Tlr 200 Rattle And No Roll

keychange

I was riding my TLR 200 over a practice stage today for about an hour and everything was running fine as normal - although at the beginning of my ride the clutch felt to be slightly slipping and so I backed off the cable adjustment and all was good.

Eventually I stopped for a rest - maybe 10 minutes and when I went back she started first kick as usual but a terrible rattle coming from the clutch side - sounding like around the starter area but not sure.

I immediately switched off and trailered the bike home and removed the clutch cover - this is what I found however I can't see where the problems is. The engine turns over smoothly by hand - can anyone throw me an idea where to begin. Metal pieces are non-ferrous.

metal.jpg

TLRclutch.jpg

Edited by keychange

First strip the clutch, your problem started there, but I would not be satisfied until I the thing would lay in parts on the table, You see finding the problem is one thing but the most important thing is finding the cause of the problem.

Guy

Well clutch area looks fine - no sign of any damage or wear and so the motor is now on the bench. I guess I have to split the cases, funny after 40 years and lost count how many bikes, I have never had to split the cases before .... this might take a while.

Is this something that would fit through the oil filling hole? Do you have small kids that like to play near your bike?

It would fit through the oil hole - but no kids - the cases are full of shrapnel so It something inside - the clutch area is intact and the cam area is fine - I am gradually dismantling as time permits

I have the flywheel cover off an no sign of violence - but I can't shift the cylinder head bolt - it is only a 10mm head and have tried ring spanner and impact driver - heated the area around the bolt and it just will not move. ..... update used socket head on impact driver and belted the bugger till it gave up

Edited by keychange

Finally have the engine split and sure enough here is the damage - but why did it happen, it looks like the kick start catch on the ratchet has slipped past the stopper bolt and snapped of that part of the casing - I welcome other suggestions. Good news is that on superficial inspection apart from the lump of casing missing there is no other damage . The casing looks sound, there appears no damage to gears etc . Barrel and piston look fine great is the barrel in this coated? If not it does need a hone. The bearing are all nice and firm although I have not had a chance to check all of the clearances - if ok I will reassemble and replace cam chain and adjusters - is there anything else I should do will I have it apart?

enginecase.jpg