Rise Of The Twin Shocks!

sherconoob

one of our B grade juniors borrowed a twin shock to see if he'd like to ditch his modern sherco for something older.

surprised at how he could still manage some of the advanced moves i didn't think were possible on the older beasts...

• Like 4

I reckon if somebody came up with basic "old" style bike...new they would sell as many if not more than modern bikes.....which have got so finicky based on design improvements for modern trials.

This is not an argument to step back in time but manufacturers who are selling 10% of volume they sold 20 years ago must be wondering what they need to do.

There are several people I ride with around the South West who would ride those sections on the same or similar bikes without any hopping or bouncing around,just ride through without even thinking about the clutch or stopping.The bikes are capable,(Often bog standard,without clever mods) and so are the riders.A pleasure to watch...

:popcorn:

• Like 3

I suggest that because most T/Shocks are 30+ yeras old you have to treat them with a bit respect.

A new one would certainly address that issue.

IN both video clips the ridings quite subtle, a heavy handed approach on these old bikes would soon have them on the trailer.

• Like 1

There are several people I ride with around the South West who would ride those sections on the same or similar bikes without any hopping or bouncing around,just ride through without even thinking about the clutch or stopping.The bikes are capable,(Often bog standard,without clever mods) and so are the riders.A pleasure to watch...

:popcorn:

yep, he was only hopping around because i asked him if it was hard to do on the older bikes. this TY250 was borrowed for the day because he's thinking of swapping over to twin shock so be interesting to see how he goes on it after he buys it and gets used to it. there were a few near vertical rock faces and other obstacles he didn't want to try since it wasn't his bike yet.

Often wondered why there isn't a new twinshock available. Obviously the subject has been touched upon with the Cotswolds a few years ago.Possibly the supply of engines dried up as the latest offering from Cotswold is powered by a pit bike engine. I observed at our trial on Sunday and there were a few twinshocks performing well in mucky conditions, a couple of sorted TY 175/ 200s and a 250. Good to see them .

I suggest that because most T/Shocks are 30+ yeras old you have to treat them with a bit respect.

A new one would certainly address that issue.

IN both video clips the ridings quite subtle, a heavy handed approach on these old bikes would soon have them on the trailer.

I've been thinking about your comment of treating twinshock bikes with a bit of respect.Why ? They were bloody well made,and able to take loads of abuse which is why farmers found it hard to trash them chasing cows when their value dropped to their purchase level.The Yam mono was about the last bike that farmers seemed to buy for bringing dairy herds in for milking,cant imagine a Gas Gas or Beta standing up to much of their treatment.

I don't thrash my bikes for no reason,but they have to work hard,when a section needs an aggressive approach,even my 1950 rigid AJS will get revved to valve bounce if it means cleaning a section.

• Like 1

In the day yes they were well up for it,I don't take the Bultaco out when it's wet (or wash it) beause the air box is dodgy and the casings like a gorgonzola cheese.

I would never rev it out as it sounds like a stonecrusher on the overun,rather take a 5

Ok,you could throw money (which I haven,t got) at it and sort these things

Agree most are far better made than modern offerings

Most?.