Chain Maintenance Preference

davet

As the title states what is your preference to chain maintenance , is it soak in oil , spray lube , chain grease or spray a light oil onto chain .

Or is there another method , share your maintenance tips.

Keep ya feet up ! !

On my bike I use Q20 and nothing else. I spray before each training session and at each refuel during a event. When I clean my bike with prepsol, the chain comes out spotless and gets another Q20 dose. I prefer a lite oil often. Cleans off easily and doesnt build up gunk/grinding paste like chain wax or some of that other glue nonsense in a can. Lube often and clean bike often.

Would not do this on a mx or enduro bike, due to high speed, lite oil would get flung off too fast. For a trials bike, I feel its fine and my chain is always lubed and easily cleaned. Easy to maintain.

I degrease my chain as little as possible. and when I do, I use petrolium. ( if you degrease the chain completely it always takes some time before the grease is able to penetrate completely in the bushings)

After washing my bike I ride the chain dry or blow it dry with compressed air.

If there's still to much gunk on the chain, I brush it of with a steel wire brush, or wipe it of as much as possible with a cloth.

To grease the chaine I use S100 White Chain Spray, wich leaves a reasonable dry film on the chain

I clean the chain completly with a degreaser, scrubbing with a brush until it's really clean, then I apply a teflon chain lube,

works very nice and extends chain live time a lot, also wear of sprockets.

As we have often very wet and muddy conditions these sticky grease and oils pull sand and debris very quick.

The teflon stuff is dry and too water-repellent so the chain doesn' t get dirty.

Chain wear is very little and the spray can is around 2€ expensivier then the standard sticky stuff.

The additional money is good spend as you don't need to clean the chain as often now. Important is regular apply everyday before you start riding and before you use it you have to get rid of all oily components from previous oils and grease.

When you apply the fluid there are some solvents inside that let the fluid creep everywere. The exess fluid I wipe off together with the dust which might be on the chain from last ride. Then you have to wait 5 minutes so the solvents have dissolved, the chain is then extremly slippery but completly dry.

• Like 1

Sorry ... forgot to name the product:

"Profi Dry Lube Motorcycle Cain Lube", it's available in the UK too:

http://www.performancemotorcare.com/acatalog/Profi_Dry_Lube_400ml__1223.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=PROFI%20DRY%20LUBE&index=automotive&search-type=ss

Mmmh ... in D it's 15,50€ a 400ml can in UK sadly much more :huh:

Can't say I' remember cleaning a chain and I've been around a while.

I feel it's pretty pointless when 10 yards from the start the whole thing is running in mud and water.

Wouldn't leave it dry though and always oil (engine oil) it as soon as the bike is dry.

Never any problems even with wee 428s that my Scorpa 175 runs

You might save a bit on wear with a more particular approach.

But even a tight fisted Scotsman would let it go..

Clean well, soak in WD40, wipe excess and let dry, re-apply after every wash and ride, or between loops if really muddy.

Pretty much what i do with the Q20. Q20 is our common, easily available water displacing, general purpose aerosol lube.....very similar to WD40. WD40 is not as easily available here in SA as Q20 holds the market here. Im also a fan of lube often and keep chain clean inbetween.

hose off at the end of each ride. take it for a quick spin to dry it out. then just spray with silicon spray.

i've been doing this for years with dirt bikes and get similar wear and longevity to everyone else. i'm not sure if this will suffice with the non-O-ring chain on the trials bike but keen to see how it goes. it's been working so for for six months and riding most weekends. it's been such a hassle free technique with all the dirt and road bikes.