Fim Minimum Bike Weight Increase 2014? What?

kettlewell

I stopped just outside the 30 mph limit. Apart from rear tyre and whole exhaust being very hot and smoking the bike was fine.

In the places I practice we have some pretty long hill climbs and long bogs. On the old air cooled bikes (not just the Bulto) you could attempt them time after time. Try the same things on nearly any modern water cooled bike and you have to be careful or they boil, certainly 2 or 3 runs in rapid succession and they do boil.

I am not suggesting a return to air cooled motors because piston / bore life and power output is much better on a water cooler, but because of small radiators and water pumps there are things they just can't do as well as the old air coolers.

However, I'm thinking 2 but it may take longer than 1 so the hens win?

Full Definition of CRUSADE
capitalized : any of the military expeditions undertaken by Christian powers in the 11th, 12th, and 13th centuries to win the Holy Land from the Muslims
: a remedial enterprise undertaken with zeal and enthusiasm

Of course modern bikes complete the Scott, but a lot do get boiled, particularly in muddy years. For us mere mortals there are hardly any sustained flat out sections.

If you reckon there is part of the course where you can run flat out for 4 minutes, do let us know before this years event, I am sure the outcome will be well worth spectating.

Perce & Dabster, since you are obviously so very intrigued by the capabilities of a 40 odd year old bike I will tell you of another advantage it had over modern bikes. It could be used for commuting in comfort and had a big enough tank to tour a decent distance.

Thanks for that, my mate rode his to school in 1974, tell me something i dont know.

Funny that, I used to ride mine round the town when I was 17 as well. Having ridden 1970's twin shock bikes brand new out of the box, I know without doubt that in comparison to a modern bike they were a piece of junk. No brakes, no suspension, no clutch. Better reliability? You're having a laugh.

2015 ssdt (if only....) ride a brand new 2015 250 gasser or brand new 1971 250 bulto? Difficult choice? No way, Gasser every time.

Anyway I think it's time I bought mysen some hens.

• Like 2

It would be interesting to see an actual factual comparison of reliability between old and modern bikes. Sure drum brakes are not as good particularly when wet but you are very unlikely to have to pull out of a trial because of a drum brake problem. You can strip them easily and fit a new cable in minutes. Bend or crack a disc, or have a problem with the hydraulics and there is usually little you can do about it at a trial.

Points ignition rarely fails suddenly and is easily and cheaply diagnosed and fixed. I know it needs routine maintenance which is a nuisance, but I have seen plenty of riders stuck in remote places and facing a long push when electronic ignition just suddenly failed.

Of course when it comes to riding in a modern trial the modern gasser is a far better tool than the old bulto, but if you want something a bit more versatile the choice is not so clear. Modern trials bike requirements has led design down a very narrow alley.

Yes but.... Surfers at pro level look good. Great bodies. Fabulous sunny locations. Blue water, white sand. The power of nature on display. All in all an Aspirational show for teens and adults to watch. Speed also a factor. Also rules very simple to understand by general public. No compare with our sport.

Have to disagree. Sure sunny locations but decent waves generally coincide with crap weather. For me when it p****s down at the SSDT I am way more interested as it highlights the skill of the top riders. As for the rules it is like gymnastics they are judged. Two surfers doing three turns getting wildly different scores. It all comes down to marketing, trials does an incredibly bad job getting the message out. Compare the Erzberg Rodeo with any FIM trial or SSDT or Scott??

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Interesting to note that for 2015 the weight of Moto Gp bikes has been reduced by 2 kgs with a further reduction again in 2016. I personally think the weight of trials bikes should start at say 67kgs and be reduced by a published 1kg every two years so every manufacturer/team can meet those goals. This would rate have to be revised periodically to ensure costs didn't get out of hand for privateers and also ensuring that manufacturers continue to improve and upgrade their designs

Interesting to note that for 2015 the weight of Moto Gp bikes has been reduced by 2 kgs with a further reduction again in 2016. I personally think the weight of trials bikes should start at say 67kgs and be reduced by a published 1kg every two years so every manufacturer/team can meet those goals. This would rate have to be revised periodically to ensure costs didn't get out of hand for privateers and also ensuring that manufacturers continue to improve and upgrade their designs

Road bike market huge! Trials bike market tiny! Where would the R&D money come from?