How Can You Tell Model Years?

ba baraccus

My mate has just bought an air cooled Fantic that we were told was a 307. It certainly looks like one as it has been painted reddy orange and white. However on closer inspection it looks like the tank used to be flourecent yellow and the mudguards were blue! This would suggest to me that it may be a 309 (1991 model) but is there anyway we can find out for certain? Are there any differences between the 2 models (307 and 309) apart from colour?

Cheers guys :P

Thanks HondaRS I took your advice and had a look under the tank this morning. Is it kinda like a clock face with the year in the middle? Only there was 2, one saying 91 and one saying 92! Either way I guess its not a 307 as they were made in 1990 were'nt they?

Thanks again HondaRS

The orange fluoro paint on tank and fork guards and air cooling suggests the 305 or 307 of 1989/1990, but it looks like upside down forks so has to be newer than the 305. Could be a 1990 307 or 247, but the bigger rear silencer suggests a 309 as mentioned in earler posting, especially if there is no mid section silencer above the rear master cylinder by the riders right leg.

Check for blue paint under the fresh coat of black on the engine as this would point to 1991 309.

Only the engine/frame numbers will tell for sure.

Thanks for the tips fanticisti, I think it must be a 309 or later as you suggest. There is no mid section silencer as it has the bigger rear silencer! I thought it would have blue paint on the engine and maybe yellow paint on the hubs also but by the looks of it they have only ever been black (unless someone did a good job of stripping them in the past?).

Bill Pye thinks it maybe a 1992 Clubman? Has anyone got any pics of one of these or is it the same as the 309??