I Am Sick Of This Bias Towards Trials Motorcycles!

mags

sometimes land availability has no bearing on whether or not one can practice...................pesky things called responsibilities, and wife and children and the biggest pain in the a***....work.

:D

I plan on having no responsibilities, hehe. I hear you on the work front though. I need all the practice I can get! ;)

• Like 1

To the OP... Your answer is Google Earth. I live in San Diego, and with the help if this app I have found countless (illegal) places to ride. I've never been caught because I go out of my way not to run into anyone.

Huh !!! :stupid:

To the OP... Your answer is Google Earth. I live in San Diego, and with the help if this app I have found countless (illegal) places to ride. I've never been caught because I go out of my way not to run into anyone.

MMMmmmm! I would never ride illegally here in my state. We have some of the most stringent legislation in the world for doing illegal stuff here.

It comes under the Anti-Hoon Legislation and first offence is motorcycle confiscated for 48 hrs, then a month, then 3 months. If offence is bad enough you lose car/motorcycle and it is auctioned off to highest bidder.

Also... riding a motorcycle on a public road unregistered can get your licence cancelled and/or a healthy fine and loss of licence points. Your motorcycle is usually towed away and its a visit to holding yard and pay associated costs to redeem it. You might be busy in Magistrates Court as well.

WE dont have a Bill of Rights unfortunately!

I did it as a kid.... rode my XR75 on a public road... got arrested, charged, released to Dad and had to appear in court Monday morning. I was 14 or so.

Mags

Yup, so I don't ride on any public roads. You kind of need to see where these spots are. San Diego has mountains surrounded by hills surrounded by mountains. I call these illegal spots because I'm sure that's what they are, but we are talking places several ranges back with no homes or farmers or people anywhere in sight. There are old access roads carved decades ago with housing pads here and there that no one has any interest in buying for some time. I trailer the bike in and out.

Google earth is an amazing tool. I drive around constantly looking around at hills and distant mountains and when I get home I see if there is way to get to them and if there are no houses. Depending on where you live you may find somewhere to ride 20 mins to half an hour from your house.

I have tried justifying riding more and its cost in leiu of a gym membership. Doesn't always pan out but for those who need a justification of "investment".

--Biff

I'm with you Biff... and hour on a trials bike in a creek bed is great for core training! Gym is for the chest shavers! (bicepCurlWink) Hehehehehehe

• Like 1

Pat,

I have not been on any early-ish Montesa bikes.... That Johnny M won't ship my 2 stroke Mont to me!!! I have not even had a go on a 2 stroke trials bike!

We went 4 stroke because we practice at home which is a suburban block in a capital city. The neighbours 2 stroke lawn mowers are louder so none have complained about us riding the bikes around the yard.

When we purchased it was always going to be 4 stroke. A Montesa Cota was not available at the time (or so I thought) so I went with the Beta 250 4T for my wife to learn on and purchased the Montesa Cota Standard some 8 weeks or so later.

I have been very happy with both bikes with a bias towards the Montesa because of the better quality.

I have offered to buy my wife a Repsol Replica for 2015 but she wants to stay with her Beta. She rides the Montesa at times so knows the bike.

Mags

• Like 1

Three friends and myself might have the issue solved!!! We are going to look at a property about 80 kilometres away from home. Its just on 180 acres and has some hills as well as flat areas. We are pretty sure it has water frontage but will know for sure when we look over it.

$360,000 divided by 4 makes it viable. All of us ride motorcycles and 3 of the 4 have young kids so a quad or off-road polaris 4 wheeler might be in order.

I have a 16 yr old that gets her car learners licence tomorrow and has to do 100 hrs certified before applying for car licence test.

AND.... the real appeal for us... A place of our own to make some permanent sections for the trials bikes!!! Overnight stays would be fantastic! We are thinking of dropping 4 big, second hand shipping containers there for a bit of storage initially.

I'll have the other 3 converted to trials within 6 months!!! Hehehehehehe

Mags

Edited by mags
  • Like 2

We have a couple to look at now. I've had a chat with the "boys" and they are all keen but we have decided if for any reason it doesn't feel right we'll pull the pin and look at more... or just not do it.

We also have to factor in... another mate just purchased 400 acres a little further away but we can use it anytime. The only downside is it has cattle on it not used to motorbikes. I've told the boys I won't be stressing cattle. We are looking at fencing off an area for quads and trials maybe?

I also need to search more areas closer to the city and ask permission to ride.

Mags

When I was a youngen, we would practice and hold events on a very nice gentleman's dairy farm. The cows roamed free but twice a day they came up to the Milking barn. We just kept a bit of distance between us and them and there were no problems.

One benefit to riding on a dairy farm was the game of "spray the guy behind you with a cowpie". Whack the throttle when rear tire is going through the cow pie and guy behind you gets a facefull. (obviously the fresher the better)

• Like 1