Throttle Jamming Open After A Fall

brenin

Hi All,

Id like to start with a big thank you to everyone who helped me with my fan not working issue, it was the switch in the radiator :-)

My 05 GG 125 TXT PRO is ridden by my teenage daughter. At the moment, she is becoming more ambitious and taking the odd fall. If she falls to the right, onto softish ground, the grey Renthal grip which is on a Domino throttle assembly get pushed up the handlebars from its normal position. This then has the effect of pushing the end of the grip into intimate contact with the end of the handlebar. So the throttle effectively loses it ability to spring closed with the friction between the inside end of the bar grip and the bar end.

If im some distance away from such a fall, she will start the bike and end up with a run away throttle as it has to be physically closed. I have been able to pull the throttle assembly back down the bars, to resolve it when we are out riding. However on a road bike this wouldnt happen. The bar end weight stops the grip from being closed at the end, and the grip solely covers the throttle tube. Also my enduro bike used 'barkbusters' which protected the levers, and by being mounted in the bar end neccessitated a grip with an open end.

Is my bike set up wrong? What can I do/what do you do to avoid such an occurence? My Beta 250 is the same, but im less daring than my daughter so i seldom fall off.

Any advice would be appreciated

regards

Ian

Bar end caps are great things to have, I have em and would put them on any bike

Also "Mechanical Sympathy" is a crucial tool for any rider to have, your daughter is learning this and it's a good thing

She see's the cause, then the effect, then the resolution when you do the bar ends, great schooling, enjoy

Many trials riders install bar ends that prevent the throttle from getting jammed like that. I ran them for several years and have recently changed to "bark busters" and I like them.

Bark busters protect my hands when I misjudge a tree along the trail, they prevent the bars from driving so deep into the ground (jamming the throttle tube) when I fall, and they also protect my levers from breakage.

All good things.

Keep your feet up and the rubber side down.

Lots of different ways to sort this problem, bar ends are good but you have to cut the grips.

I found the best way was to use a throttle tube that has a solid end, then fit the throttle so that there is a slight amount of play between the tube and the end of the bar, that way when she falls off the solid end stops the throttle being pushed up the bar... hope that makes sense?

http://www.trialendurodirect.com/products/ALUMINIUM_THROTTLE_BARREL_839.html

Lots of different ways to sort this problem, bar ends are good but you have to cut the grips.

I found the best way was to use a throttle tube that has a solid end, then fit the throttle so that there is a slight amount of play between the tube and the end of the bar, that way when she falls off the solid end stops the throttle being pushed up the bar... hope that makes sense?

http://www.trialendu...BARREL_839.html

I have one off these and can vouch for it's effectiveness. Bike has had the throttle buried many times in the last two years, been through 3 grips on that side but has never stuck. Perfect.

Andrew

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

im going to order and fit some bar ends!

cheers

Ian

Bar end on throttle side,can be a tricky beast if you don't do it carefully though. some throttle tubes, you need to go ahead and cut the end off, that end that seems to wrap around the end of the bar, trust me. This is so you can move the throttle assembly in a little on the bars, so you dont have 2 issues, 1 being grip rubs on bar end, 2 is tube rubs on bar end... IF you fall on that bar end, it can and HAS been known to smash itself up against the throttle TUBE, and even when grip is cut right, it is now jammed against the bar end, which causes the tube to hold the throttle from returning to idle, like it should. look at it and make sure. I keep my throttle bolts too tight probably, but throttle cable is routed UNDER the front brake lever to protect it...

I try to not fall, this weekend I flipped over handlebars, but I didnt even get to see if bike fell, the bike never died and the guys picked it up before I got up to see where and how it landed... I was "self assuring" myself that I wasn't hurt (laying on my back 4 ft away)... LOL.

I dont do bar ends, but I use a throttle tube with the bearing on it. there is a bearing model throttle assembly I have been told, with bar end you can get. bearing makes the throttle REALLY easy to twist, takes a couple minutes to get used to how easy to twist it is, some people hate it, I love it.

You have to cut down the handlebar on that side, so it stays with the bike, unless you move/swap everything to next bike...

Edited by sting32

You have to cut down the handlebar on that side, so it stays with the bike, unless you move/swap everything to next bike...

Nope, just cut the clutch side down the same amount and sell the bike with awesome, trick "narrow" bars for those tight events.

Bar end on throttle side,can be a tricky beast if you don't do it carefully though. some throttle tubes, you need to go ahead and cut the end off, that end that seems to wrap around the end of the bar, trust me. This is so you can move the throttle assembly in a little on the bars, so you dont have 2 issues, 1 being grip rubs on bar end, 2 is tube rubs on bar end... IF you fall on that bar end, it can and HAS been known to smash itself up against the throttle TUBE, and even when grip is cut right, it is now jammed against the bar end, which causes the tube to hold the throttle from returning to idle, like it should. look at it and make sure. I keep my throttle bolts too tight probably, but throttle cable is routed UNDER the front brake lever to protect it...

I try to not fall, this weekend I flipped over handlebars, but I didnt even get to see if bike fell, the bike never died and the guys picked it up before I got up to see where and how it landed... I was "self assuring" myself that I wasn't hurt (laying on my back 4 ft away)... LOL.

I dont do bar ends, but I use a throttle tube with the bearing on it. there is a bearing model throttle assembly I have been told, with bar end you can get. bearing makes the throttle REALLY easy to twist, takes a couple minutes to get used to how easy to twist it is, some people hate it, I love it.

Mitch,

I've used the bar-end bearing throttle for years now and think it's great. Always smooth and dirt is kept out, unlike the standard bar ends.

Jon

ps. I heard about your "shunt" when the riders showed up in my section just after. Glad to hear you came out o.k.

Hmm, the GG bars are 12mm I/D and im struggling to find something to fit. Most fitments seem to be for 14-17mm I/D.

I didnt really want to change the bars, so I may have to investigate the sealed end throttle tube

does anyone know where I may get 12mm I/D bar ends?

thanks

Ian