From Now On Let's Just Call World Rounds "observed Endurocross"

funtrials

Stop to masterfully catch your balance, giving the crowd a thrill?....why that's arguably worse than an Endurocross rider doing that (think about that - one "five" and a trials rider can drop a few places in the standings, but an Endurocross rider who stops dead or just a split-second would hardly ever drop in the standings, of course.)

Use all the skills you possess to jump the bike magically sideways 3 times, to heroically save a dab?....fugetaboutit! MotoGP riders can't do that, so why should we let YOU? We WANT to take the sport back to the 1960's, when nobody had all these fancy-shmancy "skills" they have today. "Evolution of the sport"?....we certainly don't want that!

Work hard to tame a vicious world-class section by strategically hopping stationary on your back wheel, like only a handful of people on the planet can even dream of?...as a reward, we're going to give you the same score as if you fell flat on your face ten times in the section. (Watch Caby in that Goebbels-like FIM propaganda/how-to-score video demonstrate that feat - that only a handful of riders in the world can even dream of doing - and see how that's now STRICKLY VERBOTTEN, for reasons only our elite FIM overlords understand.) "Fourth Reich"?

Try to roll backwards, up an incredibly difficult incline, as only the best-ever could even dream of, to line up for a spectacular attempt at a 8 foot tall rock face, to wow the crowd and advance the popularity of the sport!?.....DON'T YOU DARE, THAT'S 5 BIG ONES, FELLA! HOW DARE YOU! WE'D GIVE YOU A "10" IF WE COULD! (Ooops, after reading this they'll probably try to do that too....sorry..)

Have the engine die on you in a section and then masterfully conjure up all the balance you can muster and save it for a clean by restarting the engine, w/out even dabbing, giving us something to tell our grandchildren about!?....sorry, Mr. Bou, you've won more world titles than anyone ever, but that great ability is going to cost you the victory on the second day in Japan, I'm afraid....we can't have any great skills on display in these new FIM World Rounds, as it will make the Endurocross riders look bad by comparison (just watch an Endurocross, they are constantly getting completely stuck on those rock piles that would be like a paved highway to World Trials riders...sad really.)

Masterfully clean the entire section, but only six inches from the end gate do any of those things mentioned above, and they'll hit you with the EXACT SAME score as my 97 year-old grandmother would score if she tackled those World Round sections in her motorized wheel-chair. "Fairness" doesn't seem to be a concept the FIM understands.

Saint Blazusiak dominates Endurocross, but could only muster 8th place in the trials world rounds (back in the pre-FIM-Gestapo days, that is.) So are these new rules designed to help the less-advanced riders compete with the real studs?

They see former trials riders dominate Endurocross, so are they secretly trying to nip that in the bud for the future?

Are they secretly trying to get people to buy enduro bikes instead of trials bikes?

Is the FIM just JEALOUS of people who can balance a motorcycle while stopped? They've tried, but they can't do that on their Harleys, so it must be a bad thing, right?

Ok, ok, ok, I give in, how about you just give them ONE point for doing all of the above-mentioned "aggregious" (yet highly skillful) things!?...."Nein, nein, nein!", they say, because showing skills that only a handful of people in the entire world can do deserves the very MAXIMUM penalty, because of some warped belief that that will somehow magically help bike sales....or help solve global warming...or cure cancer...actually I don't really know what the heck they think they are accomplishing - except of course ruining a sport we all love.

So why don't you in the FIM just be honest with us and admit that you subconsciously yearn for basically "Observed Endurocross", and just change the dang name. You can have it.

Edited by funtrials
  • Like 2

Funtrials

Great read, bang on, well stated.

Lets collect money, buy him a plane ticket and send him to the FIM offices to speak for us on this matter.

Nothing like being under the influence to bring out the best in us. So what you on? What beverage are you participating in?

Bravo........... :icon_salut:

Edited by billyt

Only read half of your post (as I have low attention span ) but totally agree. Stop clubs gaining, no stop clubs loosing members and observers.. I can't hop much but APPRECIATE the skilll and aspire to do it.. I'm old but do not aspire to ride a section non stop but have to sometimes. My mates will always find fault but if you've got your feet up - no argument. Its total madness. All the poor kids who have been bouncing for fun are now not allowed to progress it. Who on earth will want to move from bike trials to motor trials - that answer is none. So lets all get on ebay and search for a nice tiger cub and move the sport forward !!!!!. Age witheld but nearer dominoes than lego !!!

Funtrials

What beverage are you participating in?

It's my own special brand, and I've been partaking of since I was 12 years old (and have been addicted for 30+ years), it's called "Love Of Trials". Some people at the local pub are addicted to hops and barley....I'm just addicted to HOPS. Long live stop-and-hop! ("The Stop and Hop", sounds like a great name for a new pub in Glasgow, or Cotswolds, or West Leeds, by the way.)

Maybe I should start a 12-step program (and as long as I don't STOP for a billionth of a second while taking said 12 steps, the FIM might leave me alone.)

When you let a group of mostly balance-challenged motorcycle riders (what percentage of all FIM members are trials riders!?) take control of our sport, then "that's not REAL motorcycle riding" is what we'll be stuck with, as we are seeing this year.

From now on let's all refer to "no-stop trials" as "no-fun trials".

And let's refer to "stop and hop" trials as.....yep.....you guessed it......you saw this coming....FUNTRIALS!

Hey, that'd be an AWESOME username.....oh wait, nevermind.

Edited by funtrials
  • Like 1

Funtrials

Lets collect money, buy him a plane ticket and send him to the FIM offices to speak for us on this matter.

I had a dream I was riding my faithful Gas Gas, which I've nicknamed "Hop-along"(it's honestly a RAGA, no less....hehe, some will get the FIM-related humor) right into the next FIM trials rules committee meeting, perfectly Jap Zapping up onto the top of their fascist conference table (feet up!), then I'll balance on top of the table and gleefully stop, hop, stop, hop some MORE, and continue stopping/hopping (way way more than the allotted 90 seconds) while I spout the unanamous demands of all Trials Central forum members that they give us our sport back!

Heck, if I REALLY want to get their attention, then I might even roll BACKWARDS(!) on said table, hopefully hitting Michaud's mocha and spilling it all over him, and yell at him "remember when we could do that, Theirry!?" (Interestingly, I actually rode against the dude in multiple world rounds - and I never beat him (probably because we was better at rolling backwards than me on my Fantic), so now's my chance to finally get even.)

Edited by funtrials

#4 - not completely accurate, plenty of no stop trials have good entries and plenty of observers. Observing no stop does have issues at present which can put some off, The issue is riders who seem to think stopping and moving the bike back is not a stop then argue with the observer. I will miss seeing the top riders stop and hop at Nord View in a few weeks time, but I also know many riders who felt the sport at club / national level where they ride was spoiled by stop and hop.

It would be very interesting if a few club secretaries were to have a verbal pole at signing on, asking riders if they prefer stop or no stop and publishing / posting the outcome. Perhaps the ACU should have an internet poll of all licence holders.

Cheers

• Like 1

It's funny you mention Endurocross, because it makes the FIM's point for no-stop. Here in the States, many of the current Endurocross riders have come from a Trials background, Jeff Aaron, Colton Haaker and a bunch of other up and coming Trials riders here in So Cal. Why is that? Besides the obvious sponsorship perks Endurocross offers, Trials riders have all the transferable skills and there isn't any one skill that Endurocross requires in order for them to be competitive. Not so for those guys with enduro, mx or any other 2 wheel background that want to try Trials at a mid to advanced level. When was the last time you saw a top EnduroCross rider (someone without a trials background) show up and compete in a Trial? It doesn't happen here. They don't want want to be embarrassed by not being able to stop and hop to get through a section. We used to see guys like Malcolm Smith and Dick Mann at trials events from time to time, but not since stop & hop began. Stop and hop has made Trials a very exclusive sport and the FIM has recognized that. Give it a year and Trials riders will get used to no-stop, the sections will evolve to enhance the idea, more riders will be open to giving it a try and it will be a better sport. The die-hard stop and hoppers will always rant, just see the next post....

• Like 3

One thing the non stop debate has done.....it has exposed the ugly and the ignorant among us.

Don't be so down on yourself Martin....as Bill T points out, everyone still has the freedom to express their thoughts for what they see as being in the best interests of their sport.

#4 - not completely accurate, plenty of no stop trials have good entries and plenty of observers. Observing no stop does have issues at present which can put some off, The issue is riders who seem to think stopping and moving the bike back is not a stop then argue with the observer. I will miss seeing the top riders stop and hop at Nord View in a few weeks time, but I also know many riders who felt the sport at club / national level where they ride was spoiled by stop and hop.

It would be very interesting if a few club secretaries were to have a verbal pole at signing on, asking riders if they prefer stop or no stop and publishing / posting the outcome. Perhaps the ACU should have an internet poll of all licence holders.

Cheers

There is no need for a pool as it always is around 50/50.

I am of the opinion that the organising clubs should decide what rules they want and let the riders vote with their feet?

But for anyone to dictate to others is wrong, but wtc should be spectacular,but why just change the rules and nothing else?

Don't be so down on yourself Martin....as Bill T points out, everyone still has the freedom to express their thoughts for what they see as being in the best interests of their sport.

No one questioned his right to free speech. My point is that calling people Nazis is not the way to solve a problem. But some people are more interested hurling insults than in exchanging ideas and moving the sport forward.

Name calling is the last refuge of the non-thinker.

• Like 3