Brake Disc Movement

lamptramp

Just learning more as I go along about the well worn 2002 315R that I bought recently and noticed that both the front and rear brake discs have a fair bit of movement in them. When you lock the disc, the wheel can still move. Roughly speaking, the disc moves on its mounting nuts by a couple of millimetres. Should there be any rotational play (can't think why) in the discs or are they just buggered?

Thanks

Just learning more as I go along about the well worn 2002 315R that I bought recently and noticed that both the front and rear brake discs have a fair bit of movement in them. When you lock the disc, the wheel can still move. Roughly speaking, the disc moves on its mounting nuts by a couple of millimetres. Should there be any rotational play (can't think why) in the discs or are they just buggered?

Thanks

As nelly stated this is normal, even a small amount of rotanional (radial) play is normal.

The axial play is there to allows the disc to line itself with the brake pads for a quick and sensitive brake feel.

Also when you brake the forks twist a little bit, the floating disc compensates this movement.

• Like 1

As nelly stated this is normal, even a small amount of rotanional (radial) play is normal.

The axial play is there to allows the disc to line itself with the brake pads for a quick and sensitive brake feel.

Also when you brake the forks twist a little bit, the floating disc compensates this movement.

Well that's fine then! Just looking for ways to make the bike compensate even further for the below average rider, guess I'll need to look elsewhere for such improvements...

Thanks to all for your advice.

Steve

• Like 1

They are supposed to float , but on my 97 section I Think I need to replace the mount bushings , as mine rattles quite annoyingly when stone cold ...

Or do I just live with it as the brakes are fantastic ...?

Glenn

The brake discs on your fantic came that way from the factory glen. Changing the bushings will make no difference. The 38mm Paioli fork, ajp wheel hubs and brake discs on your 90's era fantic are exactly the same parts on the 97-99 montesa 315 incidently.

• Like 2