Hmmmm

dan williams

Dan, in 2012 Beta changed the outer most and inner most fiber plates. They are a little thicker and the cork is a single peice per side. The groves between the pads are very shallow. You have probably seen them by now. I found that a hack saw blade works well on them.

Dan , don't you need to get it dirty before you condemn the clutch action ? And I've heard that Redline synth. gear oil makes beta clutches happy ... In fact I've got to warm up the old fantic and drain the silkolene out and see how the redline works ... May post results later today if I get time to do it ...

Glenn

Heh heh "fan boys". I don't technically "have" the bike yet, couple more payments. I have not condemned the clutch. I will take it apart to see if the tabs are polished at a minimum. One of the characteristics of the poorly finished clutches of the past was inconsistancy from one bike to the next. Your clutch may be excellent from the factory. The next bike over, maybe not.

Dan ; I know it's not a new beta 300 SS ... But after warming up the old fantic and draining the silkolene light gear oil out of her (the best i found for my old bike to date ...) I put some Redline 80w motorcycle gear oil in her box and rode it in the yard for about 30 mins .... Conclusion ? Better / lighter effort to shift gears , easier to get neutral , and instead of the clutch slipping lightly in 5th and noticeably in 6th , (standard 240 issue !) it seemed to hold and be alot more finite in its engagement ??!!... A friend of mine has a ss and all of it's fluids were changed to redline after a couple hours on the bike , I should've rode it last weekend at our year end event , but I was ill and didn't even bring my bike ! I just hung out and ate pizza and got my trophy for the year . But everyone that rode the bike said it had the smoothest clutch they ever used :) Save your time and labor unless yours is grabby and try the redline in your bike , I'm definitely impressed .

Glenn

PSSSS.... As soon as I pay off the new toolbox I got last spring ... I may be getting a 300SS too , I think if I get a modern bike , that is the one for me ...

Edited by axulsuv