Best Modern Trials Bike For An Old Person!

hencam

Hi all,

looking for some serious help here please. my father has been riding trials bikes for a few years(50 odd to be precise) mostly unit Bsa and Bultacos 199A etc. in a bid to have an easier day, less maintenance, lighter bike he would like to move to something newer.

not bothered what make at all montesa, sherco, beta, really do not care, what he does struggle with is the speed at which everything happens, hydraulic clutches, brakes that really work, speed/sharpeness of acceleration etc etc. he has borrowed a 2001 montesa 315, works very well and he seems to like it, however it is too quick!!!. some of this we accept we cannot change and it will be perseverance. can anyone recommend makes and models that have the softest power or are there ways to de-tune a modern trials bike, do some lend themselves to de-tuning better than others, we have been recommended Scorpa as having a soft smooth power delivery with a slow action throttle??? does the 315 still have choice of chips like the 314??? can extra head gaskets be put in etc etc

any help or advice very much appreciated

is he a big or smaller guy? probably best option (imo) is a 250 txt pro gasgas(there are a few on ebay)

fit a fly wheel weight and low compression head and it will be perfect- smooth and a soft power delivery

but plenty of power when needed. or alternatively a 125 with high compression head-this again is a perfect beginers bike and will have all the power you will need(unless hes doing 7ft walls!)

hope this helps-

ben

beta 200 use the slow throttle and theslow throttle kit from dave varley ( d&c classics) it ll really slow it all down.. go down on the front sproket and up on the rear he ll have a thing that ll make walking pace look very fast..

is he a big or smaller guy? probably best option (imo) is a 250 txt pro gasgas(there are a few on ebay)

fit a fly wheel weight and low compression head and it will be perfect- smooth and a soft power delivery

but plenty of power when needed. or alternatively a 125 with high compression head-this again is a perfect beginers bike and will have all the power you will need(unless hes doing 7ft walls!)

hope this helps-

ben

Thank you, he is little on the large side, about 5'10" and 16.5 stone with the riding gear on, hopes to be less!!! ok will have a look on flea bay. like the sound of the 250 with the flywheel weight and low comp head.

a slow throttle on a 315 would be ideal i would have thought you could put an extra base gasket on it to tame it a bit more

thank you, he does like the 315 he has borrowed, sadly it is not for sale, hence the request for info on others, there are a couple of 315s on ebay, just wanted to canvas opinion, he can't be the only mature rider that can't cope with a rocket ship!!

I am new to the forum, so many replies so soon, thank you to everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

My sister rides a 250 beta rev with a extra ali head gasket and a slow throttle.

Its soft on power delivery but torque en mass just like a bult.

My old man is getting used to it after 30 years of bultacos. The main problems are the high kick start position, brakes that work and the gear/brake levers are on the "wrong" side! i think as he only rides easy route he gets away with engine brake and using the front. clutch is not a problem as he does everything in 2nd.

Detuned beta rev or evo al the way