Chain Rubbing Rear Brake Pedal

southwester

My chain rubs my rear brake on my beta rev 3 It dosent seem to be bent but there is a bit of play in the bearing. There's some wear to the brake pedal where the chains been rubbing against it in the past.

Anybody surfered this my solution at present is to get the grinder out and give the pedal a shave.

Dont shave the lever, replace the bearing and the bush. Had exactly the same issue. When you step on the brake, you are putting a hell of a lot of preasure on the aluminium and bearing. Im quite sure the bearing is toast but im also sure you have a slight bend. Its a common rev issue, apparently. Change the bearing.

agree...check bearing and pin, after that, check to see if pedal bent slightly....can be straightened in a vice with soft jaws, heat gun and a large adjustable wrench placed over the tip of the pedal....careful though....easy to crack it off if you're not patient....bend it a little at a time (you'll need to remove bearing to do this job anyway, or you'll melt the rubber seals). get someone else to do it if you've no experience working with aluminium

Cheers for replys I'll put the grinder down for now then!

What's the best tenique for removing the bearing and putting the new one back in as for working with ali no I don't have any experience how hot does it need to be to bend red hot? and how close is it to the melting point.

Cheers

Rub some soap on the lever and heat it until the soap chars / blackens then allow it to cool or quench in water before bending it. Repeat the heat treatment (annealing) if you feel the lever stiffen again whilst bending it.

As macman says, I forgot to mention, masterlink must be on the inside. Std 520 chains are wider than a proper beta chain. I made that mistake already on my rev, ended up buying a beta chain. Expensive but more clearance for the brake.

What I did shave on the old leaver was the little tab that contacts the stop bolt. My old leaver had a slight bend and would bottom out on the frame before I got the rear to lock up. I just shaved a mm or two and that solved that issue. However, new bearings, bush and lever solved all the issues. The revs lever has very little tolerance for bends.

I pressed the bearing out and in cold. Heat on aluminium is not advisable if the part takes strain (like stepping on it). Heat will change the properties and make it softer, causing it to flex more and bend easier. Its fine on things like clutch leavers as not too much force is usually applied. A brake lever is a different story.

PS: I also have gas, lots of it first thing in the morning :D