Highland Classic 2012

turbo

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks,thanks for puting on the trial.Just looking at the results,what a lot of retired riders and massive scores,what I seen of Sunday I'm not surprised,not really pre65.Hope you get the entry for next year,thank.Tam

Tam, Fair points made, thanks for your comments - I rode the blue route (easier)Pre-65 and lost more on the Sunday, I really enjoyed my Saturday run, I didn't ride well at all Sunday which I put down to a couple of matters, but less of me and my weekend! - but more importantly - three points (all factual) to note direct from the IDMCC:

1. Rain came on Sunday and at Alvie that makes things a bit harder generally.

2. The course adjusters did not know any of the Saturday scores when they altered/reviewed the sections late on saturday - this was discussed at the de-brief on Tuesday this week and in reality the sections should have been eased further on the Sunday - scores were spot on Saturday when you look at them Chips only dropped 3 on the hard route, so we would have had a winner anyway - point taken. Unfortunately, our secretary of the meeting didn't manage to get results done on Saturday early on, this wont happen next year.

3. All matters discussed including retiral rate of which 70% of retirals was down to mechanical failure, "Big Robert B" was sensibly concerned about his ribs which he broke at the Scottish Pre65 - 4 Yamahas all went out with electronic ignition failure alone!. Club can't help that?

Most of the feedback we have received on the Sunday and apre-trial was good, especially from the harder route riders who thought it was a fair challenge.

I did speak to a couple of our "more mature" competitors who thought it on the hard side, but these were in the minority. When I asked if any section was dangerous/ unachievable or stupid - they all said "no" - but they lost too many fives!

Fact: Can't please everyone, but having said that it appears to me that the majority enjoyed the experience especially the cheese and wine hospitality session on the Saturday after lap two! Great craic which is what Alvie Highland Classic is all about, the banter and cameraderie!

The Inverness club have something really unique at Alvie Estate now, thanks to the laird - Jamie Williamson and his ever helpful factor Mr. David Kinnaird, in that we are permitted to ride on a fantastic piece of land right in the middle of a national park system of which we use only 0.5% of the land mass, it is a shooting and game estate which under normal circumstances, motorcycles would certainly not be allowed to go never mind compete! The benevolence shown by these land owners we can never repay. Just try shooting some deer at Alvie for a day or a stay at the splendid Alvie House for a wedding party and see how much it costs! We count ourselves really priviledged just to be allowed near the place.

Lastly, it will all be "fixed" for 2013 - we listen to our riders and learn and we strive to maintain that "Highland Classic is the friendliest classic trial in Scotland".

Entry forms will be available early February 2013, hopefully by Wrighty's show at Telford, dates will be: 8/9 June 2013.

We have some exciting developments too, it will be easier next year - guaranteed!

Hope this clarifies matters.

Big John

Edited by big john

Hi John thought the trial was very good ,fair point for the Sunday ,only thing missing was camping/overnight parking at the venue would perhaps have a better craic. cheers TumblingTam

Hi Tumblingtam,

We have investigated the issue of camping many times before, but the owners are not keen on camping on Alvie itself, it raises some issues with their tenants, insurance, land use etc. Also Alvie Estate Ltd also has an interest in their neighbouring "Dalraddy Estate" which houses the campsite on the other side of the A9. We can't get everything our own way!

Additionally, the factor usually arranges a coach load of "friends of the estate" to proudly exhibit the trial which helps publicise what is available on their land to their investors. Never seen this done before, they didn't do it this year but have done the past four events!

As I said earlier, we are extremely fortunate as a small Highland based motorcycle club, and being covered by SACU insurance, they asked the downhill mountain bikers to leave as their cover was not up to the management specification for landowners risk cover! The area is a tightly managed commercial estate, we could never pay for it if charged the usual tariff for use!

I hope this explains things a bit better.

Come and join us in 2013!

Big John

In my opinion it was a great event. Sunday sections were easy to mess if you did not pay atention... it happened to me...

He re there is a report I wrote in Todotrial with pics by Hilary Little and a very nice video from David Moffat, thanks all and I&D Motoclub for the event.

http://www.todotrial.com/ttclasico/competicion2012/highland-classic-2012.htm

• Like 1

Wow! Greeves, good, brilliant report on todo trial classico.

Good photos of Willie Robertson and company there, thanks to Hillary Little too who allows us to use images of the trial for the commemorative decals and advertising!

Big John

as greeves says easy to have a 5.chips could ride one handed and still have a great score.i stayed at the campsite cant fault the toilets or showers with good craic on sat night.i didnt ask for any 5s sectoins must have been ok for me.hope to make it back next year.

• Like 1

Here is a little taste of Scotland, just to whet your appetite for the 2013 edition which will have a theme to it. with Special Guests of honour and.... more! Bring on the red carpet for Highland Classic 2013.

Pre-65's will continue to be fully catered for, remember we run two routes at Alvie and the severity will be eased for enjoyment and sport!

Big John

Video production by Steven M

Big John, couldn't fault the trial,it was a mega event for me.I was a

wee bit oot ma depth(4th trial on a twinshock,started riding trials

last year),I managed more cleans on the Sunday than on the

Saturday.Looking forward to next year.

cheers the noo Brian

Interesting that I didn't hear any criticism until riders were safely out of the organisers' earshot at the next week's trial so fair play to Tam for an opinion communicated to the Club.

I didn't find the Sunday any more difficult, indeed I did much better on the Sunday, lost nearly 200 overall on the A route but felt that I could have been cleaning almost every section (but then that's been the story of my trials career) so the fault was mine, not the section plotters'. Funnily enough my best rides were on the most difficult sections.

I didn't think the scores were ridiculous, in terms of indicating severe sections. Let's put things in to context.

By sheer chance I have recently uncovered issues of "Motorcycle Scot" from 1982. There is a report of a one-day Forfar trial (the venue is not stated, only identified as being loaned by the Perth club). The first three dropped 48, 58 and 65 with first class awards going up to 124 marks lost. Bikes aren't identified beyond the best schoolboy being on an Italjet but presumably all standard twinshock fare. Funnily enough the winner was reported as being one Alan Craik (sic).

There's another one-day event at Kilbirnie which venue is still in use I believe. Winner dropped 70, first class awards ranged from 107 to 141.

A few of the competitors in these trials are still riding, notably Ross Thomson, still on SWM.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

Well if 'Broony' thought it was Mega, he will be back for more next year for sure, but the club will be pulling back the severity on the Sunday to help matters.

This actual event was originally designed by Malcolm Smith as a one-day trial some years ago to give Scottish Pre65 riders a ride, so they didn't just pull their bikes out once a year to ride the pre-65 at Kinlochleven which, incidentally I feel lost a little of its' sparkle this year, not because of the sections or the going, but a significant number of the old trials personalities that make it a special event have simply not attended this year - which is a shame as it was the highlight of my year that event more so than actually riding the trial. Coupled with the fact there was a considerable amount of ill-will by those who were caught out by having non-compliant bikes which unfortunately created an under-current. Again lots said out of earshot of the organisers for fear of reprisals - not that any would be taken, that is a myth.

So for me the cameraderie was lacking somewhat.

The Inverness club doesn't wish to lose sight of the fact it was created for Pre65 runners at Alvie, but there is no doubt in Scotland the popularity of twinshock is now far outweighing the Pre65 portion and I must admit I may ride one of my many Bultacos at Alvie next year just for a change. After all that is what I really started out on was Bultos! It was my father that rode AJS and Matchless in his youth, not me.

Anyway, as I said we have been on the case this week and are planning next year and trying to improve as much as possible...watch this space!

Big John

Haw Broony - Cheers the noo!

Big John:

Nice to see that later model twinshocks may be alowed at this event. Its on my bucket list, this and Robregordo in Spain. have to ship out a tasty little Fantic at some point and bunk with me buddy Harry Mckay! One of these days!!!

Steve

Good to get a answer to the camping John makes sense the estate wants you to use the park which is first class , any way we will be back next year been and bought a TY125 so Bob can ride next year ,will need abit of tlc before that .Tam