What Did You Do To Your Gas Gas Today?

shipdamite

As with the enduro bike, I run my gassers levers loose so I can adjust the position on the fly and so they don't break when I chuck the bike.

I do the same...and have teflon pipe tape under the perches to make them spin a bit easier, while still being tight on the bars.

I have involuntarily tested the Plastic bolts and they did the job :thumbup: though I have got a steel one in the centre position so I may change it but as we know its the side ones that do the most damage.

I replaced the plastic bolts with thin zip ties. The plastic bolts won't help you if you leverage your fender sideways, as I found out to my dismay early this past season.

We are all lazy, unfit, have the same skills in falling off and destroying our bikes. :thumbup:

And loving it! :moon:

Today, I

• Realised that the plastic bit in the chain tensioner was so worn that the 2 securing screws had started to wear, as had the alloy side plate. phoned up the nice people in Derby for that and a new sump bolt.
  • The tensioner arm looks like it has had some beans in the past, so i straightened that out so the chain will run a bit straighter.
  • Having looked at the rest of the chain slider bits, I decided that they were good for a while longer.
  • With the chain off (non o ring renthal) I gave it a good clean and a soak in an oil bath.
  • One thing that I forgot to mention at the start of this topic was the fitting of an hour meter so I can keep an eye on oil changes etc.

Cheers,

Andrew

had a bad day with my bike today.

i been riding it with a worn front wheel bearing for weeks, so i thought id spoil it and buy a new one (it is chrismas after all)

stripped the old one out today, ive been given the wrong bearing. promtly phoned bike shop. closed till thursday. bugger.

gonna have to put the old one back in if he hasnt got one in stock. been looking forward to a ride on thursday or friday.

had a bad day with my bike today.

i been riding it with a worn front wheel bearing for weeks, so i thought id spoil it and buy a new one (it is chrismas after all)

stripped the old one out today, ive been given the wrong bearing. promtly phoned bike shop. closed till thursday. bugger.

gonna have to put the old one back in if he hasnt got one in stock. been looking forward to a ride on thursday or friday.

can you peel back the cover on the bearing and repack with grease as an emergency measure, or is it too far gone?

I was presented some quality shed time today as I have been freed from shopping and other associated christmas trauma.

today I managed to:

• ping off the fork seal covers and clean out the crud from the seals with a thin piece of plastic (like the forksaver device); not too bad in there really.
  • fixed a small rubber bush (shock bush, out of the tin of 'it'll come in handy one day' bits) over the end of the stand and lockwired it in place - to stop the stand clanking on landing and digging into the end of the subframe and my new S3 chain adjuster.
  • made a mudflap out of a fuchs off cleaner bottle (just the right curves) and riveted it on (the cleaner is b.o.g.o.f at m+p at the mo)
  • made a similar mudflap for the rear, although this drops down at approx 45o and extends for 100mm or so; should be enough to stop the worst of the spray from the back.......... the plastic is opaque so looks quite subtle.

I then realised that I have 11 days till my first trial; can't wait.

cheers

Andrew

Well not just today but over the last few weeks, replaced all the needle bearings in the rear shock assembly, not gas gas ones.

Replaced the 3 metal screws that hold the rear mud guard on with plastic number plate nuts and bolts, fitted a head spacer and new O-rings.

Fitted a new rear sprocket changing from 40 to 42 teeth, new brake pads front and back and serviced both callipers.

Cleaned the carb and filter, removed and greased just about every bolt on the bike.

If only this wet weather would improve I may start to ride it and stop messing, looking forward to the boxing day trial so I can get it all dirty and chucked about the place as it should be : )

Chris