Information Wanted

toetoe

Hi everyone, i have not yet got a bike, i will be having one after xmass but i need some information first, i'm 51 this year and keep thinking may be i'm to old so i could do with some of the older members input about age, also things have moved on a bit since i had my last trials bike, it was a Bultaco 350 about 30 years ago so i'v been looking at Gasgas, Sherco and beta, they all look very much the same so any information on them would be great, good and bad, an important thing to me is how easy can i get parts for my bike and how easy is it to fix myself, also Montesa look the part, so anything on these four bikes would be a great help.

Regards

Tony

Get yourself down to your local trial and have a look.

You'll get more advice than you can shake a stick at ,see the bikes and get a feel for how things are these days.

If you say where you're from I'm sure someone will point you towards a trial in your locality.

Cheers the noo as we say in cold places.

The Mont / Honda will probably be the most reliable, its a few Kgs heavier than the others but still a lot lighter than a bulto. I found it grips slightly easier than the others particularly on muddy rocks. Its drawback is lack of dealers and frequent oil changes with expensive synthetic oil but it will probably depreciate less than the others and use less petrol.

I may get some flak from gasgas owners but I think the gasgas will be the least reliable due to gearbox and kickstart problems. Ignition failure is far from unknown on any of the two strokes. Beta, gas gas and Mont are available in 2 different versions to complicate things further.

If I were choosing in the lower spec price range I would probably go for a sherco, in the higher price range probably the mont.

I would ride all before buying. Having said that the 200cc beta is a very capable bike and easy to ride.

To ride a trials bike you need four working limbs (though I've seen it done with three, but that's another story), a sense of balance, some mind-body coordination and on occasion a good spadeful of bravery.

Two points to note:

- the age of these components doesn't matter as long as you have them

- 51 isn't that old anyway

There are plenty of people riding well who have 10 years or more on you. If you are unhappy with your performance practice, rather than youth, is most likely to improve it.

Welcome, and don't think you are too old at 51 to start riding trials. It will take you a while to get the hang of it but its worth it.

I am the same age as you and been riding now for about five years (second time around) started occasional practice, then a trial every couple of months and now two or three a month and would do it every weekend if I had no other commitments.

As has been suggested go to a local trial and see what a cross section of ages are there, I think where I ride the majority are over 40, some well over!

Look around at the Trial to see what people are riding as that can vary with different parts of the Country (you didn't say where you are from)

down here in Kent I think there are more Gas Gas and Betas, not very many Shercos or Monts or ossa's.

Most people will tell you that what they ride is the best make, but I don't think there is any one make that is actually better, you don't very often see a break down at a Trial.

If you want to work on the bike yourself, the two strokes are not that complicated but I would avoid a 4 stoke.

Good luck

TLTEL

Hello toetoe.I too am 51 in december .This year is my first full trials season since being 16, and did half a season when i was 30 ish.Got a steel pin in my shoulder and a couple of years ago ,i had a hellish accident at Val Du Vienne racing circuit in France . Came back to trials .

I agree in the most to what people have said above . As regards to the Mont, i know two guys who ride week in week out and they couldn't be more different.One regularly maintains his bike ,but the other has had his bike for three years and simply changes the oil once a year and keeps up with maintenance if it's needed . To put a point to it niether suffers brake downs and the quallity of the bike shines through.

Just don't make the mistake of buying something to big . I have a gas gas TXT 280(not the Pro) and some times you've got to be careful with the throttle or it's away with you and can be bloody unplesant.

I'm actually going to buy either a 200 Beta 2 stroke or a 250 Beta 4 stroke. Keeping my Gasser though because just can't bare the thought of some git ruining it after i've worked hard to keep it nice. Keep us posted .

Ted

• Like 1

Just a word of caution, things happen fast on the new bikes. You might look at the 2002 - 2005 models if you can find a good one. 200-250cc at the most. If after 6 months you are happy with the sport, then start trying all the new models.

• Like 1

Welcome,

Buy the bike that feels "right" when you ride it........(cough GasGas cough cough)

As far as age goes, it's only a number, unless you can use it to your advantage.

A fellow Team WGASA member is in his Mid to low 50's and rides Expert class. very well also................Although he can crash with the best(?) of them. He has had some really spectacular offs and got back on the bike and rode the next section.

What's your budget?

I'm also new to this but it's clear that brand recommendations should change with the age of the bike. e.g. pre 'Pro' (2004?) Gas Gas bikes have a reputation for being more robust, but in my experience parts availability is very poor - one dealer has recommended Beta's to me for parts availability reasons.

Buy on condition more than brand. All brands have problems of one sort or another. If you have found a local dealer you like, take his advise but do not just look at the stock he has at the moment. Most parts are available from 2002 and newer, except some plastics (correct colors).