Broken bones

samy

On Saturday I decided to go for a quick ride in my backyard to keep my skills improving. I have been trying to get 30-45 mins on the bike everyday or two.

I was riding around for about 30 mins and I went up a 1.5 metre almost vertical step-up around a tree and then back down. I did it 2-3 times no problems then did a few other things then back to the step up. I went up and around the tree fine then as I was coming down very slowly I got my line wrong, the front wheel tapped a little rock and flicked me over the bars. I fell 1.5 metres and instinctively put my hands out superman style. Quite annoyed with myself I got up, picked up the bike and realized that my right wrist was in the shape of an "s". I tried to start the bike but was flooded and wouldn't start. Any way I had to walk 200 metres back up the hill and go hospital to get my wrist stretched and reset. It's broken and shattered real nice. I'll probably have to go under the knife in the next few days. So it looks like I'm out for 3 months.

So anyway this is the worst injury due to trials I have ever seen. Has anyone else done any major damage to themselves? My biggest concern is when I get back on my bike next year I'll be a super wuss. I guess I'll take it real easy.

And yes, the bike is unscratched. Not a mark on her :) my mate rode it up to the house and commented how tough the bike is. Maybe I'm getting old now ;)

Cheers

I tore my right ACL two years ago. Had surgery last year to replace it with a patella tendon graft. My knee is still not 100%, still hurts.

That has really been the worst I've suffered riding trials.

Some people think you can't get hurt riding trials because you're going slow. I'm not so sure anymore.

Pity, but at least it was not a faceplant! Yea, one has to watch out carefully for that sort of stuff. Last time I did the superman gig, it was a small slick root jus under the dirt on a sharp downhill!

Kinda like slipping on ice, as it is still two meters down for yer Head!

Get well soon! :thumbup:

That's why I wear a lot of protective gear , + I'm old , I'd rather ride a little worse today , and still be able to ride tomorrow.

I come from a MX racing background , the crashes , at speed , with little damage convinced me. I've seen many many minor trials crashes result in a DNF , where with some minimal gear the rider would never notice.

Hey Samy

Sorry to hear about the broken arm/wrist, what were you practicing for, the seasons ended in Qld, the bike should have been in bits ready for next season.

I'm over in the UK riding in the stickiest mud you can imagine but at least its softer to land on.

Anyway, get well soon, whats happening at LRMTC these days, I didn't see any results from the last club trial

Cheers

Roger Galpin

Sammy,

Bad luck on the wrist. I can only sympathise.

Hopefully surgery will be fine and it will be the re hab part you will need to conquer. Movement will be everything. As soon as you are able you will need to do gentle stretching movements of the wirst in all directions a few times a day. Eating Yoghurt is excellent for bone growth as well until you can do stretches etc.

I broke a collar bone in two and was able ride a couple of weeks later and it held up in a 3hr hare and hounds enduro. I put this down to a pint of yoghurt a day! Previously my bones always took longer to heal. Interestingly, I have never had a break since increasing my yoghurt intake (a small pot a day not a pint!). It is twice as rich in calcium as milk apparently. The tip came from a sports injury man who works with shattered limbs.

Once back on the bike be gentle and start at the basics of bike control and lever use etc. The riding will soon come back but you need to be careful not to undo any hard work up to that point.

Chin up. It will get better.

Edited by pindie

On Saturday I decided to go for a quick ride in my backyard to keep my skills improving. I have been trying to get 30-45 mins on the bike everyday or two.

I was riding around for about 30 mins and I went up a 1.5 metre almost vertical step-up around a tree and then back down. I did it 2-3 times no problems then did a few other things then back to the step up. I went up and around the tree fine then as I was coming down very slowly I got my line wrong, the front wheel tapped a little rock and flicked me over the bars. I fell 1.5 metres and instinctively put my hands out superman style. Quite annoyed with myself I got up, picked up the bike and realized that my right wrist was in the shape of an "s". I tried to start the bike but was flooded and wouldn't start. Any way I had to walk 200 metres back up the hill and go hospital to get my wrist stretched and reset. It's broken and shattered real nice. I'll probably have to go under the knife in the next few days. So it looks like I'm out for 3 months.

So anyway this is the worst injury due to trials I have ever seen. Has anyone else done any major damage to themselves? My biggest concern is when I get back on my bike next year I'll be a super wuss. I guess I'll take it real easy.

And yes, the bike is unscratched. Not a mark on her :) my mate rode it up to the house and commented how tough the bike is. Maybe I'm getting old now ;)

Cheers

Hi, I broke my right tibia platau at the end of August, caught foot on a tree stump and the force transfered to the knee. All was healing well, walking ok, Friday , time to get on bike. Rode of into the dark (car park at top of industrial estate) turned and fell off onto right knee. Lots of pain and much fear at going home to the wife. Employee took me home, set me up on the sofa and departed quickly before the wife returned home. Have spent Saturday in casualty (they don't think it's broken again) and the rest of the weekend without much conversation apart from being told what a knob I am (thinks she is probably correct)Looks like the new year before I can fall off again!

Lol thanks guys. I was just out on the bike getting ready for next year. I have the perfect back yard so it's easy for me to just hop on and ride whenever I want. I would say that I was riding stuff well above my skill level, you know, trying to push myself to improve. This is the first time I've broken a bone, I turned 30 last week and due to lactose intolerence I have been off dairy for the last 6 months so that may have something to do with it too. I'll post up a photo of my arm and the ledge later tonight. ;)

Cheers

My missus broke her thumb ramping my trials bike over a bump at low speed, not really trialing as such but there we go. Someone apparently broke there ankle too, after stepping in a rabbit hole!

I've broken my pride several times...

Sorry about the wrist injury, hope it heals fast.

that looks horrible ..ouch .I have a swiss trials mate who broke his leg last summer and he had (I'm pretty sure he said) calcium injections right alongside the break? to speed the healing. I think this must be what the moto GP guys get. Sorry to be so vague (cant spell that word) but there may be someone reading who knows all about it. Many many years ago I broke a wrist biking got it potted up and after a couple of weeks started riding (my ariel arrow).. all was fine until I rode the bike to get the pot removed...I had to get a mate to pick me up as the wrist was so "weak"..follow the quacks advise re recovery.

Lol thanks guys. I was just out on the bike getting ready for next year. I have the perfect back yard so it's easy for me to just hop on and ride whenever I want. I would say that I was riding stuff well above my skill level, you know, trying to push myself to improve. This is the first time I've broken a bone, I turned 30 last week and due to lactose intolerence I have been off dairy for the last 6 months so that may have something to do with it too. I'll post up a photo of my arm and the ledge later tonight. ;)

Cheers

that looks horrible ..ouch .I have a swiss trials mate who broke his leg last summer and he had (I'm pretty sure he said) calcium injections right alongside the break? to speed the healing. I think this must be what the moto GP guys get. Sorry to be so vague (cant spell that word) but there may be someone reading who knows all about it. Many many years ago I broke a wrist biking got it potted up and after a couple of weeks started riding (my ariel arrow).. all was fine until I rode the bike to get the pot removed...I had to get a mate to pick me up as the wrist was so "weak"..follow the quacks advise re recovery.

Their are various types of calcium supplementation that can be used dependent on the state of the body. I personally measure urine and saliva pH and then use an appropriate acidic or alkaline calcium to bring pH back to where it should be. For instance I snapped my achilles in this years ssdt and had to use calcium lactate to lower my alkalinity which helped me heal quick. If you get yourself some pH strips you could test yourself quite cheaply.

The fact that your lactose intolerant would point to the fact that your more than likely to alkaline as well (I used to be lactose intolerant as well). Good luck with healing quick and getting back on the bike!

• 2 months later...

Time to follow up...

2 weeks after the 'little fall' (first week of december) i had surgery to install some titanium and to have a bone graft. The pain after surgery was worse that actually breaking it... :rotfl: Here's the result:

wrist04.jpg

wrist03.jpg

So i saw the surgeon today after having a CT Scan last week. It's been about 7.5 weeks since surgery and it's all good news. I have FULL movement in the wrist and he's given the green light to start practising on the bike but strictly no comps or challenging stuff for another 4 months until the bone is fully healed. I put the quick recovery down to my high calcium tub of yoghurt EVERY DAY and at least 1 litre of high calcium milk EVERY DAY! Lactose free of course. The high cal diet seems to have done wonders. Even the pysio kicked me out saying i healed too fast.

Some time this week i plan to start the bike and give it a clean. It hasn't been touched since the accident on Nov 19 last year, not started or washed - it still has the mud on it from the fall. Hopefully it will start ok. I have a flat paddock next door to ride in to gently knock the cobwebs from it.

At least i can take the bike to comps when i'm observing and simply use it to get to the sections. ;)

And Roger, i was practising for the last SQTA get together/christmas party. :madnoel:

That's ok, i'll take my place as an observer for a while :thumbup:

cheers