Considering A Trials Bike

felixdamouse

hi,

just signed up as im looking for a trials bike. I am a motocross racer and have just broken my back just over a week ago so mx is out of the window for atleast this season. so i am looking to buy a trials bike to gain fitness and build muscle (also to improve my balance etc) something around £1500 max. I never have had a trials bike so am totally new to it. I have a couple of questions.

A. what bike to buy (prob a 250) but what make? (i know this will bring up a wide range of answers but i want to see what the opinions are.

b, are some better made than others?

c, what to watch for when buying a second hand trials bike (prob same as an mx bike)

and also i said 250 as i dont want a 125 as i think id get bored of it so want something to keep me going, does a 250 sound about right. ps ideally id want a 4 stroke as i run 4 stroke mx bikes.

oh and what kind of money can you pick up a montesa 4rt repsol for?

thanks

yeah thats me mate, howd u know ian and lola? ideally wanting a 250 4st mainly so i dont have to carry 2 types of fuel or go buy pre mix. yeah i want a trials bike to help build the muscle up again after i back on my feet prob 3 months time.

i had thought about a beta but not sure whats the pros and cons of each make

have a look at scorpa 125 4t , should be fairly light for a 4t ,just you dont want to be heaving a heavy bike about as you are ,i think theres one on fleabay

or even a Scorpa 250 4t Yamaha engine ,will last until you die or end of world whichever comes first.

''....I've never had a trials bike...'' and you've got a broken back :huh: :huh:?

These things flip easier and quicker than a MX bike and then you're into a world of step-offs and bale-outs, not vertabrae friendly.

It has to be a 125 then, 2-stroke or four it's your choice. IMHO

I don't think you take any where near the hits on a trials bike that you take on an MX bike

You don't case it on a double, you don't tumble from a 50kph endo, you don't blitz the whoops

They are pretty easy on the body until you start to go big but that's a few years practice

As far as weight, a modern trials bike is not much over 150 - 160 lbs so its not much of a factor either

In MX if you don't have a 4 stroke you can't really compete, but in trials it's not going to make you a better rider

The challenge of trials is control and balance long before it becomes how to tackle large obstacles

Look around for a Rev3 or an Evo, great fun and reliable too

yeah thats me mate, howd u know ian and lola? ideally wanting a 250 4st mainly so i dont have to carry 2 types of fuel or go buy pre mix. yeah i want a trials bike to help build the muscle up again after i back on my feet prob 3 months time.

i had thought about a beta but not sure whats the pros and cons of each make

from ktm ben's 'dirty weekends' ;-]

try out a few bikes....... I tried a beta but couldn't get on with a left kick start............

I am 4t enduro bike through and through but get on well with the gasser - first 2t in 25 years!