Is It Only Trials

fatbastard

Pretty new to they sport only last 2 to 3 years but wondered is it only trials that just about anyone will let you try there bike , I can't even say its only club members we know we've been at Nationals and never even met folk before and I've asked lads advice on bikes on behalf of my son next min. there thrusting the bike on him to have a shot.

Someone with a brand new machine just say nice bike and there offering you a go (obvious they don't know how bad I am) , bike trouble lads are pulling spare bikes out of there van for you to use.

So question is is Motocross and Enduro the same ?

Motocross is a different world, so is enduro but not to the extent of MX. I found MX was more of a fashion show most of the time, if you didn't have the latest bike with all the shiney bits, the latest kit and the newest alpinestars you wasn't welcome, and if you did you were the competition and nothing more. Very unwelcoming and competitive even at practice days when it was unnecessary. Trials is probably the best Motorsport scene I've ever been involved in, even competitors are friendly and helpful - it's great and its what keeps me interested. Now I'd never bother with MX again, people forget its supposed to be fun and take it far too serious.

Disclaimer:- this is my opinion from my experiance, it may be total crap but there you go. Lol.

Edited by craigh88
  • Like 1

I came from Enduro which was reasonably friendly, but trials has been better still.

We all know that we can be beaten by an older guy, wearing a flat cap and tweeds, riding a pre-65. Sort of brings you down to earth.

Also, there's "relatively" little damage that you can do quickly lending out a trials bike. When I say "relatively" i'm comparing it to a 60mph crash on a KTM300 in the woods!!

Dom

Because its that but safer people are happy to let you taste the better machine. It's what keeps the sport alive.

I too have ridden several bike sports and trials is just an excellent friendly world of fun. All the classes are great but I'm a biffer in sportsman as that's hard enough!

Trials is like golf.

You're playing against the course.

Of course there's the old saying - "is my mate in the bunker or is the b@$t@rd on the green"

I appreciate how skilled some folk are and could sit and watch them all day with a hint of jealousy but no hard feelings.

• Like 1

Same here housape. I watch and think how the hell did they do that! The good guys don't even seem to have to try. Even worse when they are 70 and wearing a cap and willies along with smoking a pipe and chatting as they clean the section. REEEspekt!

i once bottled out of climbing what i would call a cliff after 2 mates rode up it to be schooled by an 82yr old (not kidding) who told me follow me do what i do and he flew up it i had to do it after that i dont know his name but frodsham club members will probably know who he is legend

I was at an event and there was a nice young lad about 13 yrs old riding a 125cc in the same class as me. I watched him basically walk that 125cc up a rather steep tall hill. I thought "well, I should be able to get up there, I am 3 times older and I have a 270cc!" As it turns out I could make it 7/8 of the way up the hill......and all the way back down. :rotfl:

lesson learned, That kid is an excellent rider, and a pleasure to talk with also. so :thumbup: to the young man.

Good luck to him and may he go far in the sport.

(it takes a special type of person to be able to accept being beaten by a youngster and be able to congratulate them and actually mean it)

• Like 2

Fair play zippy. I too am of an age where you think "I wish I was a little bit younger". I have all these wild ideas that I'd somehow be better than I actually was back then but in reality I'd be the same. There is a saying "the older I get the better/faster I was". How true is this.

I do like getting thrashed by the "youth" though as it makes me smile. Good on em I say. Do it while you can.

Edited by pindie
  • Like 1

if you didn't have the latest bike with all the shiney bits, the latest kit and the newest alpinestars you wasn't welcome,

A few years ago there was an interview with a twinshock MX rider whose name I forget (he rides and aircooled TS 4T Husky called Tigger). He said in the interview that he could never afford the latest tackle in modern MX and was made to feel very unwelcome. Funny thing was he was riding at a level just under the British championship at the time on bikes 2-3 years old. He changed to twinshocks and is having a ball.

Enduros. Rode it for 15 years. Had a ball. Great people and very friendly. But you do get the occasional prat who thinks he's better than everybody else.