Easiest Twin Shock To Ride?

tjp

Hi All

I have a really random and very subjective question for you all. As the title says, what is the easiest twin shock to ride?

The reason I ask this odd question is I have a medical condition that causes me to get excessively fatigued from even light physical activity. However I refuse to give up riding just yet and before I do I'd like to ride a twin shock.

I do like the look of the TY175's and the Fantic 200, would these be physically tiring bikes to ride?

Again sorry for the bizarre question and thanks for any, and I mean any advice

Cheers

T

I think the most important things on a twin shock are working the clutch and brakes over for the best possible action,that's where you'll use up alot of "strength units"

(I have imagined building a TY125 with a electric start DT125 engine just for "kicks")

My 240 Fantic is very easy to ride compared to the heavy flywheel vintage alternatives,Bet the 200 is even more so.

Thumbs Up for not giving in!!!!!!

I always thought my Montesa 242 was a piece of p|55 to ride sections if you left it in 2nd gear and being a lazy b4r5t4rd I really appreciated the seat, the trouble started when I needed to use the clutch as it was solid. You can't easily move those heavy twin shockers around so I changed to a modern water-cooled mono with a nice light hydraulic clutch and lighter 'everything' else.

Regarding your medical condition, do you aim to ride a twin shock only because of the seat? If so I would look to a 200cc modern trials iron and rig up a seat to suit, that's got to be the easiest option?IMHO

Wayne

Edited by ham2

Think the issue could be more about the trial as a whole rather than bike and sections. Some trials I've competed in it has been more difficult between the sections than in them. I think physically you are probably right with the TY175 and Fantic. I would suggest most twinshocks are 'harder' to ride than modern bikes. Perhaps a modern 125 and look out for Dead Easy trials or some of the twinshock clubs who encourage beginners on modern machinery and have a corresponding easy route.

What about a 4 stroke scorpa or a Gas Gas radonair. A few years back I got a rear puncture on my Gas Gas setting out the Cleveland, so I borrowed a 125 4 stroke scorpa to ride round the course, it got me round. Not a lot of grunt in them but would be adequate for easy clubman trials, and the long ride seat was fantastic on the road and moor track runs. Tried the 170 version a year later and it was a much better.

HI Guys

Thank you all for your advice and ideas

"Think the issue could be more about the trial as a whole rather than bike and sections. Some trials I've competed in it has been more difficult between the sections than in them. I think physically you are probably right with the TY175 and Fantic. I would suggest most twinshocks are 'harder' to ride than modern bikes. Perhaps a modern 125 and look out for Dead Easy trials or some of the twinshock clubs who encourage beginners on modern machinery and have a corresponding easy route"

- I totally agree with you that a small cc modern would be the easiest option, however I have my heart set on a twin shock.....especially before I can no longer ride at all. As my old grandad always said you only regret the things you dont do and not the things you do, and a twinshock is something I "want to do"

"I always thought my Montesa 242 was a piece of p|55 to ride sections if you left it in 2nd gear and being a lazy b4r5t4rd I really appreciated the seat, the trouble started when I needed to use the clutch as it was solid. You can't easily move those heavy twin shockers around so I changed to a modern water-cooled mono with a nice light hydraulic clutch and lighter 'everything' else.

Regarding your medical condition, do you aim to ride a twin shock only because of the seat? If so I would look to a 200cc modern trials iron and rig up a seat to suit, that's got to be the easiest option?IMHO

Wayne"

- Good info, cheers Wayne, the seat is a bonus but I want to ride a twinshock from a nostalgia point of view and thought the twin shock events/sections looked fairly tame and therefore less tiring? would I be wrong? (obviously I mean the easy route)

"Are you hoping to compete? Trail ride or just get around. Your physical size?"

- I am hoping to compete..... for my sins I'm a very competitive person. I'm a lightweight shortarse - 5ft 4" and 63kg

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the genuine input

T

A modern 125 or full size 80 might work. If you are dead set on twin shock, I ride a cota 200 that is easy to cope with. Starts easy, light power and handles well. Spares a a little trouble. It is a sweet bike that works much better than a ty175.

alt, and rider level have a bearing on twin shock, pre 1982? id say, fantic, Montesa 348, if you like to work the engine, the TY 175 is sweet.

not that easy to ride in its stock trim, but one of my favs, modified is the Kawasaki KT 250, hard to beat it if its set up right.

post 82 to say 87? TLR 250 Honda would be my first choice, Fantic second, and the SWM jumbo.

mind you. this is for expert level, and 5400 feet and up, with a 200 plus pound rider.

not sure why you think twin shockers are heavy pigs, my KT weighs in at 168 lbs, only a few pounds more then my Beta evo,

you have to have the basics down pat, and if you train yourself to ride no stop as much as you can, then the clutch isnt an issue, all my twin shockers have one finger clutches, iv had to work them to make then that way,

lighten flywheels, and change timing a bit, perks em up a bit, i had a 242 Cota, it was ok, but a turd by the standard of the other bikes available of the day,

in 1985 you could get a Fantic Pro, that was leaps and bounds better then that cota, then if you dare,, the SWM Jumbo, it was a handful, lots of power when you wanted it, hard to tune at high alt,

the Gagiva and other Gagiva engined bikes were available by 85, moto merlin ect..not many over here, but in the UK and Europe, i see then available all the time.

i ride both classic {vintage} and modern bikes, i do so for the challenge, i love watching someone struggle with a modern bike on a section, and then i clean it like a boss on old steel.

ride a few bikes before you shell out the money for a new steed, make sure you can get common parts, like cables, ect, and that you can and are welling to work on it..they do break now and then, if you ride them hard like they should be.

Edited by chuckindenver

..........not sure why you think twin shockers are heavy pigs, my KT weighs in at 168 lbs, only a few pounds more then my Beta evo,......

I owned two bikes at the same time:

Me and my brother rode together; The Montesa Cota 242 twin shock, air cooled (aluminium swing arm?) and '94 water-cooled mono Gas Gas jt? 250, so I could back to back test every section. I couldn't get the Mont off the ground and I couldn't keep the Gasser on the ground :huh:

After a days riding, trying to put the Mont onto the back of a pick-up without a ramp :dunce: was a bugger compared to the Gasser.

I can only find a spec weight of about 207lbs for the KT and an Evo weight claim of 150lbs. Can you tell us how you got the weight down on the Kwaka? Trick ali parts?

http://kawasakikt.tripod.com/mcskt3.JPG

Cheers,

Wayne

Edited by ham2