Parts And Extras?

sam

I'am the proud owner of a barely used 03 Montesa.

Would like to know what gaurds you may have found to be worth the money? I see there is long fork gaurds and short fork gaurds, aluminum ones and carbonfiber. Also, case covers, head pipe protectors and so on.

The gaurd for a thrown chain looks like money well spent.

Please list any more Ideas and also dealers who carry these Items and stock parts.

This machine is scratchless, I'am really having a hard time wanting to ride it, I'am in the (stare at it stage of ownership).

Sam

hillbilly - some people take the fork stops out completely. If you are used to it you can 'saw the bars' in tight turns (turn super tight, then back off a little - repeat...) for some additional control. You might end up smacking your frame if you take headers as often as I do...

do you realy think all the protective bits and pieces are nessesary?after all it is a trials bike not a show piece unless that is what you are planning?i think if you dont fall off and ocasionaly break things you are not trying hard enough but that is just me. :D not meaning 2 have a big or anything.its just my opinion.no matter what the condition(unless its been run into the ground and fallen to bits) when you come 2 sell it on you are still going 2 get roughly the same price as any other Montesa of that age?you could just save your money and replace the bit you damage eg.levers,grips,tyres and ive seen even the best of local riders breaking mudguards on montessas because of there awsome power. :blink:

dont blame you for wanting to keep your bike in imaculite condition though! :ph34r:

i used to think that guards were more bother than they were worth - (except for neoprene fork gaiters) but recently fell against a rock with the mont and hit the waterpump - it didnt crack but it pushed in and knocked some of the fins off the impeller - made a hell of a noise - i thought the mains had gone - simple job to fix and cheaper than i thought but it could put you out of the scottish - may be worth a guard of some sort

I just noticed to small rubber pads on the fork tree that must be bumpers for hitting the frame, I guess people leave those bolts out for a tighter turning radius. Looking at all these plonker press issues, I notice nobody really uses fork gaurds.

I'am so impressed with this air cleaner box, I see why there is little disscussion on rebuilding the the motor!

sam

Unless you're made of money, I'd get at least the lower fork gaurds. The sliders will bind if dented and they cannot be repaired by any reasonable method. They cost plenty. The carbon fiber ones look cool. If you have no shame you could get those god awful looking rifle scabbard things that protect the whole tube also. I think they're too ugly to run but, alot of guys are running them. Neoprene tube gaurds are great for protecting the tubes from scratches and keeping the grit out of the seals, but once gain they sure don't look that neat. I like looking at the pretty purple, geen, blue anodized tubes so much that I am willing to risk that expense. Just run what you think is best for you.