Colmore Cup - Non Stop Rules.

pete_scorpa3

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK So explain Horsforth's Weekend Novice and Beginners.......

err is it a Trial for Novices and Beginners by any chance ? if so Novices and Beginners, neither of which have much experience or skill at riding trials bikes, will be taking part in a Trial that is set to a level that caters for their lack of skill and experience. Hope that helps :chairfall:

Edited by Old trials fanatic

err is it a Trial for Novices and Beginners by any chance ? if so Novices and Beginners, neither of which have much experience or skill at riding trials bikes, will be taking part in a Trial that is set to a level that caters for their lack of skill and experience. Hope that helps :chairfall:

:rotfl:

True but if the majourity of riders were as anti No Stop, as some posters on here would try to make us believe, then how come it is so well supported? :popcorn:

False actually, its only recently gone no stop last 3 years or so

or did you mean its been no stop whilst sponsored by S3 ?

False actually, its only recently gone no stop last 3 years or so

or did you mean its been no stop whilst sponsored by S3 ?

OK so it's only been no stop for the last 3 years. What i was getting at was to read so many earlier posts on TC expounding how support for trials would collapse with hoards of people packing it in because of the return to no stop the facts dont seem to support that point of view especially as the Colmore Cup run to no stop rules, as you point out it has been for the last 3 years, was a sell out with a FULL entry. :popcorn:

You are missing the point on the stop/no stop debate on this one . The colmore trial is fortunate in that it has the terrain available to be able to mark out no stop sections.(Although thats not what this thread was initially about)

I would say from my own experience that the introduction of an easier clubman route at the Novagar/S3 Champs has had a huge impact on the number of riders entering these events not the introduction of no stop.

Pete Scorpa , what was the relevance of your video link of Alexz? Were you trying to demonstrate your views on the stop/no stop debate ?

Pete Scorpa , what was the relevance of your video link of Alexz? Were you trying to demonstrate your views on the stop/no stop debate ?

I agree, putting in a B route on 50% of the sections has made a significant difference to entries.

I found the video from Top Farm in 2009 when I was trying to remember the last time we ran the Colmore under non stop, I thought you might like to watch it. The section came up a very steep grassy field along the course of an old Cotswold stone wall that has fallen down.

The B route rode straight up and the A route had the diversion to the side over a larger more awkward stone. Nothing dangerous but it still took a few marks.

Here's another from the same spot. Remember, this is actually very steep!

You are missing the point on the stop/no stop debate on this one . The colmore trial is fortunate in that it has the terrain available to be able to mark out no stop sections.(Although thats not what this thread was initially about)

From my experience it is always much easier to find terrain to lay out no stop sections than it is to find stop allowed sections so dont follow you on that one at all.

It IS relevant to discuss no stop or stop allowed on this thread BECAUSE the Colmore Cup was run to and has been no stop for a while yet so many people are making out that no stop will be the death of trials. So how come the entry list was full then? or is it that the dummy spitters wouldnt/couldnt ride proper trials like the Colmore Cup.

BTW and this is not meant as a derrogatory comment aimed at Becky Cook but the video proves EXACTLY why trials should be run no stop. That wasnt a sucessful attempt at a section in the spirit of Trials surely? It deserved a 5 for a failed attempt.

Either way it's a well deserved sucess for the hard working SoA club. Well done guys :thumbup:

Edited by Old trials fanatic

I found the video from Top Farm in 2009 when I was trying to remember the last time we ran the Colmore under non stop, I thought you might like to watch it. The section came up a very steep grassy field along the course of an old Cotswold stone wall that has fallen down.

Here's a clip from the next section, it's on the other side of the same bank and it gives you a btter idea of how steep the hill was. Stopping really didn't help on this section.

A lot of riders failed here completely, this was a truly fantastic ride by Maria Conway!

One last one but from 2010 which was TSR22b.

This is the third of the 'Three Sisters' climbs in Dovedale whihc riders can look forward to. We always make this one graded, the three board has an escape route and many of the clubmen riders turn off after that, but after the three there's no escape! It's wet, muddy, rooted, and vertical! (And did I mention muddy!)

Not many cleans here, but this was one of the very few.

From my experience it is always much easier to find terrain to lay out no stop sections than it is to find stop allowed sections so dont follow you on that one at all.

It IS relevant to discuss no stop or stop allowed on this thread BECAUSE the Colmore Cup was run to and has been no stop for a while yet so many people are making out that no stop will be the death of trials. So how come the entry list was full then? or is it that the dummy spitters wouldnt/couldnt ride proper trials like the Colmore Cup.

BTW and this is not meant as a derrogatory comment aimed at Becky Cook but the video proves EXACTLY why trials should be run no stop. That wasnt a sucessful attempt at a section in the spirit of Trials surely? It deserved a 5 for a failed attempt.

Either way it's a well deserved sucess for the hard working SoA club. Well done guys :thumbup:

The reason why you don't follow me on that one old trials fanatic may be because you live in an area blessed with perfect trials land. I suggest you come down to say the south midland centre and get a more balanced view of the big picture mate.

I ride trials all over the country and the reason for this is simple , most of the land round here is crap , trials like the Bemrose ,Reeth 3 day , Longmynd , Dave Rowland , East yorks 2 day ,etc etc are all run at superb venues that provide perfect sections for no stop. I can assure you things are very different down south at some venues. That is why i firmly beleive that a blanket rule EITHER way will not work. The best solution in my opinion would be for the coc to decide on the marking rules based on the venue , conditions etc etc on the day of the event.

There is no better section than a long winding rocky stream or huge hillside blast , but please remember that some parts of this country are FLAT !