2012 Pro Racing Air Box , Water !

slickgolf_0

My air box seems to let a fair amount of water in.

Nothing crazy in regard to deep water work , just seems to pick it up with pretty general stuff.

I can tell when its getting bad by the feel of the bike , when I check , sure enough a puddle of dirty water.

Anyone else got this going on , any tips to prevent would be appreciated ?

Thanks

I think there's a divide in the Pro owners club, you're either a ;seal up the drain flap, guy or a leave it be, kinda guy. :icon_salut: Search around for Gas Gas Scottish Six Day Trial preparation for the definitive answer from the importer.

Water can get in the top flap depending on the seal on it. I tend to use Bath Sealant around the flap as it stop anything coming in that way. Many tape around it. Could be worth trying. There usually is a little bit in the bottom of the Airbox but it tends to just be in the corner.

As above - check the box for leaks. In addition, Using a splash plate between the front frame tubes can help prevent water coming off the front wheel from getting into the airbox intake.

I like that idea, Laser! :thumbup: But I guess I'm being a Goober here..... Do you mean above the radiator???

I've kind of accepted a small amount of water is going to get into my 2010's airbox. I've taken it apart, and put sealer in it, like Huski described above. I don't think the flap at the bottom of my bike's airbox is very efficient at letting water out. So I drilled a couple of small (3/16" diameter, or approximately 3.5 mm) holes in the corners of the airbox. So far, these have been enough to let the majority of the water out that makes it'w way inside there.....

Jimmie

I think that was a type-0... below the radiator...

they make a carbon fiber looking guard, keeps the water from flying up over/beside the cylinder and almost directly into Airbox fresh air opening. I use a mudflap on my fender. we dont have that many rainy trials anymore, drought out here in the "PLAINS" you know. I think you can also make a deflector at the opening, it is right at the front of the seat, where tank meets, to help prevent this. Main thing is to make the flap at the bottom to close or be pretty small hole for draining, so that when you get that deep into the water, water cant just rush in... Else it is going to flood the airbox, and then the engine.

It needs a better design, I guess, older bikes I had used something like we have in boats for the drain plug, that water can go one way... they all have drawbacks though, when you aren't moving, they seep water back into the boat as well. Again most any design is a "happy medium" between dry and dirty and wet and muddy.

I think that was a type-0... below the radiator...

they make a carbon fiber looking guard, keeps the water from flying up over/beside the cylinder and almost directly into Airbox fresh air opening. I use a mudflap on my fender. we dont have that many rainy trials anymore, drought out here in the "PLAINS" you know. I think you can also make a deflector at the opening, it is right at the front of the seat, where tank meets, to help prevent this. Main thing is to make the flap at the bottom to close or be pretty small hole for draining, so that when you get that deep into the water, water cant just rush in... Else it is going to flood the airbox, and then the engine.

It needs a better design, I guess, older bikes I had used something like we have in boats for the drain plug, that water can go one way... they all have drawbacks though, when you aren't moving, they seep water back into the boat as well. Again most any design is a "happy medium" between dry and dirty and wet and muddy.

Like this.

Jonpost-2532-0-66085500-1359481973_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah Lazer that is it. I mentioned it, I might have confused some, at the "deflector at the opening." FWIW! Caution, You DO NOT want to restrict the air. IMHO, you dont want the airbox sucking in air from anywhere else except under the tank! I think I have turned the little flap on the bottom over each time I take the airbox off. when I know it is going to be a wet day, on one bike I added another layer of "plastic milk-jug plastic flap" 3-4ths the width of the original flap, helping to keep the flap closed, I am glad as hell I did, I rode into a creek, that went up to the tank for just a second (hole) and I didnt kill the bike, like another did, in Tishomingo. Keep that bottom hole almost sealed... if you hit top of cylinder high water, water rushes into that airbox like a ship with the hole in the bottom, plus the carb opeing is only just above your cases.

Here's the waterlines of your aribox opening, roughly...

post-105-0-78464900-1359570185_thumb.jpg