am going to try and get some real figures from one of my bikes while riding in mud ( I havent really took any of my bikes out into real muddy conditions yet ( I dont want to get them dirty :hyper: )