Should Trials Be An Olympic Sport?

billyt

reasons for;

It would make us (horrible bikers) more acceptable to general public..worldwide

I could watch it on free to air tV

some of the (taxpayers... that includes us!) funding would provide riding /training areas

more sales lower unit cost of machinery?

Imagine the "legacy" trials park after the few days of competition... did anyone see what they built for canoes?..any of the disciplines actually.

If outdoor trials was on normal TV I reckon it would have a chance. Costs are soon forgotten when "air time" is used well.

Loads of people used to watch Kickstart and generally whole families not just a keen enthusiast.

If the olympic officials and the ability to allow BMX as an Olympic sport then maybe there is hope for trials been considered?

BMX????????? I guess they have to hold the competitions during the day as the competitors would have to be in bed by 8pm LOL

No.

It's a form of Motorsport.

Trialing is a sport which requires great skill, technique, practice and a high level of fitness...

...but then again so does formula 1 racing - but that's not an Olympic sport.

Plus the fact that the majority of Olympic sports are accessible to practicly anybody weather you are rich or poor. Trial bikes arnt cheap, you'd need at least two of the same machine to compete with at an Olympic level, plus other expenses like the logistics of ferrying a couple of motorbikes, fuel, oils etc etc.

This would sort of narrow down the competition to only those that could afford to do it - in my view that's not what the Olympics are about.

Really?, I sat through about a half hour of mindsuckingly boring horse crap called "Dressage"

How the hell do they call that a sport

Sure there is a lot of dedication there but that stuff does not deserve to be in the same league as an Olympic gymnast

Plus the fact that the majority of Olympic sports are accessible to practicly anybody weather you are rich or poor. Trial bikes arnt cheap, you'd need at least two of the same machine to compete with at an Olympic level, plus other expenses like the logistics of ferrying a couple of motorbikes, fuel, oils etc etc.

This would sort of narrow down the competition to only those that could afford to do it - in my view that's not what the Olympics are about.

You think Trials are expensive? The horses being used at the Olympics would sell for $200,000 to multi millions. The cost to compete is at another level also. Flying a bike overseas is not cheap, try buying a ticket for a horse. I know 2 riders who paid to fly their horses to England and compete at Badmington (which was cancelled due to excess rain making the course unsafe) to try and gain a selection into the Australian team. One made it as a reserve the other did not. Unfortuatly her horse became sick after being selected so she was then replaced by another rider. They are both Olympic medal winners (1 Gold and 1 Silver) yet still paid their own way there.

From the Olympics website.

How does a sport become Olympic?

To make it onto the Olympic programme, a sport first has to be recognised: it must be administered by an International Federation which ensures that the sport's activities follow the Olympic Charter. If it is widely practised around the world and meets a number of criteria established by the IOC session, a recognised sport may be added to the Olympic programme on the recommendation of the IOC's Olympic Programme Commission.

Will Trials or any Motorsport ever be added to the Olympics? I don't think it will happen. New sports are rarely added to the games.

There are some sports that are facing potential deletion from the games as a cost cutting for the organising country and limited support from member countries. (Equestrian is one.) The Three Day Event for Equestrian has been made easier to encourage more countries to participate. By increasing the number of countries competing they have managed to remain in the games.

If the sport is not held in enough countries it wont get the support. If Trials was to be included you could expect a change in the way it is held to open up the number of countries taking part. At the Trials des Nations we only have half a dozen countries able to compete with the rest taking part in the International class.

• Like 1

You think Trials are expensive? The horses being used at the Olympics would sell for $200,000 to multi millions. The cost to compete is at another level also....

Thanks for the straight answer PA.

As for getting your sport into the olympics? That establishment is as shady and underhand as the Sepp Blatter club,sorry,FIFA.

E.G.

A general rule of thumb for an olympic event is:

''.....The sport must be practiced by men in at least 75 countries and four continents, and by women in at least 40 countries and three continents.

The sport in question must have a governing International Federation in order for the IOC to officially recognize them as a sport.

The governing body has to then file an application to become a demonstration sport. After that, the sport may file another application to officially become a fully recognised Olympic sport......''

It needs to be a sporting spectacle which generates mass appeal and inspire future 'viewer participation' !?

There are two rival factions of the martial art Taekwondo (think--watered down version of kick boxing) ; World Taekwondo Federation (WTF? yes ,really) and International Taekwondo Federation (ITF).

ITF was the founding Taekwondo martial art and is the most popular martial art to be practised on the planet.

ITF rules state that you are allowed to punch to the face but WTF rules state that you're not allowed to do so. If you're only reliant on kicking any sparring becomes a long range affair with fewer exchanges.

ITF is therefore is the more rounded combat sport.

So consequently a sparring match between two WTF practitioners looks like a version of river-dance Irish dancing but without the music .

So with a bit of back door networking guess which organisation represents Taekwondo at the olympics?...What The F***?

WTF..a bit of kissing involved.

Can you spot the difference?Sorry, but it's 2m 46seconds of your life that you won't get back

ITF

Apparently Olympic sports need to celebrate the use of the human body in competition. How sailing and rowing boats do that I don't know.

One reflection it's worth keeping trials out the Olympics as I don't want olympians all over the Welsh countryside and is would look messy!

They would ban me from riding in my welding boots, mankini and cape.

I dont think we want trials in the olympics

one slow mo of some grass being chewed up and the trials park would be declared an SSSI by Janet Street with no orthodontist Porter and friends.

Some Olympic sports are brilliant, horse dancing is utter Sh**e.

ive been to the pub again by the way......

• Like 1