Which Van ?

redvanman

Decided at last to change the van. The old tranny (190 high top) is now to big for our needs.

Looking to get a smaller van to carry two bikes and have been recommended either the Scudo, Expert or dispatch.

Which van is the best and what size engine should I go for.

Stuart

The 3 vans you are referring to are identical except that the Scudo uses the fiat engines and the dispatch and expert use the peugeot /citreon engines. I have no experience of the Fiat motors but the Peugeot/Citreon has served me well in a series of cars and vans. Until recently the choice was a non turbo 1.9 diesel (avoid like the plague unless you want some early morning starts to get to your trial) or a 1.9 turbo. Recently this changed to a 2.0 litre HDi. I am told that the power output is about the same due to the 1.9 being intercooled and the HDi not.

The performance is good (my expert was good for well over the legal limit.) and it returned about 34 MPG. I have heard of people getting in excess of 40 but I have a large & heavy right foot, and No. 1 son who also drove it was even worse!!!

I had no major problems until said son drove it into an Scudo at 70 mph, which unfortunately proved terminal (for the van not the son!)

As you can see I would have no hesitation recommending them to you

Good luck

PS I have replaced it with a Vito and will rweserve judgement until I have run it a while longer

I've had two Fiat Scudo 1.9 diesels (non turbo's). Absolute cracking vans! We can carry three bikes in the back no problem. The two outside bikes face forward and the middle bike we put in backwards. We have had no problems on motorway journeys or up on the North Yorkshire moors. It's fair to say we pass more vehicles than overtake us, so do n't dismiss the 1.9 The only niggle is that both vans have suffered from a heater fan that has a mind of it's own! Sometimes it just stops on it's own, then couple of minutes later it will turn itself on to full speed. The windscreen can be easily chipped by flying stones (angle of screen I think!) Apart from that no problems. I will be ordering my third Scudo in Sept 06 as in 24 years of business they are the best vans we ever operated. Hope this recommendation helps. All vans are the same but badged differently. The Fiat comes with a single passenger seat but can be changed to a dual seat by dealer for additional

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...