Evo 250 Or 300

morton

hello ,

I am intersted in peoples veiws of the pro and cons of the 300 2t over the 250cc for a clubman level rider.

I have heard the 300 is an easier ride but I cant understand why as my 250 evo has more power than I will ever need and often leaves me behind.

Iam hoping to change bike soon and have an open mind on what to try but would like to stay with the beta 2t.

thanks.

hello ,

I am intersted in peoples veiws of the pro and cons of the 300 2t over the 250cc for a clubman level rider.

I have heard the 300 is an easier ride but I cant understand why as my 250 evo has more power than I will ever need and often leaves me behind.

Iam hoping to change bike soon and have an open mind on what to try but would like to stay with the beta 2t.

thanks.

Get a 200! You don't have this problem and you won't miss the power. Especially when tired on the last lap. You'll clean up then (picking up course section flags).

I had a 300 before my 200 thinking I needed the 300's power. I was stupid and dull for thinking this. I only ride in the biffer sportsman class but my result have skyrocketed since having a bike I control and don't fear. There is nothing I've not been able to do on the 200 and I have not flipped it or done silly too-much-power things.

You will be surprised with the 200's torque. Its a cracking bike and not a rev monster. If you fancy a drive to Newport or passing you could have a blat on mine. You'd be hooked!

Edited by pindie

Totally agree with others - go for the 200. I have a 2012 Evo 200 having had a 2009 Evo 125 before that after a Fantic 245 after being away from trials for 19 years. I have largely ridden Club Class but have had a few trials riding C grade (in Oz). The 200 is more than capable. The Evo 125 is also a great bike, feels light, nimble and makes you use the bike and body and the revs to achieve things. You only have to look at the Youth class at WTC etc to appreciate that the 125s can do things that I don't want to attempt (or perhaps not capable of attempting).

The 200 does have more low down torque than the 125 and is certainly not wanting for top end. It doesn't need the revs that the 125 did, It was put to me that the 125 and 250 were like a pair - they liked the revs, and the 200 and 290/300 were the other pairing - torquier low down. The potential advantage of the 200 is that compared to the 300 there is overall less power to control. I admit that I have tweaked mine a little with Boyesen Dual stage reeds and rejetted accordingly and also put a modified throttle on it - sort of equivalent to a Domino fast throttle in the early stages but a slow action equivalent in the later stages. Still working out whether I like it or not - potentially good for those short sharp steps from a stop without dialing in the full power too quickly.

Thanks for the replies,I hadn't thought about the 200,i like the idea of of a lighter engine ,less mass spinning about and all that makes sense in how the bike would feel lighter,but would it take a thrashing on the ride round the lap.

Thanks for the offer of a spin Pindie But it's a bit too far,but I know the answer is to try all 3 options.

More to think about now.

You'll love a 200. I never seem to need any more oomph. I have a mate with a 270 and whilst he gets out of shap on the trail I am gone and he is left to follow me by my A747 scent trail!

Don't waste energy - get a 200!

i love that smell

You'll love a 200. I never seem to need any more oomph. I have a mate with a 270 and whilst he gets out of shap on the trail I am gone and he is left to follow me by my A747 scent trail!

Don't waste energy - get a 200!

Id go 300 as larger bikes often have more bottom end and less snappy. My last bike Gas Gas 300 was great just put slow action throttle on, now my current bike Gas Gas 250 is a real bitch to ride so i have put low compression head on and s3 flywheel weight.

I have ride both 250 and 300 and i would say both were great however i found the 250 flat n the 300 rode better for me.

Smaller bikes often need revving to get them going resulting in wheel spin unlike on tap power. End of the day its down to what you like n get on with.

In my estimation the 200 is effectively an "old fashioned" 250 in the way the motor works. I have ridden for decades with a pal and we're evenly matched on the rough but he couldn't keep up with the 200 on any of his Scorpa 250s so it's plenty fast enough.

+1. 200's are not slow, weak or gutless. They are just simple to ride all day. So much so I often wonder what people find hard on some things. Then I try their 250/270/280/300 and see why! Needless to say I get my 200 back and zoom up/over the obstacle and start giggling! (when I don't cock it up myself that is).