Non starter 4rt

stevecollie

I just got the bike back from the garage, they were changing the Oil Filter for me, so at the same time they gave it a wee service, plug and air filter too

My son went to start it, as it sounded like it was going to start he gave the throttle a twist, it died..............................

Now nothing....................

I've tried all off the below, changed the plug (several times)

The bike has always started 1st-2nd kick every time

Theres a good spark at the plug

I'm baffeled :unsure:

I have a trial in the morning, it looks like I'm not going to make it :(

1:Always start with no throttle - slow steady prod - make sure clutch not dragging - put into neutral if in doubt.

If doesn't start fist time flick throttle open and let snap shut and then press kill button - do it a couple of times and then kick normal

If it doesn't start then

3 long slow kicks with throttle wide open - slower than when trying to start it.

Then try the throttle flick/kill button

2:Overdoing the air-filter oiling. Or cleaning. (I've took the air filter out)

people tend to twist the throttle while kicking hard (hence the "slow push" works better)

Solution? One or two kicks with wide open throttle, close the throttle and kick again.

3:Best way to get it started is to kick it once WOT and then without throttle. This is to flood petrol into the engine

Edited by Stevecollie

If it sounded like it wanted to start then work carried out sounds ok.

Have you tried bumping it - throttle closed.

When air filter has been over oiled especially with spay air filter oil can be a pig to start. I have found when this happens got to kick it like a 2 stroke and just persevere with a few quick kick, a few slow throttle open - a few throttle flicks- and repeat.

Can take 10 mins hard work and even a bump start!

Otherwise make sure bank angle sensor not stuck on, especially if bike has been on its side for a while. Stand bike up and give it a good shake let to right.

Good luck

When air filter has been over oiled especially with spay air filter oil can be a pig to start. I have found when this happens got to kick it like a 2 stroke and just persevere with a few quick kick, a few slow throttle open - a few throttle flicks- and repeat.

Can take 10 mins hard work and even a bump start!

Otherwise make sure bank angle sensor not stuck on, especially if bike has been on its side for a while. Stand bike up and give it a good shake let to right.

Good luck

Check the time :rolleyes:

You my man are a star :icon_salut:

It took a wee bit more than 10mins :P (and I'm fecked)

But she's burst back into life B)

Thankyou :thumbup:

Edited by Stevecollie

Glad to be of service - bet your neighbours where happy.

If it was the air filter oil you could of left it overnight and it would of started first kick but you needed to know last night.

Thats why I never put a freshly oiled air filter in and then try and start it. Cos I know Ive got 15 mins of kicking to get it to go. I either oil filter and leave in the open to dry while I fettle rest of bike or put the filter in and leave until the following day at the trial to start.

Don't know why it does this but it does

If it was the air filter oil you could of left it overnight and it would of started first kick but you needed to know last night.

Thats why I never put a freshly oiled air filter in and then try and start it. Cos I know Ive got 15 mins of kicking to get it to go. I either oil filter and leave in the open to dry while I fettle rest of bike or put the filter in and leave until the following day at the trial to start.

Don't know why it does this but it does

+1, same for me and I do exactly the same as you

Similar for the 4RT or a carbed bike

Well I got to the trial thanks to you :icon_salut:

Had a good day, although a bit cold up here in Tayside

And I did not to bad

Once again .....................Thanks :thumbup:

Oh! BTW F*ck the neighbours? I've listend to thier dog bark every night and every morning for the past fortnight :rolleyes:

i was told it was something to do with the gases in

the areosol that fill the air box if you spray it and

then fit it straight in and it leaves no room for air,

and i must admit i did have this problem once on my 05 4rt.

i always have a clean oiled filter sat waiting to go

in no matter what bike ive owned weather is 4 stroke

or 2 stroke.

jsp

Well I got to the trial thanks to you :icon_salut:

Had a good day, although a bit cold up here in Tayside

And I did not to bad

Once again .....................Thanks :thumbup:

Oh! BTW F*ck the neighbours? I've listend to thier dog bark every night and every morning for the past fortnight :rolleyes:

Didn't think there was a trial on up here, which one was it ?