250 280 300Cc What One?

robp247

I've been a 250 man most of life but last year I went for the 280 pro. For me there is a marked difference - the 280 is more powerful but it comes in much smoother off the bottom. not sure what it's like at the top end cos I've never been there... :)

• Like 1

If you are newer rider, the 250 might be a little softer on the bottom and plenty on the top if you let it rip. The 300 is favored by many seasoned riders due to the fact you can lug the engine in a higher gear with the correct throttle control. The 280 is a bike that`s made to ride, you need to be one with the bike. The 280 and 300 can be quite a handful. All the bikes are similar, but quite different.

I currently have a 2014 300 racing and prior to that i had 07 300 pro and 11 250 pro. The 250 was terrible to ride compared to the 300`s as i ride the 300`s with simple mod of slow action throttle n 10 tooth sprocket, however the 250 i did this plus low comp head and flywheel weight. The 250 is very snappy and has little torque thus i never got on with it hence another 300. The 300 pulls softly from bottom end and will forgive you if your in to high a gear yet its not an handful just smooth constant power unlike the 250 in my opinion.

Two other friends had 250`s and one hated it n sold it and the other did some mods to tame it down, they now ride Beta 4t 300 and Sherco Cabby 305 so that tells you how big bikes are not always aggressive as people often make out. It depends on year of bike as they often change as i recall the 07 300 mine was smooth yet the 07 280 was a complete beast.

• Like 2

Funny, that! I have done exactly the same to my 300 racing. Slow throttle, and 10 tooth front.

I was advised to have flywheel weight and low comp insert, but a few folk on here and elsewhere said to just leave it and ride it for a while.

Glad i did, as im loving it now!

I tried a few GasGas bikes recently as I was looking to replace my 04 280 with a new one. I noticed that the Keihin carb on the Racing models has a much lighter spring which made the throttle a bit "trigger happy". I found the Standard bike to be a nicer/easier bike to ride due to that.

Just pootling round there wasn't much difference between the 250s and 300s that I tried. I went for the 300 in the end as I like to ride a bit "old school" using the torque and not much revs. I just thought the 250 would be less suitable to my riding style and on the bigger stuff may not have enough.

So it depends on how you ride and what level your at. For most riders below Expert level I think the Standard 250 would be perfectly fine. I've found the Standard 300 has masses of oomph when you rev it but is soft and torquing if you keep the revs down. Unless you're doing nationals (which I don't any more) I doubt anyone needs the Racing and, as demonstrated by some of the earlier posts advocating slow action throttles etc, actually in my opinion would be better off with the Standard. Oh, and in my case it was £900 cheaper than the Racing.

I was also put off by a number of people, including dealers, moaning about the Keihin re having to re-jet, change slides, constantly adjust etc. And when I asked one rider who had added a Keihin to a Standard what it was like he said "Alright if it's dry", which didn't inspire me.

It's your money though. Go and try and few out.

• Like 1

Have had a 250 2013 Gas Gas standard bike.Came from a 280 Edition.Very different. Well set up and it was a doddle to ride.Only bike i've jumped on and found i could balance there and then on . Suspension is first rate. I wheelied it up a hill over 2 concrete water pipes much to mine and my mates amazement.I liked to ride it . Ace to steer and myself thought the power ok for my level of riding . The guy i bought it off was 22 stone and i'm 11st 7.

personal view only here , but , i think if you can set the bike up to handle , it's more useful than power.You have to put that power down to make it count and if you ain't set up,it ain't going to happen proper .

The amount of lads and some ladies as well who have come from 250s and gone onto 125s of higher spec

and are having better results says something to me . just my view that's all.

Good luck with your choice.

Ted

Edited by shyted