Tlr 200 Rattle And No Roll

keychange

Hi do you still have the standaed TLR kickstarter on the bike, complete with the stop arm fixed by the rear brake lever?

TLTEL

Yes I do - although when I first got the bike 18 months ago it was a horrible mess of corrosion and rat eaten remnants (see below) so I completely disassembled. On reassembly I left off all the street gear and I overlooked the stop arm. So for first test ride the kick start was slamming into the footrest and I guess it is possible the case got cracked then and it has taken this long to break. However there were some signs on an earlier oil change some very small aluminium filings in the bottom of the oil pan. But it coincided with gear selector issues that I fixed and I thought they were related.

TLRCorrosion.jpg

So kickstart, bearings piston and barrel all look ok. I will replace the valve stem seals and the cam chain, sprocket and tensioner - any suggestions as to what else I should replace as a routine job while I have the cases apart.

PowerSportsPlus USA appear to have all that I need at reasonable prices does anyone have any experiences with them.

Now I just have to remember:

The pistons connected to the ... conrod

The conrods connected to the ....big end

The big ends connected to the ...crank shaft

Now hear the word of the Lord.

ummm what's the next verse?

529151_3451062387953_1012553992_3156213_1940720034_n.jpg

"oh where do all these shims go ???!"

• 2 weeks later...

The rebuild is on the back burner due to family issues - however I would like ideas on whether I need and what I should buy as a valve spring compressor. I am only replacing the stem seals but I did have a quick try with some large G clamps and that ain't going to work. Since I have a bit of time up my sleeve I might as well take advantage and get whatever tools I need

Not sure how the valves are set in the TLR head but I have done TL ones several times with a standard car valve spring compressor with a socket or tube spacer on the spring end, its easy getting them apart but a bit fidley putting the collets back in. put a small blob of grease on the stem and they will stick, then locate them with a small screwdriver.

TLTEL

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - I have been away for a month - family issues and only now looking at the engine - any response on using silicon as well as paper gasket would be appreociated

Also I read elsewhere that valve lapping was not as critical as it used to be - any thoughts on this as finding lapping compound near home will be tough