Places To Mount A Gopro?

sherco34

Gawd that pumpkin is disturbing......

The poor bugger who painted that thing must have Lost a serious bet with a gangster

You can't even tell the gender of the human

And I'm very happy about that!

LOL it's funny the directions a thread takes

Back to the Gopro, I'm going to get a new one but I want to experiment with mounting locations, I wonder what it would look like with the camera on the fork leg or on your left wrist for example, I have seen it over the shoulder mounted on a backpack and that footy looked good too

Since these new cameras have come around there is a lot of footy around but it would be nice to see some creative stuff

I was thinking about one of those game cameras and set it up in a tree or rock during a trial to take automatic shots when a bike is hitting something

• Like 1

LOL it's funny the directions a thread takes

Back to the Gopro, I'm going to get a new one but I want to experiment with mounting locations, I wonder what it would look like with the camera on the fork leg...

Have a look at this 2013 BMW R1200GS launch video 2013 Trailer One World. One R 1200 GS

You can see that they have made a series of short - under 30 seconds - videos from different camera positions around the bike, such as rearward facing at footpeg height looking at the rear tyre. Something that is difficult to do with a full-size camera.

Having something that we, the viewer, recognises in the foreground such as the handlebars or the looking down on the front mudguard, adds perspective that make a POV (point of view) camera mount more engaging.

When I get to borrow my son's Gopro, I think I might look to footpeg or boot mount looking at rear the tyre hit as it hits a log or a rock, or even getting some air.

Looking at the tyre would show who's riding non-stop. (Oops. Lets not go there). Man-vs-Wild often uses a hand held that he holds up facing back down his arm at himself. You could try a left wrist attachment and see what facial expressions you use to get a clean. Or mount one facing rearward on the mudguard and then have a friend follow you at practice.

This may not be the best way to get a 'feel for a trial', or a tasty 'pumpkin', for that matter, but it makes for some good coverage of how the bike moves cleanly over an obstacle. And isn't that what we are all about.

Edited by ross brown
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Too many vids exist with the shot too low. Angle is everything for the best vids even if the content is naff.

Can you bike mount it or is that to shaky? I'm thinking fork leg, exhaust or somewhere where you don't get to much movement.

I think if you put a camera on the lower fork leg it will be too bumpy, I think mounted on the lower triple clamp showing the wheel movement

Might be easy to mount off the bottom of the bar maybe

I still think on the left hand would be cool, could see the clutch action

Cool thing about the hand mount is that you can point the camera where you want to video another rider or the section and then just ride

I changed my mind about the go pro, I like the Looxcie HD better, it streams right to a smartphone

I could put it on you and turn it on and off with my phone, and stream it directly to Facebook while we ride

Or I could stream my video directly to your phone while you sit on your bike somewhere else

Cool huh

http://www.looxcie.com/products-page/cameras/looxcie-hd-explore/

• Like 1

There was a test of cameras on the Gadget show the other day. The Go Pro whupped the other two even when dropped from the edge of space into a field. One of the others on test was loads of money but rubbish image quality.

Go Pro is the way to go if you want to film your crash!

• Like 2

I think I've tried mine in most places and nearly always end up back to helmet mount, although it is the worst perspective and everything looks flat, it is the only option that "see's what you see", tried it on bike (swingarm fork legs etc) which is great for short clips but the camera is to exposed to do a full trial (maybe ok if your good enough but my s/arm a forks a fairly well battered!!). The chest mount is a better perspectve than the helmet mount but becomes uncomortable very quickly as it need to be on tight.