Electronic Ignition

andy.t

Just wanted a bit of advice on Electronic ignition. I'm thinking about fitting some Electrex World electronic ignition on my AJS Stormer and was looking for a bit of confirmation as to whether it would noticeably improve the engine pick up from low revs. The bike is fitted with points and set up 2mm btdc a the moment and does actually run a treat but I keep telling myself that static ignition like what I have can't be getting the most out of the engine. Any advice from any two stroke experts out there, I know some of you must have been motocross stars at some point. Cheers for any replies.

Most people say that the performance benefit is further up the rev range where the electronic advance starts to come in - rather than the fixed original setup.I would have thought that easier starting and smoother running at low speeds would be just as welcome.

Plenty of people around here have adapted it to allsorts of bikes with excellent results.

Thanks for the replies so far. Could anybody let me know what they think... when a bike has static ignition at what point would the optimum efficiency be for the fixed setting on the points be?.If for example on my bike at 2mm btdc, if the best power would be at 5000rpm then I'm kind of thinking that the electronic ignition would probably give benefits lower down the range. Just trying to figure out when the bike was designed what made them come up with the 2mm btdc as the best setting and if I fitted electronic at what point would that improve things. I know you can play around with the static settings pending on the state of tune of the engine but would like to go electronic unless there's no great advantage.cheers for any more advice

It will improve performance accross the range. A two stroke needs less advance at higher RPM (unlike a 4 stroke)

I suggest you have a look at the PVL home page (difficult to find - I will post link tonight) and read two stroke tuning by A Graham Bell.

I would be inclined to give the programable digital ignition serious consideration.

Cheers

It will improve performance accross the range. A two stroke needs less advance at higher RPM (unlike a 4 stroke)

I suggest you have a look at the PVL home page (difficult to find - I will post link tonight) and read two stroke tuning by A Graham Bell.

I would be inclined to give the programable digital ignition serious consideration.

Cheers

Thats a good point,and from memory the Electrex kits give 28 degrees of advance from the base setting.Be worth getting the specs before spending any money,or holing a piston etc.

Thanks for the replies so far. Could anybody let me know what they think... when a bike has static ignition at what point would the optimum efficiency be for the fixed setting on the points be?.If for example on my bike at 2mm btdc, if the best power would be at 5000rpm then I'm kind of thinking that the electronic ignition would probably give benefits lower down the range. Just trying to figure out when the bike was designed what made them come up with the 2mm btdc as the best setting and if I fitted electronic at what point would that improve things. I know you can play around with the static settings pending on the state of tune of the engine but would like to go electronic unless there's no great advantage.cheers for any more advice

I think they give you the '2mm'btdc as an easy measurement, as it saves you setting up a degree disc to do it via crank degrees.

I think they give you the '2mm'btdc as an easy measurement, as it saves you setting up a degree disc to do it via crank degrees.

A fixed setting is a compromise to suit the whole RPM range. For trials bikes it is usually chosen to provide the best performance at low to mid RPM. On an MX or road race bike it is chosen to provide the best performance at the top end of the RPM range.

An ignition that has the correct curve for a motor and application gets rid of the compromise

• 2 weeks later...

I have used electronic ignition from different sources on my Yamahas TY175 and TY250 both were an inprovement in the reliability of tickover and drive from low rpm as well as the ability to rev hard.

well worth the inverstment in my opinion.