Sprockets

bob

Hi everyone.

My bike is in need of a new chain. The sprockets are OK, but at my last trial the bike seemed a little too slow, and everyone was passing me between sections, despite going flat out.

What size sprockets are you Beta riders running?

My bike is an 03 200cc, I thought that I might try a few teeth less on the rear sprocket. But I would like to know if it is the front sprocket which has been down sized by the previous owner or the rear sprocket up sized before I go out and buy the wrong sprockets.

Thanks

Bob

I will get back with my current sizes soon.

Thanks,

Mine is currently on 10 : 42 So the front sprocket has been down sized.

I will probably go up a tooth then on the front sprocket, which would be like going down four on the back. I was just unsure of what clearance there should be on the front.

I should be able to keep up between sections then ;)

Just a reminder this is trials, if your riding a 200 and everyone is passing you that is quite expected. If you want to go fast get a 270 and gear it otherwise just worry about your score and have fun. This sport is actually you against yourself. I`m a diehard Beta rider And fast ,but that does not lower my score.

I understand what this will do to my bike.

There was an easy trial in our wood last night, and out of the seven sections I only rode one of them in first, and I could have ridden it in second.

I first noticed it when practicing, in first I am practically flat out in about a metre, but second is sometimes slightly too high, plus for BIG hill climbs even third seems too low.

I definately want to go up a little, probably going bact to standard sprocket sizes would be best.

bob

When youre changing your chain, its always a good idea the change the sprockets at the same time. I have never even used the first gear in my beta, it is way too short and not good for anything. I dont think that the second gear is too big for you, just need to use the clutch more and you will have better traction.

I find second ok to use, I just thought that if I up geared it slightly then it would make more gears useable in sections, second is fine for most stuff, but just not quite right, slightly too high for twisty stuff which as you say can get by by using the clutch which I do, but when it comes to big steps then it is too low, and I don't like overrevving. I think that I will try the origonal gearing, I spoke to afew people at my last trial and they agreed that I should put it back to origonal sprocket sizes.

As for new sprockets and chain, the chain need replacing soon, but the bike had new sprockets on at christmas when I bought it, which is probably when the size was reduced on the front sprocket. The sprockets are in next to new condition, and so I have been told that just replace the chain and front sprocket. Also if you are riding in really muddy conditions then shouldn't your sprockets last about twice as long as your chain. If you are riding in dryer conditions where your chain gets less wear then they should last about the same amount of time.

Bob

down here in the wet mud i never use 1 st on my beta. 2nd sometimes last trial was slightly damp so third every section and 4th for hills and possibly tight section if really need the grip. gasser totally different tend to ride a gear lower on it.

I've recently changed my front to a 12 tooth (270 '05 model). Reason being 1st was virtually unusable. I rode a trial yesterday and did 8 of the 10 sections in 1st, I also find it makes 2nd more of a "whole section" gear, rather than having to change to 3rd. It's early days, as I've only ridden the bike twice with these gears, but I'm also wanting to get used to it for the Scott later in the year....

Mine is only a 200, I can't see why the previous owner has gone down to 10 teeth on the front, He must have been 'wacked out', anyway, I can use first in some sections which are really tangly, but it is otherwise useless, I don't see the point in having a useless gear so why not make them all useable and give me some extra speed at tyhe same time, good to see somebody agrees.

Bob