Ty250A Footrest Kit

scot taco

They do help,and yes are in a better position.The only problem with them is that they are too weak,mine kept on bending until I welded a brace at 90 degrees down their front edge.This stopped the bending,but you obviously lose the plated finish and will need to paint them.

• Like 1

Depending on how long your legs are, lower pegs mean you may get hit in the bum more often by the rear frame loop when unweighting on obstacles. I lowered the pegs on one of my TY250s a little bit more than the SM kit pegs and while the bike was easier to balance, it made it a bit more restrictive to move about on the bike (I am 174cm - 5' 10")

The kit is ok taking into account jon V8 comments but a better option is to just weld a plate and footrest brackets to the frame then you can choose which pegs to fit either cheep steel ones as per the SM kit or some nice titanium raptors if youre feeling flush. Definately lowering and moving the pegs is a great improvement i just dont get why they all had them so high at the time? Strange :popcorn:

The kit is ok taking into account jon V8 comments but a better option is to just weld a plate and footrest brackets to the frame then you can choose which pegs to fit either cheep steel ones as per the SM kit or some nice titanium raptors if youre feeling flush. Definately lowering and moving the pegs is a great improvement i just dont get why they all had them so high at the time? Strange :popcorn:

It was to avoid scraping one's boot edge on things, which (once upon a time) used to earn the rider a point. I'm used to the standard peg position on all my 1970s bikes and after trying out lower pegs on one of my TY250s, do not want to lower the pegs on any of them.

One of the best improvements for the TY. As has been said the bracket is a little weak and will bend in over time. Easy to straighten. Things to note: Is your frame equipped with the lower rail studs? If it was a CAT model for the US it will be and fitting will be no problem. True 74 Ty's only had an open rail and you will need to either fill and drill + tap or go for the easy option of a length of threaded rod and use a self locker on each end. All later frames had the lower rail studs. You will need to check the length of your swinging arm bolt (they come in 3 sizes) if it was a CAT model and has those lower studs it will be long enough.

Also you have to remove the old hangers with any of the footrest options. You might want to read my blog article on 7/28/2008 on how the operation works with all the pictures.

Tony

The SM kits I have seen do not require removal of the original mounts

You sure you are fitting them the right way round? Just asking as if you fit the left on the right etc you dont have to remove the lugs but the rests are then too far forward. Thats from memory on a bike i had in a while back. I just cut em off and fit a new bracket and modern rests.

Thanks to everyone for all the input.My bike does not have studs on the lower rail,just an open tube.I guess I will probably have to find a longer swingarm bolt.How thick are the brackets? Where would the best place be to souce the correct length swingarm bolt?

I,m six feet tall and have developed a troublesome back so my thinking is that this mod would also help that a little bit.

Thanks again,Scott

I do agree that it change the way the bike handle and I like the lower and back mod. The first setup I made was not in the right position for me so I made a second one that is at the right position http://s1065.beta.ph...907578292812924

I cut the lug, drilled and taped where the lug was, on an A model I decided to weld a threaded '' washer '' and voila home made bracket that is cheap enough to trow away if it's not to your liking.

When painted it does look ok

Guy