Cota 247 - 1969

greeves

• 1 year later...

Hi

Mystery Montesa that appeared at UK Int trial and Waterlooville, 1969 I think.

Regards

Martin

2012-04-05-23-53-33.jpg

Seeing this picture ..... left me breathless for a while ! This is Henk Vink Montesa 247 . He was Dutch Trials Champion many times in the 60ies (James, Triumph, Montesa) and early 70ties. Then he turned to Dragracing Kawasakis " the big spender" bikes and later rocket bikes . He was Kawasaki Importer in Holland and had the special cylinder made by Jan Thiel (the famous 2 stroke tuner , Yamathi, Kreidler van Veen, Bultaco , Aprillia ) The frame was plated as you see. I bought this bike 25 years ago in boxes and still have it to restore it! This is the first colour picture I see of the bike ; just great!

Edited by esperovich

Hi
Interesting bike.
It's an earlyish 247 - 1969 - but fitted with smaller hubs, the front from a Honda 90 stepthru, I think.
The bike is still on steel yokes, early fork slider bottoms and a grey tank stopper.
Presumably the mods were a private venture from Henk in Holland ??
Should make for an interesting restoration, so keep us informed.
Kind Regards
Sparks

Edited by sparks2

Steels yokes and early sliders didn't find them so far , all the rest is there. Interesting about the front brakes ...Friend of mine (same age as mine , born in 1965) said of the front brake ....Yamaha FS1 (Fizzer) rear brake.... I'll post 2 pictures of the barrel , original 247 and the square special. Mr Thiel used a lot bigger ports!!! those it look like a Greeves cylinder barrel????? I am now tracking down the old preppers who worked for Henk Vink, Renstal Bruinsma , mustn't wait to long because they are all in their 70ties

post-18756-0-23860400-1399993005_thumb.jpg

post-18756-0-34489600-1399993118_thumb.jpg

Hi

Bultaco UK have just taken delivery of a small batch 247 Mk1 and the first Mk11 (small hub, extra flywheel) straight through silencers.

Got it today al looks the business, but might need to make a bit of clearance around the petcock. Hammer in or cut, weld and plate.

I had to completly rebuild and repack my original and whilst it is ok the original steel casing is a bit too thin in places and about to fail, looking forward to trying the new silencer out.

I have been using the Elextrex World Mont 348 ignition for a year now without issue. The 348 flywheel is heavier than the 247, so earlier this year skimmed the face material off the flywheel until it matched the weight of the original 247. Bit more zip, nice. Personally I cannot fault their kit I have fitted 3 now (2 to my Sherpas, 1 to the Mont) ultra reliable.

Regards

Martin

Edited by triple_x

• 2 weeks later...

• 10 months later...

latest update on 247 Henk Vink 247 restoration!  Frame is replated now and I am starting to put everything together I was a bit nervous because of the level of plating. Henk Vink was the first of all ( F1 teams included) to have his presentation superb. thats why he had a nickel plated Montesa 247 frame. I had it replated but how shiny it was and had to be? ( I want to ride it !!!)  luckily I found some prove it was not that shiny inside out in those days!

post-18756-0-51204000-1429134728_thumb.jpg

Edited by esperovich