Sherco 250 Vs 290

5again

Almost sorry I posted on this now but, as Ian says, horses for courses. For my level of ability the 200 is less likely to spin out for the very reason that my clutch and throttle control is not that of an expert. 5again rides on mud/chalk etc so I would have thought grip/traction is a prime requirement and in his own words he is feetup challenged. For those reasons surely the 200 is worthy of consideration?

Really yes, there are lots of reasons why alot of clubman riders should opt for 200's, controllable power being the prime reason, lack of any real obstacles being another. What I don't accept is the way Birkett in TMX nearly always says that 75% of us should be on them.

Maybe Nigel is right in so far as we are talking semantics. The point I was making about repacking silencers was that an unsmooth lumpy exhaust note will affect the way power is put down and therefore grip / traction* (delete as applicable).

Maybe to sum up - we should all make sure we save up and keep new rear tyres on our bikes.

a GOOD RIDER ON A 125/200 WILL BEAT A POORER RIDER ON A BIG BIKE EVERY TIME. Even the smaller displacement bikes will go over Very Big stuff.

I believe it was Ray Peters who demo'ed the Sherco 125 on the champ lines at El Trial. I recently witnessed another similar example at the Central Regionals i believe, with the 125 four banger Scorpa clealing all the Master lines. Quite impressive.

I do believe that better technique is required to make it happen!

I also believe that the big bore bikes make you lazy in the sense that you learn to rely on power rather than skill.

I also admit to being one of the lazy ones, unless I am taking the wifes 125 out for a bit of practice. I always seem to just have fun riding the wee bike and am amazed at what it will do if I have the guts to do it!

I also admit to having ridden the 125 in a trial or two and it really get some folks attention when they get beat by a small bike.

There is certainly no shame in competing on the smaller bikes, ask Ishy, who rode the SSDT on a 125.

Don't feel bad if you get beat by a Chicken! B)

5 again,

Go try the different ones. Give a 200 or 125 a try. You might be suprised.

My daughter now owns the Pizza bike from Ishy that Copemech mentioned and I rode it 2 weeks ago and took 5th Advanced in a rather challenging STRA event. (and I am a good sized boy) (18 stone I think was the translation) (250 (and loosing) pounds)

All this discussion is really pointless, because the only thing that matters at the end of the day is what you think and how it feels too you.

Personally, I could switch between the 125, 250 and the 290 and have plenty of fun and not feel let out. There are some places where each are better, but I ride a variety of things so it really all balances in the end.

Let me also add in on the "same Grip" line

While technically yes, they are the same, I challenge you to find someone that you put on the 290, then on the 125, that does not absolutely swear it is a smaller sized machine. Not motor mind you. They will swear the frame is smaller and the bike is lighter. Try it sometime. The only thing I can say is that the smaller rotating mass, just makes them feel much smaller. I would swear to you that I can hop my daughters 125 far better than my 290 and I am sure Dabster would tell me it is rubbish.

But then again, it is my story and I am sticking with it!

Good luck, go ride em and pick what works for you.

One really important factor anyone should consider when deciding how many cc's is needed is the type of terrain you ride in and te altitude. In slippery, snotty, loose stuff, the smaller bore is probably lots less likely to spin away it's traction. But on a forty foot long 40 degree granite slab at 8000 ft, a 125 or even a 200 may run out of grunt in a hurry, especially if you have to roll off that throttle for some reason and then get back on it halfway up.

Another place the small bores are at a disadvantage is on rugged high altitude trail rides, such as the Five Miles of Hell. On a big bore you just put it in 3rd, and enjoy the scenery. On a small bore your clutch fingers and shift foot are going to be fanning through the gears continuously trying to find a gear that will work in the constantly changing terrain. If there's ten inches of sand in the bottom of the draw, which there is in many of the canyons of the 5MOH, the small bores are really at a disadvantage.

So the type of terrain you ride in most and the altitude that you ride at can play a major factor too in how much enjoyment you get out of a particular steed.

It seems to me that Dabster is never wrong and is always right  B).............. there's one on every chat forum.

They fail to see that everyone has there own opinion  B)

I see you've made a friend for life Nige

Wow ! - been out for a few days, can't believe the response and amount of viewpoints. Need to check out the dictionary for the difference between grip and traction now B)

Good news is that I think I have cadged a 200 for an event to try one out, can't wait, just hope there aren't too many climbs for my portly frame. I guess it should have been 200 vs 250 vs 290.

errr, yes, well quite.

Had a great day on an '03 200 - she never gave up the struggle but was a bit flat on some of Bognor's bigger climbs, especially with my 15 stone, had to really rev the nuts off it, rather than torque it up in third. Bit of a secret weapon in the tight stuff though, great good grip / traction.

Don't think I could bring myself to part with my cash for one, probably going to go back and look at the 250/290 again.