Gas Gas Starting Problems

r6wooly

Hi guys and girls I have got a 2012 txt pro 300 and I dropped it down a hill, the throttle stuck open for a few seconds until someone managed to get the kill switch.

The bike was running perfect all day but then wouldn't start at all ! I removed the flywheel and the wood ruff key had sheared so I replaced the key but it's still no good and won't start !

I have removed and cleaned the carb checked all the electrics disconnected the kill switch but still doesn't want to go and now I'm at a bit of a dead end can anyone give me any help please ? I'm getting a spark and the plug is getting wet so I'm sure it's got to be timing related has anyone else had anything similar ? Cheers Matt

Have you checked to see that the engine is not flooded,with you say you dropped it down a hill,even though the engine was stopped.and have you rechecked your woodruff key.

Edited by bilks

I tried a new spark plug with no luck so removed the cylinder head and piston has gone and took the barrel out with it ! I think I can save the barrel though so not all bad lol cheers for the advice anyway guys

I do not use one yet, but stories like this make me seriously consider a lanyard type kill switch.

Good luck on the bike.

Got a lanyard on mine and wouldn't be without it. Totally worth the extra faff.

Was at a trial yesterday, a bloke leant his bike against a rock and left his engine ticking over, whilst he walked the section, the bike fell over and throttle jammed wide open, engine screaming, he got to his bike just before I did and the first thing he did was pick the bike up, ironically there on his bars was a lanyard.

I liked the one just last weekend. A rider went to start his bike and the lanyard was no where to be found. Looked forever, it was stuck to the metal inside the truck bed. I agree that an instant cut out is nice, but all the other issues is not worth it. Same opinion on anti-lock brakes, good for the masses. But in extreme conditions let me have a brake system that works to bring the vehicle under control (Mine not the computer).

• Like 1

I liked the one just last weekend. A rider went to start his bike and the lanyard was no where to be found. Looked forever, it was stuck to the metal inside the truck bed. I agree that an instant cut out is nice, but all the other issues is not worth it. Same opinion on anti-lock brakes, good for the masses. But in extreme conditions let me have a brake system that works to bring the vehicle under control (Mine not the computer).

As trials riders, I think we probably have better control of our vehicles than many other people. The problem that started this thread was when the rider no longer had control of the bike. Once that happens it does make sense to me to have the bike shut down.

If I do a lanyard, I will probably wire it in addition to the existing kill switch and with an override function in case of lost lanyard (as simple as a way to unplug the switch).

• Like 3

Lanyards take some getting used to. Some people have been known to wave to a friend and inadvertently cut the motor in a high gear with only one hand on the bar. Most of us have ridden for years without one, it will take time.