Tlr200 Reflex For Street Use, Spit And Sputter At High Revs

zippy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lineaway does this sound familiar "(#77 drill bit) .018" would be equivialent to something between a 45-48 Keihin pilot jet size" Found in the Thumpertalk forums, (gotta give credit ya know)

e

Yes, I have an old set of orifice drills from my father. 76 or 77 sounds like what I used!

Alrighty, I removed the "tube things" from the airbox. There was no spit or sputter on the way to work and only 1 on the way home. I thought she was a bit loud on the intake before but now there is a very loud deep throated BBWWWWWAAAAAAAA when the throttle is opened up.

And this bike is being run at WOT for an 8 mile stretch which equals a top speed of 53mph

I do plan on drilling the pilot jet, probably today. With the hopes that I will reach 55mph :P

I had one in my '85 Yam 80 quad

I got one of those quads, no suspension, 4 speed, no clutch. mine is of the '85ish years YFM80 MOTO4. For a laugh watch this video. :popcorn: Biff is shirtless and wearing flip flops. I take the quad back and show how it is done.

try a new coil ht lead and perhaps a plug without a resistor if there is one in the cap you possibly wouldnt know ,, symptems sound more like its lean top end though and removing snorkel could make it worse which could point in right direction ,, cant see the issue been the pilot , have you tried lifting or dropping needle and what is plug colour

good video Zippy and it's good to know that Biff's footwear has a sensible name there - they are "Thongs" here in OZ and I think in New Zealand they are "Jandals"

Kinda like how sticky tape here is called Durex and the most popular beer in my state is called XXXX

Edited by feetupfun

,, cant see the issue been the pilot , have you tried lifting or dropping needle and what is plug colour

You go up on the pilot because it comes lean from the factory. Needle is non adjustable and if he wants to spend money there are several threads on other needles. At this point I would look at a larger cs. sprocket and in the future an adjustable cam chain sprocket which is only 20 dollars if you like a little work.

Edited by lineaway

try a new coil ht lead and perhaps a plug without a resistor if there is one in the cap you possibly wouldnt know ,, symptems sound more like its lean top end though and removing snorkel could make it worse which could point in right direction ,, cant see the issue been the pilot , have you tried lifting or dropping needle and what is plug colour

Oddly enough after removing the snorkel I have ridden it 4 times and only had 1 sputter. Plug was white and chalky originally, drilled out main jet and then plug was a decent brown color but still spit and sputter. Then I removed snorkel. Have not checked plug color after snorkel removal. Still plan on drilling pilot. going with a #78 (.016") because my brother has that size :D

You guys do realize how event attendance would triple if you had a Quad class :rolleyes:

Running over your own flipflop is likely a 5...

Those of us that are members of Team WGASA have ridden over ourselves before, we know how to 5 with style!! :D Not sure how a quad class would work out? not much balance there unless needed to go 2 wheels around something. 6ft splatter with a quad?? interesting.

good video Zippy and it's good to know that Biff's footwear has a sensible name there - they are "Thongs" here in OZ and I think in New Zealand they are "Jandals"

Kinda like how sticky tape here is called Durex and the most popular beer in my state is called XXXX

Thongs here are a type of, let's just say, minimum type of undergarment.

Durex over here has a closer connection to XXX (not the beer) than sticky tape does.

You go up on the pilot because it comes lean from the factory. Needle is non adjustable and if he wants to spend money there are several threads on other needles. At this point I would look at a larger cs. sprocket and in the future an adjustable cam chain sprocket which is only 20 dollars if you like a little work.

Have seen posts where people have shimmed the needle. Worthwhile???

I am trying to avoid spending money because......well I am cheap that's why.

I plan on drilling the pilot jet and returning the snorkel to the airbox. Not really liking the new sound when I open the throttle. I miss the whisper quiet Reflex I had. I also suspect with the snorkel out my fuel economy went way down. can't explain why but I had to put it on reserve 10 miles earlier than I ever did before.

' can't explain why but I had to put it on reserve 10 miles earlier than I ever did before. '

'Cause you actually rode the thing WFO for a while !!!! :):chairfall: ???

Glenn B)

And interesting lunchtime video entertainment !!!

Edited by axulsuv

And our event last weekend was at a ATV park ... The LITTLE kids on 400cc+ 4x4 quads with no helmets and flipflops on kinda scare me ...almost as much as the adults? on the loud baffle less ones (also helmetless and flipflop ...)

But a 50cc rigid class for trials riders would be a ball !

' can't explain why but I had to put it on reserve 10 miles earlier than I ever did before. '

'Cause you actually rode the thing WFO for a while !!!! :):chairfall: ???

Glenn B)

And interesting lunchtime video entertainment !!!

Everytime I ride it now it is pinned WFO!!! problem is WFO = 53mph <_<

We at Team WGASA may not be the best trials riders but we are very entertaining.

And our event last weekend was at a ATV park ... The LITTLE kids on 400cc+ 4x4 quads with no helmets and flipflops on kinda scare me ...almost as much as the adults? on the loud baffle less ones (also helmetless and flipflop ...)

But a 50cc rigid class for trials riders would be a ball !

OH Lord don't get me started on the F*****G Morons that won't wear proper safety gear, act like idiots and let their kids ride on machines that are WAY too big physically and motorwise for the kid. Also without proper safety gear. These are the people that non-riders remember and these are the idiots that are requiring stupid laws about off road riding. :wall:

OK update. rode the Reflex to my brother's house. He has the drill bit (.016"). remove carb from hot bike. that was fun. Drilled out the pilot jet using bit, hands and pliers to hold the bit. Reinstall the following parts: pilot jet, baffle around main jet, oil breather/separator, snorkel in air box. basically returned the bike to stock with larger jets. Air screw is at 1.75 turns out like book states.

I left my brother's house and bike spit and sputter before I even get into 3rd gear. I ride 3 miles hoping it will just "sort out". No such luck. pull over to side of road and remove the snorkel. (I took my own tools with me) Ride the rest of the way home NO sputter, bike revved out pretty cleanly. I swear I even saw the speedo needle point at 56MPH!!!!!! I am going to call it fixed. I guess it will just be a bit "throaty" in sound.

THANK YOU EVERYONE for all your help, and suggestions

cool, now put a bigger counter shaft sprocket on (they cheep) to up your top speed and lower your revs at any speed. freer flowing muffler will proberbly help too....with the added bonus that it will drown out the induction roar!!!!