First Trial.

lee101

So, this weekend is my first proper trial.

Nothing special, just a local club putting on a local trial.

Thing is, I don't know which route to pick.

We run 3 routes - expert, A and B obviously in that difficulty order.

I've got the skill to ride the A route but I've never had practice with flags and often get confused which way to go whilst in the mindset of doing a proper trial.

I was thinking of doing the B route just to get used to the markers but am worried I will be bored as its to easy for me.

I only get confused as they use the format of red being on the right and blue on the left. Sometimes there are yellow ones thrown in there aswell to mark routes which have a different section skipped out.

If you are not in the trial to win trophies, you could start on the B route and if it really is too easy change to the A route on the next lap, just let the observer know what you are riding. I,ve seen newbys do that many times. also if they find it too hard they may drop a level.

The important bit is bike time and enjoy it.

I used to get really nervous at the start and would miss markers and make silly mistakes, but you get used to it.

TLTEL

I think I'd start onthe easier route if I was you. You may have the skill to ride the harder route, but choosing the easier option will allow you to concentrate on the markers more and probably have a better ride.

It's really frustrating to lose marks for going the wrong way.

If you find it too easy, you know which route to ride next time.

Most importantly, have a great time!

Let us know how you get on. :D

Pete

Not as easy when you are in the sections! Section planning is of high importance! Once you master the B, you may progress! It is a skill thing!

You may surprise yourself just how poorly you actually do in the sections! All normal.

Edited by copemech

Good decision. The B route is only too easy if you clean it! If you're riding through the sections without any bother then just think of it as an exercise in concentration, which will be a very useful part of your skillset in future trials.

Good luck, why not post back on here next week to let us all know how it went.

I think you will be surprised by the B route, I think you might find it harder than you think. I ride about 3 or 4 times a week, for the last 6 months and my 4th event is this sunday. I ride clubman level (our easiest) and im just aproaching the top 5 out of about 20 riders. I have decided to stay in clubmans for 2014 until im consistently in the top 3.

As the guys say, go out to enjoy it, ride the easy route and then guage where you want to go from there. Main thing is have fun and dont get in over your head to start with.

I ride super awesome.............until somebody puts up markers, ribbon, tape etc and decides to watch me....... :D

i wouldnt say i ride super awesome but to be fair i ride terrible at a trial but twice as good at practice so unfair

• Like 1

The only way to practice Trials is ride them. you can learn obstacles easy enough, but staying in the flags is different. Ride the easyest rout, thats what its for.

I know plenty of superb riders, who will tackle any step, drop, climb, without hesitation, but put them in a section, and bingo, my mum could beat them..

HAVE FUN..

• Like 2

Did my first Trial today! Was a bit of a whirlwind as I didn't know what to expect or what to do. Was really well set out and perfect for my first trial. Nothing too hard and I cleaned a few sections. Did get a little frustrated at one point - I need to learn some patience/mental control to go with the bike control! Had to keep reminding myself that the scores don't matter much at this stage but it's soooo hard not to get caught up in it.

I've already learned the benefit of using the correct technique - sounds silly but if you get the technique right, then it feels really natural. Get it wrong and it's a nightmare!

I really don't see how I can practice the skills anywhere other than at trials so I'll have to keep going along and try and get better - does anyone have a strategy for trying to learn on the job???

• Like 1

I really don't see how I can practice the skills anywhere other than at trials so I'll have to keep going along and try and get better - does anyone have a strategy for trying to learn on the job???

Remember to smile and have fun, that is why we do this.

Also watch some of the better riders, talk to the other riders about how they are riding the trial, etc.

And try not to get too nerved up scores, Also if possible have somebody "catch" for you on things that make you really nervous. Sometimes just having somebody standing there "just in case" is enough of a confidence builder for you to really give it a go.