The Future of trials is?

jj65

US.

Everyone keeps going on about the youth being the future of our sport and we should satisfy their needs, concerning the rules, stop or no stop. I disagree, it's not the youth that are the future, it's anyone new to the sport, or who comes back into it, what ever their age or sex.

I wasn't a young rider when I started, my parents couldn't afford it, I got into trials when I was about 26, after riding road bikes since the age of 16 (my only transport for 10 years) I was always keen on motorcycle sport and watched scrambles down at Matchams and Trials in my local area of Ringwood as a young lad and road racing whilst serving in the Airforce in Germany. I had a few trials bikes in the 90's (TY, Fantic 205) and enjoyed riding for about 3 years before leaving to race Parakarts for 7 years. I then returned in 2000 and had another 4 years (3 new Monts and a Scorpa) before spending 5 years on road bikes again, travelling around Europe. Once again I have returned to trials with my new Mont 4RT (always wanted one) and am really enjoying it again. During the off times, I still went to watch WTC and BTC aswell as many local club trials and observed for my local club about 3 or 4 times a year.

The future of the sport of trials and Clubs, is its members, it matters not, what age or sex they are, but I think it's the older riders that make up the core numbers, as they have the cash, whereas the youngsters, loose interest, discover girls/boys, alcohol, get jobs, go to uni or can't afford it now dads not paying (but hopefully they'll be back one day). The main thing for all of us, is to support the clubs with any help we can offer, ride the events and support the dealers to keep them in business. Thank the organisers for their time and effort and thank the observers for observing and giving their time, so we can enjoy our riding.

No matter what rules we ride, or want to ride, we all have something in common, we love trials. Let's not take it for granted that someone else will always do all the hard work, otherwise one day we'll wake up to nothing.

Happy New Year to you all, I hope you all enjoy trials in 2012, and beyond (my first trial of the year is on Monday the 2nd :bouncy: :bouncy: )

Edited by JJ65

US.

Everyone keeps going on about the youth being the future of our sport and we should satisfy their needs, concerning the rules, stop or no stop. I disagree, it's not the youth that are the future, it's anyone new to the sport, or who comes back into it, what ever their age or sex.

The future of the sport of trials and Clubs, is its members, it matters not, what age or sex they are, but I think it's the older riders that make up the core numbers, as they have the cash, whereas the youngsters, loose interest, discover girls/boys, alcohol, get jobs, go to uni or can't afford it now dads not paying (but hopefully they'll be back one day). The main thing for all of us, is to support the clubs with any help we can offer, ride the events and support the dealers to keep them in business. Thank the organisers for their time and effort and thank the observers for observing and giving their time, so we can enjoy our riding.

No matter what rules we ride, or want to ride, we all have something in common, we love trials. Let's not take it for granted that someone else will always do all the hard work, otherwise one day we'll wake up to nothing.

Happy New Year to you all, I hope you all enjoy trials in 2012, and beyond (my first trial of the year is on Monday the 2nd :bouncy: :bouncy: )

:agreed: This will be a contender for the best post of 2012 :thumbup:

Happy New year to you!

US.

I wasn't a young rider when I started, my parents couldn't afford it, I got into trials when I was about 26, after riding road bikes since the age of 16 (my only transport for 10 years) I was always keen on motorcycle sport and watched scrambles down at Matchams and Trials in my local area of Ringwood as a young lad and road racing whilst serving in the Airforce in Germany. I had a few trials bikes in the 90's (TY, Fantic 205) and enjoyed riding for about 3 years before leaving to race Parakarts for 7 years. I then returned in 2000 and had another 4 years (3 new Monts and a Scorpa) before spending 5 years on road bikes again, travelling around Europe. Once again I have returned to trials with my new Mont 4RT (always wanted one) and am really enjoying it again. During the off times, I still went to watch WTC and BTC aswell as many local club trials and observed for my local club about 3 or 4 times a year.

:agreed: :agreed: :agreed: good on yer hit the nail on the head. Happy new year to you :thumbup:

US.

Spot on, well said....................100% agree

Totally agree with 99% of what's written here.

The really big problem with Trials in the UK is the gap in the middle

You are dead right to say that riders have had enough by the time they get to 18/ 20 years old dad runs out of money etc, they realise that they are never going to be Toni Bou and they take to drink and sex.

Then we have the gap, then we have those who are coming back to the sport or have always fancied a go but couldn't afford it when they were younger.

As far as i am concerned Trials have revolved arround this group for years. Everything has been dictated by number of entries, assuming that 150 odd entries is a succesful event. Doesn't make these guys the future.

Our youth riders are the future but weneed to keep them in the sport longer, I have seen the sacrifice and dedication our young riders and their families make for our sport and they have my greatest respect

The future ????? Jack Sheppard no doubt at all pure class

Totally agree with 99% of what's written here.

The really big problem with Trials in the UK is the gap in the middle

You are dead right to say that riders have had enough by the time they get to 18/ 20 years old dad runs out of money etc, they realise that they are never going to be Toni Bou and they take to drink and sex.

Then we have the gap, then we have those who are coming back to the sport or have always fancied a go but couldn't afford it when they were younger.

As far as i am concerned Trials have revolved arround this group for years. Everything has been dictated by number of entries, assuming that 150 odd entries is a succesful event. Doesn't make these guys the future.

Our youth riders are the future but weneed to keep them in the sport longer, I have seen the sacrifice and dedication our young riders and their families make for our sport and they have my greatest respect

The future ????? Jack Sheppard no doubt at all pure class

so then, jack Challoner (17) Alexz Wigg (16) Jon Richardsn (17) do not have the class of jack Sheppard (18)?

Figures in brackets age at which they achieved their first WTC.

It hurts me to say this, but the immediate future of trials today isnt with the youth. It is as said above, with the people coming back into the sport. My opinion is based on my own experience.

With mention of the support of Jack Sheppard from his family whilst extremely admirable, is no different than the sacrifices of ALL the youth riders families supporting their offspring albeit in different ways.

If the youth were the future, then there would be an overwhelming level of financial support going their way from the sport, but there isn't. We've discussed on here before this thorny subject with myself being quite vocal on the subject, and it was quite clear that most riders couldn't give a toss if youth x made world champion.

Edited by AtomAnt

And there's the problem. Too much US and no future. There is no future with the Current riders. The Youths the OP derides are the future. In fact the OP is exactly the sort of rider who causes the problems. They have no investment in the sport UNLESS they agree with it. Post of the year? more like if he stays a year I'll be surprised!!!!

The future of trials might be clubs using their ground for more arranged open practice days. Charge around a tenner, come and go as you please, ride whatever rules you want..., set your own severity, saves the club a lot of hassle e.g finding observers, setting out etc. Maybe set a few sections out for the kids/beginners so that new starters have people to ride with and learn from. This format might also be less daunting for a newcomer to the sport.

Everyone enjoys and appreciates riding a decent trial but on a week-by-week basis the flexibilty offered by a practice day will appeal to many.

Edited by SurgeonRocher

The future of trials might be clubs using their ground for more arranged open practise days. Charge around a tenner, come and go as you please, ride whatever rules you want..., set your own severity, saves the club a lot of hassle e.g finding observers, setting out etc. Maybe set a few sections out for the kids/beginners so that new starters have people to ride with and learn from. This format might also be less daunting for a newcomer to the sport.

Everyone enjoys and appreciates riding a decent trial but on a week-by-week basis the flexibilty offered by a practise day will appeal to many.

It's a good idea, I tried this very thing a few years ago at Sambourne Farm, excluding the club members running the day we had six turn up and one of those (with his brother and his mate)had to go to hospital when he cut his leg open.

We had a good day out and it was nice weather but still lost money (permit, insurance, land hire.)

If I could get say 15 riders to commit to another I'd do it again.