Beta Evo 2T Pops Out Of 2Nd Gear

thesolidman1

Hi, Have a 2011 Evo 2T that pops out of 2nd gear. It can be downright dangerous, and has caused me injury. The brochure info for the 2012 models states "Revised gearbox cam with a different thickness, for even smoother gear engagement." The brochure info for the 2013 models states "Shift drum: New shift drum with a modified shape to allow smooth action of the gearbox, greater fluidity and precise riding." So I'm wondering if the shift drum was updated to help with this problem. But along with that, I have talked to riders with both 2012 and 2013 that have had their bikes pop out of 2nd gear as well. So I'm just trying to find out any information on this subject, others experiences with this, and perhaps if someone has a fix.

little Beta experience here, but for one thin I may suggest having had similar on others, I never make a 1-2 shift in mid section if I can avoid it on the fly.

And if I do, I ususally look for a kick down to find neutral while rolling then the Positive enguagement click up to second, as compared to a simple 1-2 transition through neutral, and all that said, even if I do a rolling 1-N-2 shift, I want the feel of the positive secondary click through the lever, or else?

Long story made short, the 1-N-2 shift process is complex and does not allways happen well depending upon loads and such.

Edited by copemech

little Beta experience here, but for one thin I may suggest having had similar on others, I never make a 1-2 shift in mid section if I can avoid it on the fly.

And if I do, I ususally look for a kick down to find neutral while rolling then the Positive enguagement click up to second, as compared to a simple 1-2 transition through neutral, and all that said, even if I do a rolling 1-N-2 shift, I want the feel of the positive secondary click through the lever, or else?

Long story made short, the 1-N-2 shift process is complex and does not allways happen well depending upon loads and such.

Thats not the same as jumping out of gear, more bad selection.

Edited by b40rt

I think the new shift drum is to make the bike easier to shift

maybe you whacked your shifter and bent a shift fork at some point

Not much you can do from the outside other than make sure your shifter isn't hitting your clutch cover, maybe it's not going all the way into gear

Curiously I had my first crash on my 2013 yesterday. Snicked it up into second, got halfway up a hill and it popped into neutral. Fortunately the rock at the bottom of the hill broke my fall. Got to test my new helmet as well. Popped out a few more times during the day with less dramatic results. Something to be wary of methinks.

It's not normal for a transmission to pop out of gear, the dogs are back cut (think ramp) so the more power that is fed to it the more it holds into gear, it actually pulls it into gear

The gears are case hardened so the dog won't really wear

So I would assume in both cases that it didn't really pop out, it was probably never really in all the way

Usually it will work but pop out when you chop the throttle

Again, bent shift fork or maybe even worn bushing in the fork, do they have a brass bushing?

Curiously I had my first crash on my 2013 yesterday. Snicked it up into second, got halfway up a hill and it popped into neutral. Fortunately the rock at the bottom of the hill broke my fall. Got to test my new helmet as well. Popped out a few more times during the day with less dramatic results. Something to be wary of methinks.

Oh my goodness! Bless your heart, you did exactly what I told you not to do, did'nt you?

Hope you did not damage your as---embly! :blush:

iv had this issue, if i start off in second...so..from neutural into second, as soon as you put a load, then back off, it jumps out..

if you start in first, then second, it stays in gear.

i had this issue only a few times on my 09 290 EVO...

once i got in the habbit of not starting out in second...it wasnt an issue..

a few other Evo owners had the same issue..

It sounds to me like its not going into gear fully before winding on the juice.

On my Gasser (which the gear box exploded) there was a tension spring which could be adjusted. Could it be something like this?

It could just be newness and everything is a tad tight. It may improve with use. I'd try holding the lever up into second for a millisecond longer to see if that helps. If it does it will improve with wear. Better to have a tight box that loosens off to perfection than a loose box that is sloppy as hell in a year or two.

Is it running decent and fresh oil in the box?