Best Trials Engine Ever

trialsrfun

On another part of this site (engine temps 2 v 4 strokes & why do they seem to run hotter) Woody ventured to say he thought the engine fitted to Nigel Birketts TYZ special was his favourite trials motor by far.

Just why is it considered so good, I also recall reading (possibly a quote from Mr. Birkett) though I cannot remember that the engine fitted to his ex-works Suzuki was also very good, was the comparison being made with machines or bikes available at the same time as themselves or those both 2 & 4 stroke currently available.

just sold a SY 250, I love Yam lump and the TYZ lump is very good maybe not as good as the Beta rev3 (but I would say that wouldn't I)the only flaw in the TYZ engine I can see is the water pump sticking out too far.

I would say the Beat engine has better gearing and a more torque in the motor than the Yam......I would imagine Birkett would say his TYZ engines are great....he's doing it for a living :blink:

the only flaw in the TYZ engine I can see is the water pump sticking out too far.

Granted the TYZ is an older engine so its bigger than others but surely this is down to frame design and size rather than a fault in the engine? The only reason it sticks out on an SY is becasue of the fact that its fitted to an SY.

Best engine ever , dont think anyone would agree on that subject ,possibly favorite engine ever , i personally haven't been riding trials for 30 odd years like some of the guys on here so my expereince is kinda limited ,although that dont make my opinion worthless .......... TYZ motor (fitted in the sy frame )ooooh sooo creamy smooth just great power for a novice trials rider . :blink:

Gotta be the TY80 motor hasn't it? 25-30 years on and many are still going strong on the original bore. If Scorpa (or someone) could get hold of the original tooling etc. from Yamaha and put that engine in a modern chassis I reckon they'd sell containerloads.

I think the GasGas pro engine! :blink: Quater of the size of everything else, revs!, reliable, comfortable at high RPM, rhobust..... other than that, prob the jap bikes 315 or the tyz lump.... Gasgas engine - work of art :wall:

Tried most and owned many different types of modern trials bikes over the last 10 years and the Scorpa SY motor is definately my favourite. The Yamaha engine certainly flatters my ability but then I'm not much good in the first place.

Interesting thought Neon about the little Yam engine, our youngest son rides a TY80 and manys the time I have wondered why the bigger bikes lose that overall everything right sort of feeling of the TY80. Think you could be right about an up to date version selling like hot cakes.

Personally I had never given any thought to best engine until it was mentioned recently on Trials Central but even if you have a ride on a bike similar to your own invariably the engine response is not the same, sometimes sharper or flatter presumably due to differing individual carb and ignition adjustment.

Unfortunately I took a 20 year hiatus so have no real experience between the Sherpa T and my SY250. Briefly had a GG 280 and rode a TY175 for a while. I bought the SY250 primarily for the motor (pleasantly surprised with the rest of the package). The Yam motor comes as close to the smooth power of the heavy flywheeled vintage bikes I grew up with. The TY engines, 80 & 175 are bulletproof, wonder if the current crop of engines will be hauling old farts over the rocks 20 years from now.