Dead Man Switch? What Next Training Wheels.

sideup

Being old enough to remember the arguments about the compulsory use of helmets I was sceptical about these things but bought two for us.......after 18 months of using them I have to say they get my vote, loads less damage to crashing bikes as well as bodies what I can't understand is why all manufacturers aren't fitting as standard equipment and of course why they are so expensive......got to get a bit of rhetoric into my posts!

• Like 1

Also, being magnetic, the damn things wander. Here's mine stuck to the side of the kitchen drawer, which is not much help when you've driven nearly an hour to a trial to find that it is not on the bike.

photo-2.jpg

Just for those cases make sure you have a magnet in your tool box and some duct/electrical (whatever the popular European type of ) tape. and just tape the magnet on and viola!!! problem solved :stoned:

• Like 1

he fashioned a kill switch with a set of points and non-conductive something or other attached with a wrist strap. Worked every time.

The very first bike I ever bought (paid for with money from throwing a newspaper route in 1969) had a kill switch exactly as you described. It was used in hillclimb competitions by the previous owner. Most folks agreed that when the rider & bike became separated, it was handy if the motor was at least not running......

Jimmie

Added in EDIT:

Sideup, are you gonna ride the Trial next weekend at Goldendale? I'm gonna try to do a Saturday ride there....

Edited by mr neutron

A riderless out of control bike is a lower-probability-but-higer-consequence event at a WTC event than at clubman level, what with the close proximity of a group of spectators pushing to the edge of the Section. So at this level the dead man switch keeps an event safe. For we Clubbies, it probably is more of an aid to keep our bike safe by avoiding a handlebar end and throttle jammed open in the dirt while we pick ourselves up.

On a less serious note, I bought myself a lanyard switch a few months back....

I found that with it on the handlebar you CAN scratch your forehead (the elastic lanyard stretches quite a way while staying attached) but that you CAN'T scratch your back (it only stretches so far before letting go). Nothing like belting along in 4th gear between sections with one hand on the bars, the other behind your back, and suddenly the engine dies. Also, being magnetic, the damn things wander. Here's mine stuck to the side of the kitchen drawer, which is not much help when you've driven nearly an hour to a trial to find that it is not on the bike.

photo-2.jpg

Now, that is funny!

Sideup, are you gonna ride the Trial next weekend at Goldendale? I'm gonna try to do a Saturday ride there....

Speaking of Goldendale: as I write this the boys are heading out to ride in Goldendale.....made it last year, but can't this year.

How does a dead man operate the switch in the first place :blush: in fact why would the FIM even let a dead man start the event.

Dead men have a real hard time adhering to the new "constant motion" rule, for one thing.

or the mittens tied together with strings so we wouldn't lose our mittens on the way to school.

That's why I got the lanyard, I kept losing my darn bike. But not anymore.

Wait, after reading through this thread it seems like you guys are implying that the lanyard PULLS AWAY from the bike at some point(?)....but then I couldn't find my bike.

Edited by funtrials

So lanyard type "Dead man switch" "kill switch": maybe a good idea for all levels of competition............... but the way I ride I would rather have it attached to my chest. I use my hands to make dabs on trees too often.

There is a type of lanyard that attaches to the waist, so you can hug trees...

In Belgium, at national events the lanyard kill switch and the rear sprocket guard are compulsory.

Edited by guys

There is a type of lanyard that attaches to the waist, so you can hug trees...

In Belgium, at national events the lanyard kill switch and the rear sprocket guard are compulsory.

OOH I do love me some trees!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

done that too...took one of those magnets supplied with toytown speedo kit and keep it inside my helmet ( steel stud for strap)......strangely enough since I did this I havn't forgotten