Montesa 4rt Owners :- What's Good And What's Bad?

johnnyboxer

So, you want to know the pros and cons of the 4RT. Well, here goes - but not too long. The cons are very few indeed. There's no doubt that in some, slippery situations it's not as good as a two-stroke; you need to be more determined than on a stroker, you have to be the boss and force it, but those are the only real problems. The standard clutch master cylinder does not allow sufficient feel, and is best replaced with one from a 315. In addition, I have Hebo foot rests fitted and a 43 tooth rear sprocket.

The pros are numerous. It's definitely more stable, therefore more controllable in many situations, particularly downhill, it inspires lots of confidence. It's GREAT fun to ride, and it doesn't need the restrictors taking out. It tracks well, steers well, has superb suspension and is great across country. It doesn't need to run at 1800 rpm, it's fine slower than that though it makes it marginally more difficult to start, it's a price I think is worth paying. Build quality is superb, OK, it's more than a stroker in pound notes, but so is a BMW compared to a Fiesta and they both do the same job.

Do I regret buying one? - not at all. Would I buy another or would I buy a stroker? - it would be another 4RT. Why did I buy it? Well, I seriously considered a Beta, but fancied the Mont, so I bought the Mont on the basis that if I didn't like it, at least I had got it out of my system and could then go to a Beta. If I had bought the Beta instead, I would have always been thinking, "I fancy a Mont". As I like thw Mont, I'm happy and have no desires now for anything else.

Does that tell you what you want to know?

Bad points: as per Hillary, slippery conditions (mud) but only when leaning forward. keep your weight over the rear and it'll lift the front end in deepest of mud. gearing to high

Good points: Front end is so neutral, loads of confidence, standard clutch works fine for me, brakes, suspension, smooth running, lots of power. can be ridden like a 2-stroke - best using the bottom end power.

Bad points for Montesa/HRC: i've stopped visiting my local dealer the bike will last for 10 years without braking. :rolleyes:

Good points for Montesa/HRC: quality product

I'd agree with that as it's a pretty good synopsis of what I've found.

Very nice to ride on rocky terrain due to superb suspension and steering and for whatever the reason, it does feel 'planted'. On cambers and greasy surfaces it grips well and can pull higher gear/lower revs dues to excellent torque and find grip well.

I'd agree that in really thick, deep mud a 2-stroke in 4th gear flat out will probably clear the tyre and burn through to find grip better than the 4RT but there aren't many sections like that overall, even in our poxy muddy midlands trials. So a trial like the Colmore with really big snotty climbs may favour the 2-stroke - but it never used to bother Saunders on the RTL.........

I've ridden it in 2 trials and loved it and find it easy to ride. I've also lowered the tickover so I can ride it on the throttle, old-fashioned style when I want and it really is excellent at allowing you to just trickle along and pick a path without slipping the bloody clutch everywhere. No flat spots, no power bands, just perfectly linear power delivery all the way through. Nice. It's just a bit of trial and error working out how low you can go with the tickover before it won't start... Larger back sprocket also fitted.

I have to say that it puts a smile on my face and I feel it has that undefinable thing - character. I've even taken to having little rides around the garden on it, just to hear it. Restrictors are all in and it has enough go for me - haven't found it lacking yet. It is also nice to ride on the road, engine doesn't hunt or detonate and it is almost comfortable to sit on/in.

I realise they aren't to everyone's taste and I'd never say they are the best thing out there - each to there own. You need to try one on varied and proper sections to evaluate whether you like them, not try one around the carpark or listen to the crap such as 'they've got no power cos Lampkin can't clear 8 foot vertical steps' to make an assessment.

I tried two at two seperate trials over a weekend and had sold the 5 week, 3 trials old 280 pro and bought one within a week and I'm very happy with it.

One thing that hacks me off though. They've got digital ignition, fuel injection, whatever and the speedo looks like it has come out of the 349 parts bin with a cable down to the front wheel that is just begging to snag a branch. Why couldn't they fit a digital one? Small point I know but...

I can live with it though... :rolleyes:

I pretty much agree with all of the comments that Hillary made including the changes made to the bike. These changes are of course personal choices as it is a fine machine as received from the manufacturer. There is no need to remove the restrictors. If more power is required ( I don't see why ), then adjustments can be made electronically with kits available to the dealers. It is a fine machine and I would recommend it to anyone thinking of getting one. :rolleyes:

When i first tried the bike in mud, i couldn't get it to grip. It just takes time to get used to the power delivery and how to use it. Now not only does the bike destroy even the hardest slippery rock sections, as Mr Thorpe found out yesterday. It also inialates the stickiest of mud. It takes time and practice to get the best from the 4rt, but the rewards are exceptional.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice post there Woody, I myself like the fourstroke bikes, not sure which one I'd buy though :huh:

Honda seem to get it right most of the time, I love my CBR600 :banana:

Not too sure on the fuel injection thing yet on a trials bike.

From the Spannering point of view the Sherco would be my bet , like to be able to fix them myself if they mess up.

Scorpa's bike will be interesting too :banana: anybody know much about it??

From the Spannering point of view the Sherco would be my bet , like to be able to fix them myself if they mess up

Judging by their performance in Scotland I'd be buying a new set of spanners ready! :huh::banana:

GOOD: No petcock, no choke, no pre-mix, quiet and torque out the a--, no need to even downshift on the trail, traction, everything seems to happen slower and better, fit & finish, etc.

BAD: Geared a little tall in 1st for most, that's all I can think of. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

GOOD - Total reliability so far, especially in the SSDT. Started first kick every day, virtually maintenance free, just the usual checks, rad, spokes (always ok) tyre presures and changed the airfilter Wednesday, topped up with a bit of oil Thursday and that was it. Cruised on the road at 60mph if needed, even with the 43 tooth rear sprocket. Good on the moors and forest tracks, good low down torque meant minimum gear changes. Just lost a rear mudguard bolt, front mudguard stay bolt and the rear restrictor through six days of SSDT vibration but I can put up with that. Never lost any coolant all week.

BAD - well, it only seemed to affect me but I ran out of fuel on the Thursday run up to Chairlift and I have no idea why (I wasn't thrashing it) Don't know if taping over the vent holes in the mudguard made it guzzle a bit more fuel but I was the only one to run out. And it happened again on Saturday, but this time just a few hundred yards shy of the fuel stop. Sandifords reckon that the 4RT holds 2.6 litres and should range 75km on that, whereas the 315 holds 2.2 litres and should range 37km. I noticed at the fuel stops though that it seemed to take longer to refuel me than it did the two strokes. Only other bad point I can think of is that the rear mudguard is not as bendy as the one on my old 98 315 which you could tie in a knot. The 4RT one seems to crack too easily.

But these are small points. Great bike and I love it.

Edited by Woody

Woody, were you one of the 3 'Hope' Monts?

Some trick looking kit fitted to those buggers - very nice (apart from the green stickers) :rolleyes:

If only..... I'm at the other end of the results table from Steven 'woody' Hole.

Their bikes did look nice but like you, not sure about the green

;) Can anyone shed light on the rumour I heard that these bikes can cost a grand for an annual service ?

I am not anti-mont, as I have an '02 315R now, but it's certainly making me think twice about buying a 4Rt. What about it JRSunt? will Al the spanner spill the beans?

• 2 weeks later...